Free Agent Frenzy 2011

spndnchz

My thought is that Lindy will probably have Gerbe playing with Hecht and Pominville for the first two periods and 10 minutes of the third period. Then, when he needs to go into lockdown mode, he'll put Gaustad with Hecht and Pominville to ice the game, take key faceoffs, and play against the other team's top scoring lines during the last few minutes of the game and then shorten the bench to three lines. Assuming there is no major shakeup in lineups and this is the team we have in October, I bet that's likely how it's going to play out. Just a hunch.

I think you've mentioned this before. And it sounds reasonable to assume.

lets just go after Keith Yandle via trade instead and give ourselves the most feared D in the NHL. He doesn't want to sign in PHX because of the uncertainty there. Time to snag him and lock him up long term along with Myers. Myers, Yandle, Ehrhoff locked up long term....... we've been building up our D as the focus this off-season, why not keep doing it?

My thought is that Lindy will probably have Gerbe playing with Hecht and Pominville for the first two periods and 10 minutes of the third period. Then, when he needs to go into lockdown mode, he'll put Gaustad with Hecht and Pominville to ice the game, take key faceoffs, and play against the other team's top scoring lines during the last few minutes of the game and then shorten the bench to three lines. Assuming there is no major shakeup in lineups and this is the team we have in October, I bet that's likely how it's going to play out. Just a hunch.

A couple of us were having that discussion in the '11-'12 updated roster thread, maybe it was you that was suggesting it there. [EDIT: While you may have suggested this elsewhere & no doubt came up w/ it on your own, I must give credit to LastPommerFan for the one in that thread.] I can definitely see that happening if this is the roster they go into the regular season with.

I'm still hoping we see 1 more move. Well, 2 actually, 1 to get another center and another to get him under the salary cap.

I think you've mentioned this before. And it sounds reasonable to assume.

Wow, you know my posts better than I do. I have no recollection of posting this. Man, either I'm getting old or I'm saying the same stuff over and over again. I think I've been on the board too much this offseason. Maybe I should take a break for a few weeks if I keep banging the same old drum. Is this a post for the Community Musings thread now?

Wow, you know my posts better than I do. I have no recollection of posting this. Man, either I'm getting old or I'm saying the same stuff over and over again. I think I've been on the board too much this offseason. Maybe I should take a break for a few weeks if I keep banging the same old drum. Is this a post for the Community Musings thread now?

If it wasn't you, someone else mentioned that idea a day or two ago. Maybe it is a case of great minds thinking alike.

A couple of us were having that discussion in the '11-'12 updated roster thread, maybe it was you that was suggesting it there. [EDIT: While you may have suggested this elsewhere & no doubt came up w/ it on your own, I must give credit to LastPommerFan for the one in that thread.] I can definitely see that happening if this is the roster they go into the regular season with.

I'm still hoping we see 1 more move. Well, 2 actually, 1 to get another center and another to get him under the salary cap.

If it wasn't you, someone else mentioned that idea a day or two ago. Maybe it is a case of great minds thinking alike.

Phew! I have not lost my mind. I just saw the post by LastPommerFan. I had even posted on that thread. I guess I just missed it. :unsure: LastPommerFan, I guess great minds think alike.

I'm also one of the few Pommer fans still around. A consistent 20 goal scorer who can get, up until this year, a consistent 60 points. In addition, he's your top PK and defensive forward. Sure he's overpaid at $5.3 million/year, but he does everything, plays in every situation, and provides consistent offense. What's not to like except for his contract, which isn't really his fault anyway? I'm still a big Pominville fan, one of the few still around, I imagine.

Did McCormick play much center last season?

Niedermayer centered the 4th line for the most part, with Goose on the 3rd after Roy's injury... I'm pretty sure Cody never centered the 3rd, and certainly never got more minutes than Goose. I'd agree with weave on the need for a 3rd line centerman.

Yep. If Goose and Cody are on the 4th line, you've got a very solid one. If they're making up the core of your 3rd line, let's hope the goalie's on his game because the other team's top line is lickin' it's chops.

If 1 of them is on the 3rd line, I definitely want his wingers to be Hecht and Pomminstein. And I would prefer to have a true #3 center (or even another #2) rather than put Goose or Cody out there on a regular basis.

Very much agree.

Niedermayer centered the 4th line for the most part, with Goose on the 3rd after Roy's injury... I'm pretty sure Cody never centered the 3rd, and certainly never got more minutes than Goose. I'd agree with weave on the need for a 3rd line centerman.

Niedermayer played the wing most of the season. He just couldn't cover the ice from side to side like you need a defensive center to.

Niedermayer played the wing most of the season. He just couldn't cover the ice from side to side like you need a defensive center to.

That's right---- according to nhl.com, McCormick took 30 more draws than Nieds, although Rob had a slighter better %.

Everyone on twitter confirming Talbot to the Flyers. Talbot and Jagr substituting for Carter and Richards? I'm not sure what Holmgren was thinking.

5 years, $9 million.

Circumvention.

Flyers need to add a few 100 thousand to the final years. NHL told them to fix the contract.

62 points in 82 games last year. He was good.

(By comparison, Ville Leino had 53 points in 81 games last year with Philly. Uh oh.)

Stafford would have had 68 points in a full 82 games.

You always pay more to sign the guys early in UFA. I'd rather they sign them early and slightly overpay than lose out on them completely.

62 points in 82 games last year. He was good.

(By comparison, Ville Leino had 53 points in 81 games last year with Philly. Uh oh.)

Can't just look at the stats...Clarkie...disappeared for long stretches last season......In fairness however...so did Stafford.

Stafford would have had 68 points in a full 82 games.

You always pay more to sign the guys early in UFA. I'd rather they sign them early and slightly overpay than lose out on them completely.

I'm just saying the MacArthur contract isn't crazy at all if you look at what we paid Leino.

What does one thing have to do with the other?

Kessel goes to Toronto for TOR1st in 2010 (Seguin), TOR2nd in 2010 (Jared Knight) and TOR1st this year (Dougie Hamilton)

Kaberle goes to Boston for Joe Colbourne, BOS1st in 2011 (Traded up with ANA to get Tyler Biggs), BOS2nd in 2012 (Traded to COl for Liles)

Boston wins the cup but fails to retain Kaberle.

It's all intertwined.

Archived