The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

I think the cigarettes were probably the first thing I've smoked in years. I was at one of the villages (the Karen tribe, with the women with the copper coils on their necks), and they were roughly $4 for 20 (bound in a rubber band). The odd think is they look like a small cigar with the tapered end, but you light the tapered part.

We could start a "What Are You Smoking" thread but too many posts would belong in there.

Of course by now everyone knows the myth of Canadian beer being stronger has been debunked (abw vs. abv), but this is still a fun little ditty from our Canadian friends.

Funny.

I always thought Molson Export (an old friend) was stronger than our domestics, but only by a hair. I think their Boneshaker is around 7% so we probably have them in crafts but I know little about Canadian IPAs.

Which brings us to our next discussion, what have you tried from up north? Alexander Keith's doesn't count.

Southeast Asia Beer review:

Sing-ha (Thailand): yellow beer

Chaing (Thailand): yellow beer, with slightly more flavor than Sing-ha

Tiger (Singapore): yellow beer

BeerLao (Laos): yellow beer, with a little bit of incense which was a nice change

Cambodia (Cambodia): yellow beer

Kingdom Light (Cambodia): yellow beer

Kingdom Dark (Cambodia): an OK amber, with notes of caramel and licorice

Also, Burmese cigarettes are like little cigars made with green-ish tobacco. Not bad.

I had Bintang while in Bali. Very refreshing but damn was the weather hot.

I remember drinking a lot of Algonquin beer back in the 90's. Bobby Hull was somehow involved with that brewery, and I got his autograph on an old hockey card at the Consumers in Orchard Park circa 1993-94.

The Golden Jet supporting a gold beverage. ...

Anyone remember the Bobby Hull hockey game?

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=26&lotid=263

That thing was great.

The Golden Jet supporting a gold beverage. ...

Anyone remember the Bobby Hull hockey game?

http://www.classicau...id=26&lotid=263

That thing was great.

Classic! I didn't have that Bobby Hull version, but the later version like at the top left in the link below. My brother and I would play that game for hours.

http://tablehockeygames.com/coleco.htm

Yep, and the Oskar Blues new brewery is in Brevard, NC not too far from Asheville. It's amazing the craft beer revolution that has taken place in this state considering that when I moved here in 2002 you couldn't buy beer above 6.0% abv.

A little OT I suspect, but I was just out by Wintergreen (right outside Charlotesville)over the weekend, and noticed all the brewery's on Route 151. Sure enough, there is a dedicated beer tour, The Brew Ridge Trail...nice. . Blue Mountain and Devils Backbone have won some medals in the GABF.

http://brewridgetrail.com/destinations/

Be good to do a Friday tour on a Virginia Wine Trail, then Saturday do the beer tour.

http://www.virginia.org/Listings/WineriesAndBreweries/MonticelloWineTrail/

A little OT I suspect, but I was just out by Wintergreen (right outside Charlotesville)over the weekend, and noticed all the brewery's on Route 151. Sure enough, there is a dedicated beer tour, The Brew Ridge Trail...nice. . Blue Mountain and Devils Backbone have won some medals in the GABF.

http://brewridgetrai...m/destinations/

Be good to do a Friday tour on a Virginia Wine Trail, then Saturday do the beer tour.

http://www.virginia....celloWineTrail/

That would be a nice tour. I've had some Starr Hill beers before and enjoyed them.

In my not-so-small-anymore NC town, three women have started a brewery called Bombshell Beer Company. This brewery and taproom is literally a stone's throw from my backyard man cave. If they make good beer, I could be in some trouble.

That would be a nice tour. I've had some Starr Hill beers before and enjoyed them.

In my not-so-small-anymore NC town, three women have started a brewery called Bombshell Beer Company. This brewery and taproom is literally a stone's throw from my backyard man cave. If they make good beer, I could be in some trouble.

I have family in Fuquay Varina..might have to check this place out next time down there. Plus will be there in a few weeks for a swim meet.

BTW, like the brunette!

I have family in Fuquay Varina..might have to check this place out next time down there. Plus will be there in a few weeks for a swim meet.

BTW, like the brunette!

Cool. Have you been to Aviator Brewing when visiting Fuquay before? They have a great taproom in an old train station in the historic part of town, and a restaurant across the street that from what I hear serves some great eastern NC bbq.

Also, there is Carolina Brewing Company, this is another brewery that I can walk to from my house. They do a tour every Saturday at 1 PM with free beer, and this isn't your typical brewery tour with 4 oz free samples either. I went a few weeks ago for the first time in awhile and had four pints. Free. You just can't go wrong with that!

I lived down the street (100 yards, maybe) from Sly Fox some years ago. That *was* trouble.

Cool. Have you been to Aviator Brewing when visiting Fuquay before? They have a great taproom in an old train station in the historic part of town, and a restaurant across the street that from what I hear serves some great eastern NC bbq.

Also, there is Carolina Brewing Company, this is another brewery that I can walk to from my house. They do a tour every Saturday at 1 PM with free beer, and this isn't your typical brewery tour with 4 oz free samples either. I went a few weeks ago for the first time in awhile and had four pints. Free. You just can't go wrong with that!

Have not been to Carolina, but pretty sure I have had their beers Have a good friend that lives in Wake Forest,I am pretty sure his neighbor is part owner /investor or something like that. We had a sixtel of something last time I was there. But Wake seems a long way from Holly Springs.

I lived down the street (100 yards, maybe) from Sly Fox some years ago. That *was* trouble.

Not good, I agree. I would prolly be divorced given similar circumstances

Have not been to Carolina, but pretty sure I have had their beers Have a good friend that lives in Wake Forest,I am pretty sure his neighbor is part owner /investor or something like that. We had a sixtel of something last time I was there. But Wake seems a long way from Holly Springs.

I know that two of the original CBC partners recently sold out and some new partners have come on and made some significant changes in how they market their brand. Your friends neighbor might be one of the new owners. And yes Wake Forest is a pretty good haul from Holly Springs, I'd say a 45 minute drive minimum in optimum traffic conditions. I keep a sankey connector handy in my kegerator so in case my homebrew runs dry I can just head over to CBC and pick up a keg of their beer to have on tap.

BTW, when atr the Total Wine yesterday, picked up some more Hennepin, and the bottle has changed, purple label now instead of the yellow. Had to really look to make sure it was what i wanted.

Also picked up a few larger bottles of the Hardywood Singel, a brewery here in Richmond. For those who like the Belgiums

http://www.hardywood...ardywood-singel

Edited by plenzmd1

So a brewing friend of mine just got back from a work trip to Europe and I stopped by his place on the way home from work yesterday for a pint or two of homebrew. As I'm getting ready to leave he says that he forgot something, so he runs inside and when he comes back he hands me a bottle of Westvleteren 12 straight from Belgium! This stuff was selling for $85 a six pack retail back in December, now it would sell for many multiples of that on the secondary market if you can find some. I'll need to age this beer and save it for a truly important occasion.

So a brewing friend of mine just got back from a work trip to Europe and I stopped by his place on the way home from work yesterday for a pint or two of homebrew. As I'm getting ready to leave he says that he forgot something, so he runs inside and when he comes back he hands me a bottle of Westvleteren 12 straight from Belgium! This stuff was selling for $85 a six pack retail back in December, now it would sell for many multiples of that on the secondary market if you can find some. I'll need to age this beer and save it for a truly important occasion.

That's way cooler than the bottle of ###### Brew I got from a friend yesterday!

How long can a beer age before it starts to go bad? I had always thought beer had a finite shelf-life compared to something like wine or whiskey.

How long can a beer age before it starts to go bad? I had always thought beer had a finite shelf-life compared to something like wine or whiskey.

Yes for most beers you do want to consume them fresh, but as a general rule some of the higher alcohol styles like barleywine, imperial stout and belgian quads do benefit from aging.

Yes for most beers you do want to consume them fresh, but as a general rule some of the higher alcohol styles like barleywine, imperial stout and belgian quads do benefit from aging.

What kind of aging time are we looking at? I've had a few high-alcohol beers over the years and haven't been impressed, but I can not attest to the quality or lineage of what I sampled. But aging a brew sounds, in theory, like something ideal in order to really bring out the flavors. Any low-cost brand, type suggestions for someone who likes hoppy, yeasty notes?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.