Drury

wonderbread

Drury Buf-Bound  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should Drury re-sign w/ Buffalo?

• Yes only short-term
    • Yes sign him long-term and see wht happens
    • No, retire and nvr come back to the Queen City

Can't the strangers simply offer Drury a 3-5 year position with the team and over pay him something like 1.5 mil to get him to "accept" retirement? It's all money off the books and cheaper than buying him out. How could anyone prove foul?

Can't the strangers simply offer Drury a 3-5 year position with the team and over pay him something like 1.5 mil to get him to "accept" retirement? It's all money off the books and cheaper than buying him out. How could anyone prove foul?

It's completely unnecessary. If he retires due to injury he gets his money anyway.

It's completely unnecessary. If he retires due to injury he gets his money anyway.

P

Reports are he would only get 4 mil instead of the 5 mil contract and the 5 mil counts against the salary cap until the season starts. This way he retires gets his 5 mil + and hps the team out so they can go after Richards or whoever.

The 4 mil would be an insurance payment if he retired injured,

P

Reports are he would only get 4 mil instead of the 5 mil contract and the 5 mil counts against the salary cap until the season starts. This way he retires gets his 5 mil + and hps the team out so they can go after Richards or whoever.

The 4 mil would be an insurance payment if he retired injured,

His cap his is $7.05 million, so that's what counts against the cap, not just $5 million. The $4 million figure is what the team's insurance policy would pay out, the team covers the rest. He's getting that $5 million no matter what happens.

His cap his is $7.05 million, so that's what counts against the cap, not just $5 million. The $4 million figure is what the team's insurance policy would pay out, the team covers the rest. He's getting that $5 million no matter what happens.

And the team can only get the insurance payment and put him on long term injured reserve if he reports to camp and fails his physical

And the team can only get the insurance payment and put him on long term injured reserve if he reports to camp and fails his physical

Ok, I see. It contradicts past posts in this thread. This makes more sense.

ny post is reporting the buy-out will be announced today.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/drury_skates_off_SvMhk1nCoGVFmCOprpRIAJ

EDIT: fwiw, It is believed Drury, who would have received the full $5 million due for the final season of his five-year, $35.25 million contract had he been declared medically unable to perform as opposed to the $3.333 million he will collect on the buyout, will seek to continue his career, perhaps in Buffalo, from whence he came on July 1, 2007.

The fact that he is walking away from millions because he still wants to play hockey should tell you all something.

It tells me that (a) his knee isn't "chronic" like Torts said it was, (b) other teams have told his agent they will pay him to play hockey, and © he will take less money to play than he would get for not playing.

( C ) is exactly the kind of guy you want on your team, isn't it?

( C ) is exactly the kind of guy you want on your team, isn't it?

if he can pass a physical, i like him a lot as a third line/situational guy.

i'd take him over connolly, that's for sure. with the floor and cap where they're at, i think someone overpays for connolly.

if he can pass a physical, i like him a lot as a third line/situational guy.

Well, yeah, that's what I mean. Too many people have cast this debate in terms of the Drury of four years ago. That guy is gone. But I've got to believe he can still win faceoffs and play a role on special teams...for less money than we were just paying Connolly to do less of.

frickin GR550 sent out an e-mail alert - the preview icon poppped up on my desktop - i just saw WGR550 ALERT: Chris Drury, and i was all "ooooooh!"

send out an alert when we sign someone, not when someone else buys out a player (as interesting a player as he may be).

I could actually see it dragging on a day or two. The dropoff in the FA pool is so steep that he doesn't have very much pressure to rush a deal.

Yep. We'll be on pins and needles through the holiday weekend.

I can not believe all these talks about Drury back to buffalo sorry I dont see how he helps this team in any way

Well if the Sabres miss out on Richardson, Drury is an okay alternate... Maybe give him a 1 year deal. Assuming he does so-so, you pick up someone else next year when the FA market is supposed to be better. If the magic returns, sign him to an extension.

Well if the Sabres miss out on Richardson, Drury is an okay alternate... Maybe give him a 1 year deal. Assuming he does so-so, you pick up someone else next year when the FA market is supposed to be better. If the magic returns, sign him to an extension.

That's the thing, next years market isn't better.

not up the middle anyways.

We're going to acquire our centerman via a trade or through free agency. Drury has a bum knee as far as I'm concerned and with the rate things are changing roster wise, i keep craving less old and more new.

I was one of the few that thought connolly's return (given the right price) wouldn't be a terrible thing, but given what i've seen now. I'd much rather have talbot. Drury is the last oldtimer i want to add.

That's the thing, next years market isn't better.

not up the middle anyways.

We're going to acquire our centerman via a trade or through free agency. Drury has a bum knee as far as I'm concerned and with the rate things are changing roster wise, i keep craving less old and more new.

I was one of the few that thought connolly's return (given the right price) wouldn't be a terrible thing, but given what i've seen now. I'd much rather have talbot. Drury is the last oldtimer i want to add.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Richardson??? Didn't he play defense for Toronto? Drury is NOT an "okay alternate". The guy is over the hill.

PLUS...it would be embarrassing for him to come back. He left us because his childhood dream was to play for the Rangers (not that Quinn/Golisano did anything to sway him). So he did that and is now so useless that he is bought out.

Now do you think he wants to come back here? "Hey Chris, how did that Ranger gig work out for you?" "You say you're knee is ruined so you want to end your career back here?" "And you allowed the Rangers to buy you out when you could have stopped it just so they would have more money to pursue Richards?"

"Well WELCOME BACK, here's the key to the city!!!"

Like hell.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived