Free Agent Frenzy 2011

spndnchz

Sabres rated 3rd best in Free Agency behind Caps and Rangers.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=568536&navid=DL|NHL|home

arbitrary if you ask me. The caps have had a good offseason so far, but in all honesty, the Rangers have done what other than sign Richards to a LUCRATIVE contract?

arbitrary if you ask me. The caps have had a good offseason so far, but in all honesty, the Rangers have done what other than sign Richards to a LUCRATIVE contract?

In their minds, that may be all that matters. They caught the big fish of this off-season's free agency market.

Now, watch the irony behind all of this unfold and Richards become like Chris Drury. I'm not saying that it's going to happen, but it's all and all possible.

I hardly see the Caps' moves as anything outstanding, as all players added are basically role-type players, who are typically a dime-a-dozen so to speak. And the Rangers over-spending for Richards is no reason for them to be put above the Sabres' in overall improvement. The Sabres added by far the best d-man available, as well as the 2nd highest rated forward, while re-signing McCormick, Weber, et al. Great moves by Darcy all-around. Along with the stealing of Regehr from Calgary, and the Sabres have had a great summer thus far.

Absolutely love what the Caps have done....The Sabres have improved far more than the Rangers IMO....especially when you consider the Regehr trade.

I hardly see the Caps' moves as anything outstanding, as all players added are basically role-type players, who are typically a dime-a-dozen so to speak. And the Rangers over-spending for Richards is no reason for them to be put above the Sabres' in overall improvement. The Sabres added by far the best d-man available, as well as the 2nd highest rated forward, while re-signing McCormick, Weber, et al. Great moves by Darcy all-around. Along with the stealing of Regehr from Calgary, and the Sabres have had a great summer thus far.

To be fair, that's exactly what the Caps have been missing. I think they've made their team subtly better, (although the Caps fans I know down here in VA are all underwhelmed) but the Sabres have made substantial improvements without overhauling the roster (a la Philly). I'd like to see one more move, perhaps a veteran 3rd liner, but I love what we've done so far.

In their minds, that may be all that matters. They caught the big fish of this off-season's free agency market.

Now, watch the irony behind all of this unfold and Richards become like Chris Drury. I'm not saying that it's going to happen, but it's all and all possible.

I don't think landing the "big name" of the offseason at that kind of cap hit/price means you had the best off season/free agency, let alone even a good one.

I think a good free agency is defined by the over all net gain of your team. Right now, as it stands, Buffalo shed some mediocre players (Byron, Butler, Montador, Connolly, etc), and picked up some above average to good players (Ehrhoff, Leino, traded for Robyn Regher (sp?)), while NY has picked up 1 good player (Richards), bought out 1 aging player (Drury), and has a TON of cap space to clear to sign two more RFA's that I'd say are good players. Not a great net change in my opinion, especially if they can't afford to sign those 2 with out dumping a ton of salary. They BARELY made it into the playoffs by the hair on their chiny chin chin, and need to do more than what they've done IMHO.

I also saw on NHL.com that they believe that Washington's Goalie tandem is the best or could be the best tandem in the league. Not sure I'd agree with this, as I believe Boston's is much better (Rask and Thomas vs Nuevirth and Vokoun?) yeah...I'd take Rask and Timmy every time.

I don't think landing the "big name" of the offseason at that kind of cap hit/price means you had the best off season/free agency, let alone even a good one.

I think a good free agency is defined by the over all net gain of your team. Right now, as it stands, Buffalo shed some mediocre players (Byron, Butler, Montador, Connolly, etc), and picked up some above average to good players (Ehrhoff, Leino, traded for Robyn Regher (sp?)), while NY has picked up 1 good player (Richards), bought out 1 aging player (Drury), and has a TON of cap space to clear to sign two more RFA's that I'd say are good players. Not a great net change in my opinion, especially if they can't afford to sign those 2 with out dumping a ton of salary. They BARELY made it into the playoffs by the hair on their chiny chin chin, and need to do more than what they've done IMHO.

I also saw on NHL.com that they believe that Washington's Goalie tandem is the best or could be the best tandem in the league. Not sure I'd agree with this, as I believe Boston's is much better (Rask and Thomas vs Nuevirth and Vokoun?) yeah...I'd take Rask and Timmy every time.

Maybe it's not what u meant but the Rangers have like 16 million in cap space right now.

I thought they had less than us? I was under the impression that they had spent more over the 10% than we had (I never checked capgeek or any of the other references). My bad.

The only team that is over the cap (on record) is Washington. They are 1.8 million over.

And Gomez. And Jagr. And Zherdev. And Antropov

I swear the Rangers organization is where talent goes to die.

And Gomez. And Jagr. And Zherdev. And Antropov

I swear the Rangers organization is where talent goes to die.

I never thought of it that way, but so much for being the big bad Rangers that everyone is supposed to fear. IMO that is just so 1994.

Sounds like they're about as significant at the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers today.

I think chz already covered this, but I'll weigh in...

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. It seems to me that all the talking heads are thinking that the Rangers made such a big splash by picking up Brad Richards. I'm just not buying it. Seems to me that even though we're either close to the cap or slightly over it, we made some really significant pick-ups over the past few weeks. I would have never thought that the likes of Ehrhoff, Regehr, and Leino would be wearing blue and gold this coming season. But they are, and I think we're going to be a much bigger threat to the league than most people realize.

I think chz already covered this, but I'll weigh in...

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. It seems to me that all the talking heads are thinking that the Rangers made such a big splash by picking up Brad Richards. I'm just not buying it. Seems to me that even though we're either close to the cap or slightly over it, we made some really significant pick-ups over the past few weeks. I would have never thought that the likes of Ehrhoff, Regehr, and Leino would be wearing blue and gold this coming season. But they are, and I think we're going to be a much bigger threat to the league than most people realize.

This and I love being an underdog, if memory serves me the 05-06 team was an underdog and they were a couple injuries to many away from a cup.

I never thought of it that way, but so much for being the big bad Rangers that everyone is supposed to fear. IMO that is just so 1994.

Sounds like they're about as significant at the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers today.

The last time I saw them as any real threat was game 5 of the 2007 EC semis. After we beat them in OT, that was pretty much lights out for them. They went on to acquire some of the best available talent, and in those 4 years, they've been to the playoffs 3 times, eliminated as late as the second round.

Not to mention that even if they do make a big splash, we just acquired "The Tunnel of Death." I'm more than stoked to see what Regehr brings to the table ice.

While the Caps' additions don't blow me away, I am impressed with how they got a 1st and a 2nd rounder for a goalie who never has really impressed me, then got Vokoun for next to nothing. That was good. but overall, the Sabres get better just by subtraction losing TC, Butler, Montador and some other useless pieces and also add significant upgrades to replace these players let go. Still can not believe Chicago gave Montador four years. That's crazy!

While the Caps' additions don't blow me away, I am impressed with how they got a 1st and a 2nd rounder for a goalie who never has really impressed me, then got Vokoun for next to nothing. That was good. but overall, the Sabres get better just by subtraction losing TC, Butler, Montador and some other useless pieces and also add significant upgrades to replace these players let go. Still can not believe Chicago gave Montador four years. That's crazy!

Stupidest deal of the summer....AVS trade for Varlamov.

Stupidest deal of the summer....AVS trade for Varlamov.

They should have been able to get him for about a 5th after he said he was heading to the KHL. I don't get that one at all. Then again, this is the same team that already overpaid for Eric Johnson.

Archived