Could Rick Dudley and Craig Ramsay come to Buffalo?

freester

IIRC, Rammer's never been in any sort of support capacity with the Sabres since the end of his playing days. Am I right on this?

Well, if you don't include coach as "support capacity."

And where's the spelling police when you need them? ;)

Craig Ramsay served with the Sabres from '86-'93 in various capacities, including assistant coach, interim head coach (4-15-2), and assistant general manager. If I remember right, Ramsay and Ruff are good friends. There is talk Ramsay may not be retained by True North in the move to Winnipeg, but that hasn't been announced. Some of the Winnipeg media is calling for the hiring of Claude Noel, the head coach of the (now former) Manitoba Moose. Dudley's in a similar position as GM; nothing's been announced.

Realistically, I don't know how conversations go with GMs and Head Coaches when you ask them to be Assistant GMs and Assistant Coaches.

Craig Ramsay served with the Sabres from '86-'93 in various capacities, including assistant coach, interim head coach (4-15-2), and assistant general manager. If I remember right, Ramsay and Ruff are good friends. There is talk Ramsay may not be retained by True North in the move to Winnipeg, but that hasn't been announced. Some of the Winnipeg media is calling for the hiring of Claude Noel, the head coach of the (now former) Manitoba Moose. Dudley's in a similar position as GM; nothing's been announced.

Realistically, I don't know how conversations go with GMs and Head Coaches when you ask them to be Assistant GMs and Assistant Coaches.

I would imagine it the conversations would go something like this:

Black: "Hello Rick, hows tricks?"

Dudley: "Not good, those assclowns up in Winnipeg just sh*t canned me!"

Black: "Well Rick, we need an assistant GM here in Buffalo. Someone who can really grasp the massive Scouting Dept. expansion and bring some cohesion and more experience to the organization. We're shooting for nothing less than a Stanley Cup here in Buffalo ya know."

Dudley: "Sounds exciting, what's in it for me?"

Black: "We'd like you to come in for a year as Assistant GM, we plan on ejecting Regier at the end of his contract next season. We'd thought you might like the year to put the Scouting Dept. in order to your liking then move into the GM's chair at the start of the 12/13 season. You game?"

Dudley: "I think I'd like that, after all, I have the house already in the area."

Black: "Great, see you here in a week or 2, the air fair is on the Pegster."

Dudley: "Ok, great." dudley thought; "air fair on the owner? things really are changing in Buffalo"

:thumbsup:

Why does everyone love Dudley soo much? Did he really do anything special in Atlanta? Besides re-signing some players WTF has he really done? I'm not impressed.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think if he was never a Sabre, no one would care.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think if he was never a Sabre, no one would care.

Very short stays in his management positions.

98-99 Ottawa GM

99-00 Tampa GM

10-11 Atlanta GM

Even his coaching stays have been short, longest being his 3 seasons in Buffalo. Curious.

Why does everyone love Dudley soo much? Did he really do anything special in Atlanta? Besides re-signing some players WTF has he really done? I'm not impressed.

Duds respect hasn't been so much as a GM....something I don't imagine even he's completely comfortable with...but as a scout/development guy.

He was the personnel brain behind Chicago's teams of the last 4 years, and spends as much time pro scouting as any executive in the league.

Very short stays in his management positions.

98-99 Ottawa GM

99-00 Tampa GM

10-11 Atlanta GM

Even his coaching stays have been short, longest being his 3 seasons in Buffalo. Curious.

Here's kind of what everyone misses on Dudley. He put the Tampa team together that won the Stanley Cup. Even though he did not draft LeCavalier (and almost traded him away) and Richards, he did acquire a number of players that were part of the team that won the Cup. He did acquire St. Louis and Khabibhulin. He also acquired Dan Boyle.

He was also very involved in the scouting that put together the Blackhawks team we see today. So, he was involved in the drafting of Toews and Kane (which were probably no brainers). He also was part of the Hossa signing and was a key member of Dale Tallon and Stan Bowman's team that put the Chicago team we see on the ice today.

I would also say that he helped turn around the Atlanta team that was horrible and actually iced a competitive team this past year. I think they could have done some damage if they added a few more pieces and the ownership was actually interested in hockey. It could have worked.

He has a tremendous eye for talent, and that's really what he's known for. He'd be a great addition to build Buffalo's scouting department both from a junior perspective as well as pro scouting as well. His fingerprints are part of great hockey teams.

Here's kind of what everyone misses on Dudley. He put the Tampa team together that won the Stanley Cup. Even though he did not draft LeCavalier (and almost traded him away) and Richards, he did acquire a number of players that were part of the team that won the Cup. He did acquire St. Louis and Khabibhulin. He also acquired Dan Boyle.

He was also very involved in the scouting that put together the Blackhawks team we see today. So, he was involved in the drafting of Toews and Kane (which were probably no brainers). He also was part of the Hossa signing and was a key member of Dale Tallon and Stan Bowman's team that put the Chicago team we see on the ice today.

I would also say that he helped turn around the Atlanta team that was horrible and actually iced a competitive team this past year. I think they could have done some damage if they added a few more pieces and the ownership was actually interested in hockey. It could have worked.

He has a tremendous eye for talent, and that's really what he's known for. He'd be a great addition to build Buffalo's scouting department both from a junior perspective as well as pro scouting as well. His fingerprints are part of great hockey teams.

solid answer.

More than just a headband. Gotcha. ;)

More than just a headband. Gotcha. ;)

Just a headband? He was cutting edge.

Would we have iconic 80's headbands such as Olivia Newton-John's Physical, Ralph Macchio's Karate Kid or Sylvestor Stallone's Rambo if not for Rick Dudley?

Just a headband? He was cutting edge.

Would we have iconic 80's headbands such as Olivia Newton-John's Physical, Ralph Macchio's Karate Kid or Sylvestor Stallone's Rambo if not for Rick Dudley?

Mark Knofler still gets #1 status as best headband wearin' dude even if his headband wearin' started a good half a decade after Dudley's.

Just sayin'....

Sully at the snews ripped off this thread for today's article. It's so blatant I won't even link to it.

I like to think he first got the idea from my question in the Brian McCutcheon thread. Then he went to this thread for more details. ;)

Archived