That sound you hear...

LeGrosGil

As passionate as TP is about his team, it should be an interesting offseason. The 'Bres gave it a game effort to make the playoffs, but in the end we just didn't have the horses. YET.

That said, and take it for what it's worth, a guy a I coach with (ex-Buffalonian as well) went to the NHL awards here in Vegas this year and ran into Patrick Kane. Kiddingly asked him if he'd like to play in Buffalo and give a "hometown discount". Kane said he didn't know about a discount, but he'd obviously love to play in the Blue and Gold.

This year was a fair estimation of what this team as presently constituted can do. Yes, the youth will mature, but there is youth on many NHL playoff teams. The biggest difference will be made up front and center, and defense should be addressed as well- we need playoff tested stars in front of Miller. Love the guy, but he is not going to get us to the finals by himself like the Dominator.

They collapsed for sure. The young defense was under constant forechecking pressure and our top "core" guys once again failed. As far as I'm concerned they should get rid of Stafford, Roy, Vanek, Pomminstein, and Connolly and be done with it,

I'm not sure what's worse -- starting another offseason thread when the first one is about 1/8 of an inch away, or including the Kane nonsense.

How is Kane going to give the Sabres a hometown discount when he is under contract with Chicago for 4 more years? :blink:

Like I said, take the Kane comment for what it's worth- not much. However, if Kane is under contract, could he not be traded for? Bought out? Combination of both?

I stand in the "thanks for a fun extra two weeks of hockey". Also, the last 3 weeks of the season was like bonus playoff hockey. Getting ripped apart at the seams last night was exactly what the new ownership needed to see because there are no smoking mirrors hiding this team.

Come on, without the horrendous goals that Philly let in, Buffalo could not generate any chances. Buffalo was thoroughly outplayed and now the organization knows the dead weight needs to go. Look at the youth on our team compared to Philly's talent. Buffalo had their chance in game 6 and could not quite close it out.

Injuries CAN be an excuse when they happen to a team void of top 2 line talent. The future WILL be great and that needs to be realized.

This is what we say every year, and its the exact same thing we said last year. The same guy is still here making the moves. I don't expect much this offseason except maybe some office type moves and renovations to the arena, cause it doesn't matter how much money you have, theres still a cap in place

This is what we say every year, and its the exact same thing we said last year. The same guy is still here making the moves. I don't expect much this offseason except maybe some office type moves and renovations to the arena, cause it doesn't matter how much money you have, theres still a cap in place

I know Buffalo fans have been beaten to death with bad management on both Bills and Sabres but I think we can all agree that this ownership is going to be quite refreshing going forward. This Sabres team was not going to do squat if they had be beaten Philly in Game 6 and run into a team with talent AND goaltending.

I know Buffalo fans have been beaten to death with bad management on both Bills and Sabres but I think we can all agree that this ownership is going to be quite refreshing going forward. This Sabres team was not going to do squat if they had be beaten Philly in Game 6 and run into a team with talent AND goaltending.

Who knows what could have happened if they won and moved on. An extra 4 games minimum for the young players to gain more experience, playing a team that isn't as dirty and physical, theres no saying what could happen and the extra experience and confidence is invaluable then an early offseason.

Ownership can say the wallets open all they want, but they can only spend to the cap. The same guy is in charge making the personnel moves. He can spend all the money he wants on coaching/scouting, the facility, etc. and that can help long term, weither they won or lost last night, but theres alot of work needed to make this team a contender instead of just a pretender with a future

this is where the pegula train rubber hits the road. steel hits the tracks?

we have said for years darcy has been operating with handcuffs. well, this sabres team is loaded with quality talent, but appears to be missing just two key pieces to push it into serious contender status

time to see exactly how committed the pegula express/juggernaut/dream making magic pixie dust is

Who knows what could have happened if they won and moved on. An extra 4 games minimum for the young players to gain more experience, playing a team that isn't as dirty and physical, theres no saying what could happen and the extra experience and confidence is invaluable then an early offseason.

Ownership can say the wallets open all they want, but they can only spend to the cap. The same guy is in charge making the personnel moves. He can spend all the money he wants on coaching/scouting, the facility, etc. and that can help long term, weither they won or lost last night, but theres alot of work needed to make this team a contender instead of just a pretender with a future

Look at the bright side of the news yesterday, the Bills will not look like clowns anymore with their new unis. They will probably play like clowns but they will look good doing it....

I don't feel bad about losing tho Philly. Our team was inferior and I think they seriously over-achieved. We all knew this squad was never going to come close to winning the Cup. We were happy they made the playoffs at all. We were hoping they might do a little damage and they did by pushing a better team to game 7. My worry is that we may be tricked into thinking we can build upon this success with this current group of players and coaches. I don't think we can. I'm seriously tired of this core group of Stafford, Gaustad, Pomminstein, Connolly, Hecht, Grier, and to a lesser extent, Roy and Ruff. To me, Lindy has seemed to have lost his passion. I think that is natural for a coach that has been with an organization as long as he has been with the Sabres. I love him, but let's face it...he's not going to be our coach forever. We have to make some hard decisions, but I clearly think we need to move in a new direction. We need more players who can score. We need better defensemen. And, I think a new head coach would not be a bad idea. There is no evidence that Lindy has the approach that can guide a team all the way to the Cup. As an example, I cite his long history of goalie mismanagement and his inability to trust his back-up goalie. Lindy is literally killing Ryan Miller. Miller cannot physically play 70 games a season and then 20 more in the playoffs. If i were the ownwer I would keep Lindy with the understanding that Ryan Miller would play no more than 55 games per season. Get him a serviceable backup and make him play him. Maybe we should trade Jhonas Enroth for a quality scorer or defenseman. I don't believe in building for the future. Next season is the future. There are no dynastys anymore. The season is just too grueling. If we expect to get quality, we have to give up quality. One indicator for me of the seriousness of the franchise will be the fate of Tim Connolly. If He is still on the team next season, I'm out. I know Mr. Pegula loves the Sabres, but I hope he doesn't love this team so much that he fails to make the necessary changes.

Like I said, take the Kane comment for what it's worth- not much. However, if Kane is under contract, could he not be traded for? Bought out? Combination of both?

Sure he could, and i'm sure Chicago would give him away for next to nothing so he could come play at home in Buffalo

if your willing to give up the majority of the Sabres prospects, maybe Myers and Miller, I'm sure Kane might be available then

I feel so much different about this offseason than last. The vibe of this team has changed and it's for the better. I'm strangely content with the results and I see a lot of positives. I refuse to let losing I the first round overshadow all of the good things we have in store. Here's to a fruitful offseason!

I feel so much different about this offseason than last. The vibe of this team has changed and it's for the better. I'm strangely content with the results and I see a lot of positives. I refuse to let losing I the first round overshadow all of the good things we have in store. Here's to a fruitful offseason!

I'll drink to that :beer:

I'll drink to that :beer:

In years past, the FO would simply scratch this one up to injuries and carry on. I think we all feel that this won't be the case this year. Giddy up, boys, this should be a fun ride! But first, six more weeks of hockey. :thumbsup:

Archived