Connolly vs. Drury

darksabre

I thought I read that Drury couldn't be bought out because of his injury - did something change in the last few days?

"[Drury] will become an unrestricted free agent after deciding against applying for a medical exception due to a left knee condition."

Apparently it was somewhat his choice. What that means for his career, though, is anybody's guess. I assume he'll have to pass a physical before signing with a team.

Also of note:

"Because Drury had a no-move clause in his contract, he was able to elect not to go on unconditional waivers preceding the buyout."

(Quotes from: NY Post article regarding Drury being bought out today)

He's a no-brainer in my mind. Extremely smart player, an extra set of hands for the draw, extremely responsible, and an under-rated shot.

I like Reasoner a lot. Always have. But I'm not sure he's what this team needs right now. I'd like to see a third-line center who averages more than 30 points per year. But if the depth chart is going to be Richards, Roy, Reasoner, Gaustad, I'll take it in a heartbeat! And maybe he's never played on a team with the depth at W that the Sabres have; maybe he'd have more assists here.

I like Reasoner a lot. Always have. But I'm not sure he's what this team needs right now. I'd like to see a third-line center who averages more than 30 points per year. But if the depth chart is going to be Richards, Roy, Reasoner, Gaustad, I'll take it in a heartbeat! And maybe he's never played on a team with the depth at W that the Sabres have; maybe he'd have more assists here.

I'm not sure if Reasoner has ever been on a good team.

He's not going to electrify anyone, but having a second defensive draw would help the PK quite a bit. And it would make my McQuaid friends happy.

I'm not sure if Reasoner has ever been on a good team.

He's not going to electrify anyone, but having a second defensive draw would help the PK quite a bit. And it would make my McQuaid friends happy.

Wait, he went to McQuaid? I withdraw my reccomendation.

Rather not have either of them. Time to move on from signing washed up players past their best before date. This is a new era for sabres hockey and hopefully ignoring retreads rather than signing them as a panacea for desperate sabres fans is behind us as an organization.

No thanks on Drury. A) He's washed up and B) have we all forgotten that he gave us the LeBron a few years back? Only if it's for less than $2M per year.

I would rather have Connolly, even if it takes an overpayment (which it surely will). Unfortunately, his value on the market is at its absolute peak right now, with the thin crop of available centers, higher cap, and plethora of teams clawing their way up to the new salary floor. I bet TC could clock $5M or more in Florida right now. I doubt he stays in Buffalo, but Darcy is on a hot streak right now so never say never.

"Neither" is the best answer but if it came down to just those two I'd have to say that Connolly is 1. less broken at this point in his career and 2. has more upside than Drury and is likely to get more out of skating with Pommer and Hecht.

I don't think this team needs Drury's leadership anymore so that doesn't factor. And given his drop in performance he doesn't really have the ability to command leadership anymore anyway.

Archived