Season Notes: 2010 - 2011

BuffaloSoldier2010

The piece that has me most pissed off today is the $2M we're going to hand morrisson to be a healthy scratch for 65 games next year.

Go talk to the GM who is "not going anywhere". This is the same guy who now that he is no longer shackled by OSP/LQ, is all of a sudden going to be a great evaluator of talent. GET REAL!

Last years moves...

Leopold...except for his goal scoring burst, he was very average for 3 mil a year. I heard him say that the strong part of his game has the first pass out of the zone. Could have used that against Philly. <_<

Morrisson...6-7 blueliner who does not use his size at all and does not really standout in any way. Could have found a similar dman for under 1 mil per year.

Boyes...playoff bust. Playing out of position should not be mixed up with lackluster efforts.

Now that we added Danny Gare to the scouting staff all is well? I am waiting for this huge expansion in the hockey department that Pegs promised.

WHERE IS PA??????

My biggest concern about the Sabres remains the top 6. Here's what we're looking at, assuming TC is gone:

Vanek

Roy

Pommer

Boyes

Ennis

Stafford

Hecht

Gerbe

That group isn't remotely good enough, and it's well overpaid. DR is going to have to figure out how to unload a couple of those contracts if the Sabres are going to improve.

The Sabres also need a good veteran defenseman to play with Myers -- not a bargain bin special like Leopold (who I think is lousy in the defensive zone) or Morrison.

Other than the obvious hole at center, my big concern right now is with the blue line. So far with guys like Leopold, Sekera, Butler, and Gragnani penciled in to return, there's a bit too much finesse in that group. Something's got to give there and it probably winds up being Butler/Sekera.

My biggest concern about the Sabres remains the top 6. Here's what we're looking at, assuming TC is gone:

Vanek

Roy

Pommer

Boyes

Ennis

Stafford

Hecht

Gerbe

That group isn't remotely good enough, and it's well overpaid. DR is going to have to figure out how to unload a couple of those contracts if the Sabres are going to improve.

The Sabres also need a good veteran defenseman to play with Myers -- not a bargain bin special like Leopold (who I think is lousy in the defensive zone) or Morrison.

^^^ This. A top 6 overhaul above and beyond Connolly being sent packing is desperately needed. I can't think of a Sabres forward who would be considered "safe" from being part of a trade. They are all on the block when it comes to making the top 6 better.

Vanek

Roy

Pommer

Boyes

Ennis

Stafford

Hecht

Gerbe

Vanek - restructure contract or trade

Roy - trade

Pommer - Keep if he recovers

Boyes - Not so sure what to do with Boyes.

Ennis - retain

Stafford - trade

Hecht - trade/release

Gerbe - retain

On D I'd like to see Myers, MAG's and Weber retained the rest can go away!

Quick note on the difference spending to the cap can make (we spent $3.5M less): 6 of the 7 eastern conference teams that spent within $1M of the cap made the playoffs (Boston, Pitt, Wash, Mont, Phil, NYR) only the devils missed. That $3.5 could have been Tallinder for example. Only Tampa spent less and made the playoffs.

Quick note on the difference spending to the cap can make (we spent $3.5M less): 6 of the 7 eastern conference teams that spent within $1M of the cap made the playoffs (Boston, Pitt, Wash, Mont, Phil, NYR) only the devils missed. That $3.5 could have been Tallinder for example. Only Tampa spent less and made the playoffs.

The key for the Sabres to change thing is spending the money (cap) on the right players. Right now, they have $41 million tied up in players for next year (8 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 2 goalies), several of which could be argued are (grossly) overpaid. Two things need two happen for the offseason to be effective: (1) find ways to remove some, though not likely all, of those (others will go away on their own after next year); and (2) avoid making the same mistakes with new players. Both of these suggest that the key to the offseason will be the trade market, not free agency (especially with such a weak class.)

The key for the Sabres to change thing is spending the money (cap) on the right players. Right now, they have $41 million tied up in players for next year (8 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 2 goalies), several of which could be argued are (grossly) overpaid. Two things need two happen for the offseason to be effective: (1) find ways to remove some, though not likely all, of those (others will go away on their own after next year); and (2) avoid making the same mistakes with new players. Both of these suggest that the key to the offseason will be the trade market, not free agency (especially with such a weak class.)

I agree that this would be best, but unless every other team in the East is awesome at picking the right players, the numbers say that simply spending the cap with average talent evaluation is very likely to get you there. Only 1 of 7 missed and they ran into massive injury problems that scuttled the season until February. Please do not interpret this post to insinuate that you can give Kaleta a $7M contract and make the team better. What it does say is that teams with big budgets win, even in the cap era. The big budgets may imply better talent evaluation.

I am not up on the CBA why is it not allowed?

Short answer: because the players association and owners agreed that it's not.

Long answer: Cap hit is based on average salary over a contract, so allowing restructuring of contract would allow teams to play cap games and would require similar cap makeup as buyouts already require. Also, players probably wanted guaranteed money. It's a negotiating point that the players got their way on, but maybe traded it for limited salaries on entry-level contracts or maybe even the cap itself.

Perfect.

Vanek - restructure contract or trade

Roy - trade

Pommer - Keep if he recovers

Boyes - Not so sure what to do with Boyes.

Ennis - retain

Stafford - trade

Hecht - trade/release

Gerbe - retain

On D I'd like to see Myers, MAG's and Weber retained the rest can go away!

Interesting thought but I would say something a little different:

Vanek- trade or keep im over him

Roy- keep we have no centers

pommers/boyes/stafford- two of them can go away

Ennis- obviously we keep him for a long time

Gerbe- Long time he stays mmm

TC- gone, no seriously I have had enough

Goose- should stay hes worth it IMO

Hecht- overpaid but idk if I want to throw him to the wolves... I could be persuaded though

Defense: Weber, Myers, Mag, stay and either sekera or butler needs to be traded.

Monty, Morrison(trade!), Grier, and Mcormick/Nieds need to go. Kaleta is a 50/50 I think hes gotta elevate his game to stay

We need a top 2 dman and idc who

Any trade we make that removes a rw from this team needs to have a Center coming back in return and he needs to be a game changer

Enroth stays, Miller stays, Lalime buh bye

Now I know that some of these players are UFA's or even RFA's but this was just who should be retained, traded, or let walk in FA. Thats what I think and if darcy retains certain players like tc or morrisonn or all 3 of our rw then we should start a revolt... Tpegs wont let it happen, I am sure he is already planning with Black, Reiger and Ruff as to what needs to get done before and after July 1.

Agreed. We need 2 centers and 2 defencemen. No more LW's playing center PLEASE !!!!

I'd like to see a #1 center for Vanek and a second scoring line center as well. Roll 3 scoring lines and Have Goose center a checking/energy line.

And we need a top tier defenceman in addition to Myers. A real honest-to-goodness hard to play against defenceman. We are going to have to give up alot to get one. It's a good think we have alot of wingers to offer up.

Does Roy not fit the 2nd line scoring center role?

Interesting thought but I would say something a little different:

Vanek- trade or keep im over him

Roy- keep we have no centers

pommers/boyes/stafford- two of them can go away

Ennis- obviously we keep him for a long time

Gerbe- Long time he stays mmm

TC- gone, no seriously I have had enough

Goose- should stay hes worth it IMO

Hecht- overpaid but idk if I want to throw him to the wolves... I could be persuaded though

Defense: Weber, Myers, Mag, stay and either sekera or butler needs to be traded.

Monty, Morrison(trade!), Grier, and Mcormick/Nieds need to go. Kaleta is a 50/50 I think hes gotta elevate his game to stay

We need a top 2 dman and idc who

Any trade we make that removes a rw from this team needs to have a Center coming back in return and he needs to be a game changer

Enroth stays, Miller stays, Lalime buh bye

Now I know that some of these players are UFA's or even RFA's but this was just who should be retained, traded, or let walk in FA. Thats what I think and if darcy retains certain players like tc or morrisonn or all 3 of our rw then we should start a revolt... Tpegs wont let it happen, I am sure he is already planning with Black, Reiger and Ruff as to what needs to get done before and after July 1.

With TC gone (I agree) Pommer should be kept. (see Game 7 PK Unit)

Does Roy not fit the 2nd line scoring center role?

I meant, go out and aquire a 2nd center (other than the #1 center mentioned), not a 2nd line center. Whether that individual ends up on the 2nd or 3rd line isn't important to me. The idea is to end up with 3 scoring line centers come September.

Archived