Will there be anymore deals?

BetterDays06

Just to add a quick note. I have read a lot of people saying we should get a better center by trading Roy. To be honest, Roy is a solid 70 pt player (maybe more if you believe he keeps the pace from last year and a few years past). We are paying him 4 mil a season (one of the best bargains in the NHL if you ask me). I would be against trading Roy for pretty much anything. He has 2 more years left on a sweet deal and he can put up points. I see no reason to trade him at this point (and I would like to see him stay a Sabre long term).

Just my 2 cents on Roy.

As for more deals, I do not see us getting anything else (unless you count resigning MAG or Sekera). Long term, I think we are one super center short of a Stanley Cup Contender. Unfortunately, I do not think Leino will provide what we need at center (but I have been wrong many times before). That being said, if Leino preforms admirably we will be a darn good team. If they can turn Luke Adam into a face off guru and improve his defense a little, he could be a very good third line center for this team in a few years. I really do not want the Sabres to trade him away at this point. My lines would look like this:

O1: Vanek © -- Roy -- Pommers (A)

O2: Ennis -- Leino -- Staff

O3: Hecht -- Boyes -- Gerbe (Do not like putting Boyes at center)

O4: Cody Mc -- Goose (A) -- Kaleta

D1: Myers -- Regeher

D2: Ehrhoff -- Leopold

D3: Weber -- MAG -- Sekera (Pick 2)

*I would also like to see the Sabres have the team vote on Captains or Lindy name them. We need solid leadership in this team (my picks are noted above)

*I would also like to see the Sabres have the team vote on Captains or Lindy name them. We need solid leadership in this team (my picks are noted above)

I'm not crazy about your first and third lines. I've never really seen those three on your proposed first line really gel. And I'd much rather have Hecht playing center than Boyes. I would maybe send Staff up to the first line, and Pommer down to the second or third (and have Boyes at whichever wing spot Pommer isn't). Pommer and Hecht have shown that they have chemistry in the past, and I just love the idea of having a player like Pommer on the third line. I could also see Lindy switching Leino and Roy's lines in the first 20 games or so to see which players they play better with.

Just to add a quick note. I have read a lot of people saying we should get a better center by trading Roy. To be honest, Roy is a solid 70 pt player (maybe more if you believe he keeps the pace from last year and a few years past). We are paying him 4 mil a season (one of the best bargains in the NHL if you ask me). I would be against trading Roy for pretty much anything. He has 2 more years left on a sweet deal and he can put up points. I see no reason to trade him at this point (and I would like to see him stay a Sabre long term).

Just my 2 cents on Roy.

He shouldn't be high on the list of guys to move, but if it upgrades the team and makes the center position better, you make that deal. So many people seem to think that we can spin our garbage like Morrisonn (I refuse to put any effort into checking that crazy spelling) and Kotalik into a top center. It's not going to happen. You have to give something to get something and right now, Roy is an attractive piece to any trade.

(but I have been wrong many times before).

Well start being wrong so that we can call you on it. :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents on Roy.

As for more deals, I do not see us getting anything else (unless you count resigning MAG or Sekera). Long term, I think we are one super center short of a Stanley Cup Contender. Unfortunately, I do not think Leino will provide what we need at center (but I have been wrong many times before). That being said, if Leino preforms admirably we will be a darn good team. If they can turn Luke Adam into a face off guru and improve his defense a little, he could be a very good third line center for this team in a few years. I really do not want the Sabres to trade him away at this point. My lines would look like this:

Maybe we should experiment with Kotalik and put him with Gaustad and Kaleta/McCormick. Since he's known as a softer player, maybe playing with tougher players will help him. Or, maybe he's been playing the same way for so long that there's no hope for him. I just don't know why nobody here thinks he'll be on the team this year.

Maybe we should experiment with Kotalik and put him with Gaustad and Kaleta/McCormick. Since he's known as a softer player, maybe playing with tougher players will help him. Or, maybe he's been playing the same way for so long that there's no hope for him. I just don't know why nobody here thinks he'll be on the team this year.

Just tried to watch some recent vids on Kotes. All I got was this:

The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect ().

Pretty much sums it up.

Just my 2 cents on Roy.

I agree with your sentiments on Roy. I'd love to acquire another center, but wouldn't be willing to trade Roy to do it, especially when we can package a combination of wingers, defensemen, picks, or prospects for a guy who can center the 3rd line (or 2nd in a pinch). Personally, I'd like to see Leino play with Vanek though as I think their skill sets would complement each other well and I'd also prefer to see Hecht at center over Boyes since Boyes' production took a severe drop once he was shifted to center. I also slightly tweaked the defensive pairs to put younger guys with veterans while still trying to pair up puck movers with stay at home types. I'd like to see something like.

Vanek Leino Pominville

Ennis Roy Stafford

Gerbe Hecht Boyes

McCormick Gaustad Kaleta

Regehr Myers

Ehrhoff Weber

Leopold Sekera

Gragnani

Miller

Enroth

It does...sometimes. If the shorthanded team scores, those skaters receive a +1. Likewise, the PP skaters receive -1.

Aw damn I never knew that! Just another stupid stat I guess. Of course, my biggest pet peeve is getting credited with a goal when the puck bounes off of you without you knowing it. To me, that's an assist. If anything.

Vanek Leino Pominville

Ennis Roy Stafford

Gerbe Hecht Boyes

McCormick Gaustad Kaleta

Regehr Myers

Ehrhoff Weber

Leopold Sekera

Gragnani

Miller

Enroth

I don't have time to look at the numbers I was using weeks ago, but I'm fairly certain this roster is way over the Cap.

Aw damn I never knew that! Just another stupid stat I guess. Of course, my biggest pet peeve is getting credited with a goal when the puck bounes off of you without you knowing it. To me, that's an assist. If anything.

Speaking of crazy stats, I think defensemen should be able to be credited with saves. It just seems crazy that a player can put a shot directly on an open net, only to be stopped by a desperation play by a d-man and it doesn't even count as a shot. It would have to be only within the blue paint though.

Speaking of crazy stats, I think defensemen should be able to be credited with saves. It just seems crazy that a player can put a shot directly on an open net, only to be stopped by a desperation play by a d-man and it doesn't even count as a shot. It would have to be only within the blue paint though.

Says the unappreciated d-man looking for some measurable to quantify his worth to his team while the forwards sit around the locker room talking about goals and assists. :nana:

Says the unappreciated d-man looking for some measurable to quantify his worth to his team while the forwards sit around the locker room talking about goals and assists. :nana:

Not quite. I always skate up front, but I do love blocking shots.

I've always thought that a player should be able to be credited with an assist on his own goal, when applicable---- if Gil Perreault makes a highlight reel pass up to Rick Martin, Martin carries the puck into the zone and then passes back off to Perreault--- who then scores--- why shouldn't Gil get an assist, as well? It's odd that a "highlight reel" pass shouldn't count as anything just because that same player scored.

To your point, I agree in theory, but this would be a sticky area of determining "intent". All that "distinct kicking motion" crap that bogs down the flow of game commentary. It is annoying, though, that blind unintentional elbow pad deflections are goals, but an intentional glove or skate motion would be discounted.

I also think hitting the pipe should count as a shot on goal. I will never understand the logic that says it is not a SOG.

I also think hitting the pipe should count as a shot on goal. I will never understand the logic that says it is not a SOG.

It wouldn't have gone in but for an opponent stopping it. (In fact, it didn't go in.)

I think you need to look at your numbers again.

OK, done. With 12 forwards and 6 d-men, we're looking at cap space of 2.663 million. Gragnani ain't signed, and we need to have enough for call-ups or pray nobody gets hurt.

So I was wrong that we're "way over the cap". But is this roster not cutting it too close for comfort?

Archived