Offensive expectations

dudacek

The other point that really needs to be made here is that the #s many posters have provided in this thread are regular season #s signifying regular season expectations. In order for this coming season not to be a disappointment, this team needs to make a run in the playoffs, and in order for that to happen, the Sabres' top forwards need to produce in the playoffs at a level commensurate with their regular season targets. If Roy, Pommer, Stafford, Boyes, etc. "put up numbers" again in the regular season but disappear again in the playoffs, and if the "top 6" again fails to score a single goal in the 2nd and 3rd periods of a playoff series, then those individuals' seasons will again be disappointments regardless of what they do in the regular season.

The other point that really needs to be made here is that the #s many posters have provided in this thread are regular season #s signifying regular season expectations. In order for this coming season not to be a disappointment, this team needs to make a run in the playoffs, and in order for that to happen, the Sabres' top forwards need to produce in the playoffs at a level commensurate with their regular season targets. If Roy, Pommer, Stafford, Boyes, etc. "put up numbers" again in the regular season but disappear again in the playoffs, and if the "top 6" again fails to score a single goal in the 2nd and 3rd periods of a playoff series, then those individuals' seasons will again be disappointments regardless of what they do in the regular season.

You are right about all of this. With the defense as improved as it is and I am including Myers being better and Weber continuing with his playoff form, then this teams real concern is playoff production. However I think with the improved defense the forwards minds might be in the right place and they can execute their game much more efficiently. Also I think Ennis, Leino, and Gerbe change the dynamics of this team in the playoffs. Kassian if he is ready could as well. I am excited for the regular season but I am curious to see this team in the playoffs. A lot of questions to be answered.

This isn't totally applicable to this thread, but I didn't think it was new-thread-worthy, and I like this thread, and I think this item is worth sharing, so here it is: Top 25 centers in the NHL from Puck Daddy.

Guess who's NOT on the list?

...Nathan Gerbe or Brad Boyes? :rolleyes:

anyways, I wouldn't expect Roy to be on that list considering he missed more than half of last season. Crosby is crosby so thats why it doesnt matter about the time he missed. Roy has a lot to prove this season.

Can't do numbers, but I'd say it'll take a while but when we get going there might well not be alot between us and division champions. Vanek, Roy, Pom, Leino and Boyes. Expecting big things from Ernhoff (sp?) and Sekera in particular this season.

This isn't totally applicable to this thread, but I didn't think it was new-thread-worthy, and I like this thread, and I think this item is worth sharing, so here it is: Top 25 centers in the NHL from Puck Daddy.

I'll play.. the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers of the Sabres? And any center the Sabres trade for this off season or before the trade deadline....

so here are the top 25 rw and this list is such BULLSH!T that I can not even believe someone came up with some of the players on here. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Looking-ahead-to-2011-12-Ranking-the-NHL-s-top-;_ylt=AnoX65aO_taVATZINeIgqux7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp9710

Jagr made the freaking list? Jagr? I guy who hasnt played in the NHL in years and idc if they justified it by saying hes a great unknown blah blah blah... Also why is Shane Doan on this list, no offense hes a good player but really? Martin Erat was horrendous last year, hes freaking like Jochen Hecht 20 goals 50pts and done... Sorry but Pommers is better than that. I am not saying the sabres are better but omfg Jagr, Doan and Erat not to mention Hemsky is way up the list and hes injured almost as much as TIMMY! this list boggles my mind. Loui Eriksson is on here? Hes not gonna be to good without richards feeding him pucks or Neal on his other wing... sorry i had to vent.

so here are the top 25 rw and this list is such BULLSH!T that I can not even believe someone came up with some of the players on here. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Looking-ahead-to-2011-12-Ranking-the-NHL-s-top-;_ylt=AnoX65aO_taVATZINeIgqux7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp9710

Jagr made the freaking list? Jagr? I guy who hasnt played in the NHL in years and idc if they justified it by saying hes a great unknown blah blah blah... Also why is Shane Doan on this list, no offense hes a good player but really? Martin Erat was horrendous last year, hes freaking like Jochen Hecht 20 goals 50pts and done... Sorry but Pommers is better than that. I am not saying the sabres are better but omfg Jagr, Doan and Erat not to mention Hemsky is way up the list and hes injured almost as much as TIMMY! this list boggles my mind. Loui Eriksson is on here? Hes not gonna be to good without richards feeding him pucks or Neal on his other wing... sorry i had to vent.

You could probably talk me into swapping Pominville for Shane Doan. The only thing I don't like about Doan is his age.

Wow. Not a single one, huh?

(Not surprised. This is a--no, the--position of need.)

Oh for God's sake. Jagr and Doan, even on the down slope, are each twice the player that Pommer is. And Eriksson has much more game.

Oh for God's sake. Jagr and Doan, even on the down slope, are each twice the player that Pommer is. And Eriksson has much more game.

For all their faults I'd rather have Stafford/Pom. At least if they do badly you know they CAN do better. Jagr at least is well past that point, if he busts, chance are its just decline.

So you'd swap Jagr for Pommers straight up?

Absolutely, although my answer would be different if Jagr had Pommer's contract and vice-versa.

As I've posted many times, Pommer is a nice 2-way player but has a limited game and is not a difference-maker (also, if you eliminate his contract and Hecht's, now you have enough cap room for a star center). Jagr is also limited but is extremely dangerous on offense. Which one would you rather have on the Sabres' power play?

For all their faults I'd rather have Stafford/Pom. At least if they do badly you know they CAN do better. Jagr at least is well past that point, if he busts, chance are its just decline.

Well, I don't think Stafford was part of the original question (at least not the one I was replying to). I think Stafford at this point is a better player than Pommer. OTOH, Doan is what the Sabres are dying for. I would trade Stafford for Doan but not for Jagr.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Looking-ahead-to-2011-12-Ranking-the-NHL-8217-;_ylt=Aq8mqegeTMg3zBhguwH9TDp7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp9767

apparently our LW is awesome at least... they include Ville Leino on the list of top 25 lw... intriguing.

Vanek is in the top 10 for LW so that should say something... no never mind after their RW top 25 I lost faith in their ability to judge positions and players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Looking-ahead-to-2011-12-Ranking-the-NHL-8217-;_ylt=Aq8mqegeTMg3zBhguwH9TDp7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp9767

apparently our LW is awesome at least... they include Ville Leino on the list of top 25 lw... intriguing.

Vanek is in the top 10 for LW so that should say something... no never mind after their RW top 25 I lost faith in their ability to judge positions and players.

Those lists are ridiculous. The rankings seems to be based on reputation rather than expectation or any real stat. True what they say about a playmaking centre though, to at least some small extent.

Archived