• Infiniti
    • Isuzu
    • Jaguar
    • Land Rover
    • Mazda
    • Mini
    • Nissan
    • Other

2011 Subaru WRX. Replaces my 2002 WRX, which had 194k on it. Until the 'death-rattle', I had only replaced an O2 sensor, one brake caliper ($60 at Autozone), and brakes. Fantastic car.

The death-rattle: at about 184k, the car started to make a loud rattle at certain parameters, which was diagnosed as a main or rod bearing issue. I declined putting a new engine in it, but ended up driving the remaining 10k babying the car which I waited for the new one. I can't complain about that too much, other than I'd have loved to see 200k on it.

• 11 months later...

Thank you. I had a feeling I was being sold fish oil.

It is usually a good idea to replace the tires as soon as you get an alignment, but that is because if you were out of alignment there was an uneven wear pattern forming and once started the tire will continue to wear unevenly. But, if your wheels are aligned already, there is no reason to re-align them when you purchase tires.

Having said that, maybe he was suggesting you have your alignment checked to make sure all is straight before you start wearing those pricey new sneakers? There is some justification for that. Depending on the price for the alignment check you might consider it insurance against premature tire wear.

Well, definitely didn't know this thread existed! Anyway, I currently drive a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T. First car I ever bought brand new, and it's by far the happiest I've ever been inside of a vehicle. I almost enjoy making the car payments, love the car that much. Previous vehicles: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1998 Chevy Lumina LTZ, 1991 Mercury Topaz.

post-3647-0-73893300-1343668919_thumb.jpg

Well, definitely didn't know this thread existed! Anyway, I currently drive a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T. First car I ever bought brand new, and it's by far the happiest I've ever been inside of a vehicle. I almost enjoy making the car payments, love the car that much. Previous vehicles: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1998 Chevy Lumina LTZ, 1991 Mercury Topaz.

No wonder you're happy, that's an exemplary history of Malaise Era cars right there :sick:

It is usually a good idea to replace the tires as soon as you get an alignment, but that is because if you were out of alignment there was an uneven wear pattern forming and once started the tire will continue to wear unevenly. But, if your wheels are aligned already, there is no reason to re-align them when you purchase tires.

Having said that, maybe he was suggesting you have your alignment checked to make sure all is straight before you start wearing those pricey new sneakers? There is some justification for that. Depending on the price for the alignment check you might consider it insurance against premature tire wear.

My alignment was reset because I wrecked the front end. i'm confident it is still in alignment. To make up for the $90 they're charging for alignment, the tires would have to wear at twice the pace.

No wonder you're happy, that's an exemplary history of Malaise Era cars right there :sick:

So true! I picked a bad time to be in the American car market. I always chose newer and lower mileage American cars over older and higher mileage imports due to price--I knew the American cars were lower quality, but I figure the newer age and fewer miles balanced that out when at the same price. What I failed to account for prior to purchase was overall driving experience. Hey, live and learn.

So true! I picked a bad time to be in the American car market. I always chose newer and lower mileage American cars over older and higher mileage imports due to price--I knew the American cars were lower quality, but I figure the newer age and fewer miles balanced that out when at the same price. What I failed to account for prior to purchase was overall driving experience. Hey, live and learn.

Live and learn indeed. I've never owned an American car, and I never will. 2 Toyotas that I loved and I'm currently in a VW that I love. My fiancé on the other hand has only ever owned American cars and all of them have sucked. And I mean sucked horribly! I can't imagine having to take my car in to get worked on. My car spends about 4 hours a year in the shop and that's for oil changes.

Live and learn indeed. I've never owned an American car, and I never will. 2 Toyotas that I loved and I'm currently in a VW that I love. My fiancé on the other hand has only ever owned American cars and all of them have sucked. And I mean sucked horribly! I can't imagine having to take my car in to get worked on. My car spends about 4 hours a year in the shop and that's for oil changes.

I had a 97 Saturn that cracked 225000 miles with very few problems. The best American car I ever owned (So of course GM cancelled the line. Because of course they would)

Now I have a 2006 Subaru Impreza. Unless I move out of New York, I dont' think I'd own anything other than a Subaru

1994 Honda Accord...18 years old, and still runs great...192,000 miles. I have put very little money into this thing, over the years, just your normal upkeep, and I replaced the radiator a few years ago...the AC doesn't work great...but I love this car. It has some nicks, and scratches, the top paint job is a little faded (Texas heat)...but I am going to drive this thing until I can't anymore...the way it is going, it may outlast me.

I had a 97 Saturn that cracked 225000 miles with very few problems. The best American car I ever owned (So of course GM cancelled the line. Because of course they would)

Now I have a 2006 Subaru Impreza. Unless I move out of New York, I dont' think I'd own anything other than a Subaru

Saturn: The GF's 1998 Saturn burns oil at a prodigious rate, sounds like a diesel, doesn't shift very well (automatci), and only one of the power windows works (rear-right) at 100k. Ying and yang. :)

Subaru: mentioned upthread somewhere, I traded my 2002 WRX with 194k on the clock last year. Replaced O2 sensor and a brake caliper (in addition to the usual brake parts and whatnot) over the entire life of the car. Great car.

This is where I'm at right now as well. As I wrote at the beginning of the thread, I'm driving a 2011 Legacy (upgraded winter driving from my '91 BMW 525i). I loved having it last winter, and it's gas mileage this summer hasn't been bad at all (31 mpg avg of city & highway together). In the year and 4 months that I've owned it, I've racked up 47,000 miles, but hopefully, I'll be getting a new job soon that'll be a quarter of the distance meaning less wear and tear on it.

Archived