Will there be anymore deals?

BetterDays06

It's kind of funny that the only analysis of his play mentioned is that he's a puck mover. :lol:

What a disaster those Tampa rosters were. For a short period of time their best defenseman might have been Dougy Janik or Paul Ranger.

How Jay Feaster keeps getting jobs is beyond me.

BTW Mike Smith...ready to compete for a job in the Daysert.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2011/07/15/20110715phoenix-coyotes-goalie-mike-smith.html

It was always hilarious watching him if a PKer got past him. He would essentially give up. I'm sure he's taken a decent hit to his number over the years for those kind of lackluster plays. It's the kind of thing that just screams "sign someone else" if you're trying to piece together a winner.

It's kind of funny that the only analysis of his play mentioned is that he's a puck mover. :lol:

He was supposed to become a good goaltender, and he was really good playing the puck as a goalie. He was there with Turco and Brodeur level. Unfortunately, the rest of his game never rounded out and he became one of these guys with lots of promise that became a career backup. Maybe he gets a second chance with Phoenix this year, but call me skeptical.

By the way, this is why I get so bugged by these people who say Enroth should be the starter and trade Miller now, etc. Mike Smith is another goalie in a long line of promising young talent that everyone thought would take his game to the next level and become an excellent starting goalie only to fizzle away his career in Tampa when he was given the opportunity. Sure, there were some bad teams there especially on defense, but he was overrated because no one had the book on him when he was a backup. This is why, the better play for Buffalo might be to trade Enroth and have someone overpay for him on a contract they don't want for a great player just like how Tampa got robbed when they traded Richards.

By the way, what a horrible deal that was. Halpern, Jussi Jokinen, Smith, and a 4th round pick for Richards and Johan Holmqvist. Are you kidding me? :blink:

The thing about NY is there are secondary marketing opportunities beyond "still sleeping on my city mattress," "Veins, Veins, Veins" and "Definitely DeLacy"

True, true. Wasn't Derek Roy repping some national product a few years ago? I don't remember what it was, though (so much for that publicity campaign).

Ha! No, it was a beverage; of that I'm certain.

I remember Roy had replaced Briere as spokesman for a Canadian sports drink--- I believe it had a French name, and there were life sized cardboard signs in the Galleria. There may even have been bus ads, as well.

I remember Roy had replaced Briere as spokesman for a Canadian sports drink--- I believe it had a French name, and there were life sized cardboard signs in the Galleria. There may even have been bus ads, as well.

That's definitely what I'm remembering. The bus ads solidify the memory. I don't remember Briere as the rep, though.

That's definitely what I'm remembering. The bus ads solidify the memory. I don't remember Briere as the rep, though.

Briere's time as rep was just during the 2006-07 season--- I think the cardboard ads started showing up in fron of GNC around christmas, which is when I was first aware of it. Roy had a longer tenure, which started that summer following July 1st, and the bus ads were definitely Roy only, IIRC. It's all kind of blurry now, but I do remember the transition from Briere to Roy in those advertisements being a sort of additional stinging reminder of the whole July 1st fiasco.

Yes, when I said a PPG player isn't a liability I meant in his entirety, not in certain areas of his game.

OK, if PPG players can be liabilities, then why are there no PPG players not playing in the NHL? e.g. Yashin (a famous scoring liability) was sub-par in many areas but he stayed in the NHL for 12 seasons because of his scoring prowess. He hit a PPG in his 6th & 7th seasons. When he fell off that pace, he was dumped. If I recall, he might have been a head case, but that is a whole other topic.

Can you cite me a PPG player who was dumped WHILE he was scoring at a PPG clip? I can't find one.

Andreychuk.

This is the Briere ad I was thinking of, although this flickr set belongs to a Flyers' fan the ad itself is the same one I recalled: http://www.flickr.com/photos/neat1325/2696817071/sizes/z/in/photostream/

This is kind of an off-topic post, but I think we should put the words "Drury" and "Briere" in the language filter in these forums and make it censored whenever someone dare say it...

Archived