Season Notes: 2010 - 2011

BuffaloSoldier2010

add or post your thoughts as you feel necessary

Forwards:

Gerbe's got heart, and a hell of a shot. "Don't Pat the Gerbe"

Ennis is solid, but he's going to be phenominal in a few years.

Vanek still has that magic touch, 5 goals in 7 playoff games shows it.

Stafford is as streaky as the naked mile, maybe we can get some good return on some kind of trade.

Pominville's Iron man streak prior to the concussion seems to have caught up to him, but he can still play at a high level.

Brad Boyes needs to play WING.

Patrick Kaleta, does it get any betta?

We need a legitimate top line center. No, seriously Darcy, get on that.

Defense:

Myers still has ALOT of growing to do, but he can be mean, and you won't like him when he's mean.

Gragniani is an animal, and deserves a roster spot, If only he shot just a little more...

Weber is the real deal, He's going to be a great D-man with a little more experience.

Butler would best serve this team as part of a trade deal.

We need a RELIABLE defensive veteran. None of this Montador / Rivet ######.

Goaltending:

We have a viable backup in jhonas Ethron, and I'm looking forward to a far better seed next year because of it.

Miller's amazing, but he needs a solid defense around him, as can be said with any goalie.

Congrats on the year. Everyone is upset over the loss, me included. BUT on Christmas I thought this was over and we fought back to make the post season. Pushed a legit Stanley Cup contender to 7 games.

What needs to be done now? A legit center is a must. Possibly a shut down veteran D man as well. Our young D was solid but maybe we need something else. What is your wish list this summer?

Congrats on the year. Everyone is upset over the loss, me included. BUT on Christmas I thought this was over and we fought back to make the post season. Pushed a legit Stanley Cup contender to 7 games.

What needs to be done now? A legit center is a must. Possibly a shut down veteran D man as well. Our young D was solid but maybe we need something else. What is your wish list this summer?

What needs to be done? I am interested in seeing what they can actually get done. The goal of new management is to make Buffalo a destination for top free agents. Will this new attitude payoff this off-season? Can Regier get it done?

How about a new director of pro scouting and/or different and/or some more pro scouts? I like what we've done in the draft the past few years (the two Tylers, Adams, Kassian, Foligno, etc.), but our free agent moves have been awful. Hard to say who is at fault, but if TP is ready to spend some cash, maybe some new/additional pro scouts? Or maybe that falls to Darcy? (I really have no idea)

Connolly has to go.05-06 was his last chance at being a contender. Probably Hecht has to go too.

We need a leader and 40 goal scorer playing in front of Vanek and Stafford. Vanek and Stafford aren't leaders, they're very powerful secondary threats.

What more is Vanek supposed to do to be a leader?

This, although I am not sure Ehroff's the guy.

Agreed. I hope Darcy can get the job done because this is not a great FA market. Trades is where we need to be active. We've got a deep farm system / young D corps. We need to take advantage of that to make sure we get the top end forwards we need.

This is could be the most exciting offseason in Sabres history. Let's embrace it!!!!

I am trying to remain grounded. Darcy is still the GM and I'm not convinced that Pegs can't be talked into "we are building something special here" by Regier. I'm not even convinced that Regier has turned the page on Connolly.

I see a lot of folks posting what they think needs to happen in the post season as a list of positions that need to be filled and who needs to GO. I guess I'm an oddball in that I would rather list those who I would rather see the team invest in and then build a team around them. My list of people to KEEP would be:

Gaustad - I love this guy's grit. His style works well with Gerbe and he fights hard for the puck in the offensive zone

Gerbe - If you can't tell from my screenanme and the majority of my posts. I love the Gerbe. He's got it all in my opinion: heart, grit, skill... I would love to see this kid get some more Sabres years under his belt.

Ennis - All skill... some people say they see Afinigenov (sp?) in him. I see a bit of it as he has great hands/puck-handling but the one thing about Afin. is that he always looked like he did all that fancy stick work just to do it... almost like that was the point. Ennis seems different. I just want to see the kid shoot more and pass less ... keep the puck-handling :-D.

Miller - After seeing how analytical this guy is about every minute detail I think he is definitely worth hanging onto. First, I think he is good for a few more seasons. Also, if nothing else he can mentor Enroth.

Enroth - I love this kid. I still have flashbacks to that Carolina game where he is fearless with his mask off. I swear if pictures could talk this one would say "Not on my watch". I want to see this kid grow under Miller's tutelage.

Pominville (As long as he can recover from his injury) - Excellent on the PK ... also a team-defining player in my opinion. Even though I scream "shoot!" at him during the PP I still think his patience pays off quite a bit.

Boyes - I see a lot of disrespect about Boyes on these boards and I just don't see why. I see a guy who played well both offensively and defensively during the regular season. Then as soon as he was thrown to center he was pretty near non-existent. So... throw him back on a wing and he's a star again in my opinion.

Kaleta - He's gotta stay healthy. But I think he brings the proper amount of physicality.

Mancari - I think Mancari + Gaustad + Gerbe is the ultimate 3rd line for this team. Mancari and Gaustad both fight heart for pucks in the O. zone along the boards and provide just enough breathing room for the little man to get it done.

McCormick - I like this guy's grit. Like Kaleta... I think every team needs a couple of these guys.

Butler - So he's gotten a bit more post-season time under his belt now. It wasn't always pretty but the last part of regular season lead me to believe this guy can do it. I would like to watch him closely in the next half-season ... maybe go from there.

MAG - This guy is gold ... don't let him escape!

Leopold - He can remain as the only "veteran" D-man that I would suggest keeping.

Myers - Like everybody else... I love the fact that we finally saw his war face ("ARRRGHHH" ... FMJ reference :rolleyes: )

Weber - I love this guy's fight. Watching him take out ol' "BobbleHead" Carcillo in Miller's crease has been a blast.

Anybody I have not listed here I consider expendable once contracts end and such. Before everybody hangs me .... yes, that does include Vanek, Grier, Roy, etc... I really don't think their styles play into the whole Pegula era "Winning is a belief" mentality. The only person I have not listed as a "must keep" who I am still on the edge about would be Vanek. I just don't know still about him. I was hoping this playoff series would do it for me ... but not yet.

I am trying to remain grounded. Darcy is still the GM and I'm not convinced that Pegs can't be talked into "we are building something special here" by Regier. I'm not even convinced that Regier has turned the page on Connolly.

I am pretty confident that DR is going to deliver this summer. I'm also pretty confident that TC is done like dinner in Buffalo.

Connolly has to go.05-06 was his last chance at being a contender. Probably Hecht has to go too.

We need a leader and 40 goal scorer playing in front of Vanek and Stafford. Vanek and Stafford aren't leaders, they're very powerful secondary threats.

They should get Brad Richards to center those two. That would be fantastic!

I am pretty confident that DR is going to deliver this summer. I'm also pretty confident that TC is done like dinner in Buffalo.

If there is any person in the organization that I have no faith in, it's DR. It remains to be seen what that bozo does.

I hope for the Tin Man's sake he winds up on another team where he can breathe some fresh air. He was a trooper this season and you can tell tonight the Sabres missed him and Pommers on the PK. But, I do agree, TC is out of here, or, at least, he should be.

Archived