Offensive expectations

dudacek

Fill in the blanks:

I will satisfied with (-----'s) season if he gets (---)

Vanek 35-40 goals

Leino 20 goals, 50-60 points

Boyes 20-25 goals, 50 points

Roy 75 points

Ennis 20 goals, 50 points

Stafford 30 goals, 60 points

Gerbe 20 goals or 35 points

Pominville 25 goals, 65 points (assuming he's ready for camp)

Hecht 10 goals, 35 points

Fill in the blanks:

Vanek 35-40 goals

Roy 75 points

You will be satisfied if the Sabres score 10 more goals with the 9 players you mentioned then they did all last season as a team?

You will be satisfied if the Sabres score 10 more goals with the 9 players you mentioned then they did all last season as a team?

Yeah while individually, all those players may be capable of posting those numbers, if they scored at that pace as a team they are winning the Presidents trophy.

Not to mention the D should also be improved offensively.

That is 205 goals(assuming Roy is 25 goals). It will take a few more than that to win the Presidents (president's? Presidents'?) trophy. How many did we score in 06-07, 305? Are we going to get another 100 goals from our D and 4th line? Those numbers look reasonable, and are average seasons for most of those players.

That is 205 goals(assuming Roy is 25 goals). It will take a few more than that to win the Presidents (president's? Presidents'?) trophy. How many did we score in 06-07, 305? Are we going to get another 100 goals from our D and 4th line? Those numbers look reasonable, and are average seasons for most of those players.

I think this is assuming that your boy Sekera will break Gretzky's 92 goal record and score the rest of those 100 goals all by himself.

OT: I'd be happy with those numbers. Can't we expect a little more out of Leino? Are those numbers adjusted to reflect his position change?

Fill in the blanks:

Vanek 35-40 goals

Roy 75 points

Stafford better hit 70+ points with that raise of his, or he's just another bad contract.

That said, it's a team game.

Stafford better hit 70+ points with that raise of his, or he's just another bad contract.

This is just not true ... there were only 24 guys in the whole league who hit 70 points last season. Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Steve Nash, Nicklas Backstrom, Phil Kessel, Dany Heatley ... none of them got to 70 points last season and all make more, some quite a bit more. 30 goals and 60 points would be just fine from Stafford for what they are paying him.

I'd be not only satisfied, but thrilled (I think this is your point). That leaves 9 more skaters to score goals. And just ten more goals for the team would have put the team fifth in the league instead of ninth:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLAAAAll&sort=avgGoalsPerGame&viewName=goalsFor

Add in just one goal each from the other 9 skaters, and the team would have been first.

Keep in mind winning games is a 2-edged sword (appropriate for the Sabres huh?) They can score all they want but if the defense allows just as many goals the net effect is they don't win many more games. Now, if their defense improves (which I think most people expect) then even a "marginal" increase in goals may have significant impact in the overall standings.

I'm not a stats guy so I won't attempt to guess at individual numbers but barring injuries (or a laxidaisical attitude) I have to believe the Sabres are going to finish better than last year.

With the revamped D, hopefully the Sabres will need fewer goals to win games. So 10 more goals isn't so bad. (actually 10 more goals would probably come close to leading the league)

Fill in the blanks:

Vanek 35-40 goals

Roy 75 points

Great thread. Here are my #s:

Vanek 40 goals, 70 points

Leino 22 goals, 65 points

Boyes 23 goals, 45 points

Roy 27 goals, 70 points

Ennis 24 goals, 57 points

Gerbe 22 goals, 40 points

Pommer 23 goals, 60 points

Hecht 16 goals, 42 points

I think if he becomes a consistent 30-goal scorer AND shows up in the playoffs, it's a good-to-great deal for the Sabres.

I was looking to get a handle on what the board thought individual forwards needed to do to in order to pull their weight (thanks NFreeman)

Interesting that although a lot of you seem to think the group has little chance of collectively reaching those numbers, I'm not reading anyone saying the individual numbers are out of whack.

And those numbers add up to a pretty potent attack.

Does that mean Darcy has assembled enough offense, and it's up to the players and Lindy to make it work?

I was looking to get a handle on what the board thought individual forwards needed to do to in order to pull their weight (thanks NFreeman)

Interesting that although a lot of you seem to think the group has little chance of collectively reaching those numbers, I'm not reading anyone saying the individual numbers are out of whack.

Does that mean Darcy has assembled enough offense, and it's up to the players and Lindy to make it work?

I don't think the numbers are out of whack at all ... whether it is "enough offense" is kind of another matter when you consider Boston scored just 4 more goals last season and won it all while Calgary scored 1 more than the Sabres and missed the playoffs. Will they be consistent or pile up goals in blowouts against bad teams? Will the lack of depth at center bite them again because of injury? That's something Darcy would have to take some of the heat for even if they do score more goals than last season.

Great thread. Here are my #s:

Vanek 40 goals, 70 points

Leino 22 goals, 65 points

Boyes 23 goals, 45 points

Roy 27 goals, 70 points

Ennis 24 goals, 57 points

Gerbe 22 goals, 40 points

Pommer 23 goals, 60 points

Hecht 16 goals, 42 points

I think if he becomes a consistent 30-goal scorer AND shows up in the playoffs, it's a good-to-great deal for the Sabres.

Great numbers. I don't think Gerbe or Ennis will have a sophomore slump either.

Fill in the blanks:

Vanek 35-40 goals

Roy 75 points

I'd love to see Vanek break through the 50 mark this season which I think is very possible given the addition of Leino, a healthy Roy, and another year under Stafford/Ennis/Gerbe's belt.

Well, I was thinking about the question more on an individual target basis. The #s I listed would be what I would peg as each guy's individual target. I don't expect every guy to hit his target. If most of them do, AND they keep it going in the playoffs (which is what the Sabres' "top 6" have consistently failed to do since Black Sunday), AND they get good D and good goaltending, they can be real contenders this year.

This thread is about "offensive expectations." Please excuse me if I don't try to predict individual goal totals.

A huge factor in the Sabres offense will be the number of power-plays the Sabres can draw. Last season they were tied for 21st in the league with 279. That has to improve, if for no other reason than to give your big ticket signing Ehroff more chances to do what he does best. On paper the Sabres power-play should be extremely effective.

Percentages are nice, I would rather see the Sabres at last-season's percentage of 19.4% with 300 opportunities then I would with last-season's 279. It may only be a difference of 3-4 goals. That can be a three or four win difference in a tightly contested conference.

This thread is about "offensive expectations." Please excuse me if I don't try to predict individual goal totals.

A huge factor in the Sabres offense will be the number of power-plays the Sabres can draw. Last season they were tied for 21st in the league with 279. That has to improve, if for no other reason than to give your big ticket signing Ehroff more chances to do what he does best. On paper the Sabres power-play should be extremely effective.

Percentages are nice, I would rather see the Sabres at last-season's percentage of 19.4% with 300 opportunities then I would with last-season's 279. It may only be a difference of 3-4 goals. That can be a three or four win difference in a tightly contested conference.

Even if the powerplay doesn't improve a 0.1% and/or they don't get any extra opportunities this year, I expect the powerplay to cut the SH goals against in 1/2 at minimum. Playing 2 D on both units will make them far sounder than they were last year when there is pressure on at the point.

If this is the team they start the year with, I will be very unhappy if Poms or any other forward takes a regular shift at the point on the pp.

Having 2 D on the pp point could be your 4 win difference right there.

Even if the powerplay doesn't improve a 0.1% and/or they don't get any extra opportunities this year, I expect the powerplay to cut the SH goals against in 1/2 at minimum. Playing 2 D on both units will make them far sounder than they were last year when there is pressure on at the point.

If this is the team they start the year with, I will be very unhappy if Poms or any other forward takes a regular shift at the point on the pp.

Having 2 D on the pp point could be your 4 win difference right there.

Very true.

Interesting state regarding short handed goals. The Canucks gave up only 2 in the regular season. In 25 playoff games they gave up six. Which is one more than all other teams combined.

Very true.

Interesting state regarding short handed goals. The Canucks gave up only 2 in the regular season. In 25 playoff games they gave up six. Which is one more than all other teams combined.

IIRC they gave up 2 shorties to Boston in the same period in game 3 or 4.

Archived