[OT] US Women's National Team

dEnnis the Menace

My little sister played for the Olympic Development team here in NY as a keeper for two years, and now will be playing soccer at Daemen College next year. Ever since she started playing soccer, I have become more and more interested in it during the hockey offseason. I found myself this past Sunday yelling at the TV just about as hard as I would during a Sabres playoff game. I was only trumped by my sister and her boyfriend screaming at Marta and the Ref...

So this brings me to my question, I'm curious as to who will be watching or is actually following the women's team in the women's world cup this year.

EDIT: and by this year, I mean specifically, who will be watching tomorrow at Noon?

I'm going to have a tough time watching tomorrow, but I did leave the Sabres development camp early on Sunday so I could catch the second half (and, as it turned out, ET and PKs), and, should we beat the frenchies tomorrow, I will watch the final live.

My little sister played for the Olympic Development team here in NY as a keeper for two years, and now will be playing soccer at Daemen College next year. Ever since she started playing soccer, I have become more and more interested in it during the hockey offseason. I found myself this past Sunday yelling at the TV just about as hard as I would during a Sabres playoff game. I was only trumped by my sister and her boyfriend screaming at Marta and the Ref...

So this brings me to my question, I'm curious as to who will be watching or is actually following the women's team in the women's world cup this year.

EDIT: and by this year, I mean specifically, who will be watching tomorrow at Noon?

I'll probably tape it and watch it tomorrow evening.

I'm going to have a tough time watching tomorrow, but I did leave the Sabres development camp early on Sunday so I could catch the second half (and, as it turned out, ET and PKs), and, should we beat the frenchies tomorrow, I will watch the final live.

I'm pretty sure I will have to tape the finals (and possibly the third place game) since i will be in Maine for a wedding...

I don't come back until Sunday, and it's an 8 or 9 hour drive. Hopefully I can leave early enough. I will be watching the game against France tomorrow at work though. The perks of being an engineer working on designs and such? dual monitors :D

I'll definitely be watching. I was a soccer and football fan before I became a hockey fan. My family and I went crazy when Abby scored in the 122nd minute. My mother, sister, girlfriend, and I will all be watching the game tomorrow (I am not sure whether or not my brothers will be taking off work to watch it).

If you're going to watch a womens' team sport, soccer is the choice. Less diving and more teamwork than the mens' game...although the officiating is still nauseatingly inconsistent.

I'll be watching.

If you're going to watch a womens' team sport, soccer is the choice. Less diving and more teamwork than the mens' game...although the officiating is still nauseatingly inconsistent.

I'll be watching.

Diving is creeping in--there was a NYT article about it this week--and the last game had plenty of it (it would have been the story of the game were it not for Rapinoe and Wambach) but generally I think you're right.

I'll be watching.

Brazil was all over the diving last game. I couldn't believe the one woman that just walked in a circle, and then fell over...good thing the stretcher had magical healing powers. :doh:

I wish I was in Rochester to go to the Back Nine, it sounds a lot more fun than watching from my desk... :( At least I can watch though!

I'll be watching.

If you're looking to discuss the best women's sport to watch, tennis needs to be in the mix. Women's tennis is also arguably better for viewing than men's tennis.

Brazil was all over the diving last game. I couldn't believe the one woman that just walked in a circle, and then fell over...good thing the stretcher had magical healing powers. :doh:

I wish I was in Rochester to go to the Back Nine, it sounds a lot more fun than watching from my desk... :( At least I can watch though!

I played soccer for 14 years and i hated the diving. That is one sport that needs to implement and auto penalty for the diving. Simple you dive = yellow card.

Also can anyone find a video of the girl who fell over then was magically healed? I heard about it but haven't seen it, so if anyone could post that it would be cool.

I played soccer for 14 years and i hated the diving. That is one sport that needs to implement and auto penalty for the diving. Simple you dive = yellow card.

Also can anyone find a video of the girl who fell over then was magically healed? I heard about it but haven't seen it, so if anyone could post that it would be cool.

Here it is

My favorite part was the fact that her stupidity gave us the ET to score the goal :clapping:

They need a mandatory waiting period before returning to play (say 5 minutes) if you're carried off on a stretcher. That ought to end the excessive faking of injuries.

I'll be watching today. Go USA!

If you're looking to discuss the best women's sport to watch, tennis needs to be in the mix. Women's tennis is also arguably better for viewing than men's tennis.

Agreed.

Archived