Season Notes: 2010 - 2011

BuffaloSoldier2010

The two biggest reasons why the Sabres lost this series:

1. Inexperience among the defensemen

2. Injuries among the forwards

Both of these problems should improve simply with the passage of time.

Otherwise, this team is as little as 1 star defenseman and 1 star center away from being a legit Stanely Cup contender. I don't know this summer's free agent market too well, but hopefully all of our problems can go away with Pegula's wallet?

Next year's roster:

G (2): Miller, Enroth

D (7): Myers, STAR FREE AGENT DEFENSEMAN, Leopold, Sekera, Weber, Gragnani, Butler

LW (4): Vanek, Ennis, Gerbe, Hecht

C (5): STAR FREE AGENT CENTER, Roy, Adam, Gaustad, Niedermayer

RW (5): Stafford, Pominville, Boyes, Kaleta, Mancari

Say goodbye: Lalime, Montador, Morrisonn, Ellis, Connolly, Grier, McCormick, Parrish

The two biggest reasons why the Sabres lost this series:

1. Inexperience among the defensemen

2. Injuries among the forwards

Both of these problems should improve simply with the passage of time.

Otherwise, this team is as little as 1 star defenseman and 1 star center away from being a legit Stanely Cup contender. I don't know this summer's free agent market too well, but hopefully all of our problems can go away with Pegula's wallet?

Next year's roster:

G (2): Miller, Enroth

D (7): Myers, STAR FREE AGENT DEFENSEMAN, Leopold, Sekera, Weber, Gragnani, Butler

LW (4): Vanek, Ennis, Gerbe, Hecht

C (5): STAR FREE AGENT CENTER, Roy, Adam, Gaustad, Niedermayer

RW (5): Stafford, Pominville, Boyes, Kaleta, Mancari

Say goodbye: Lalime, Montador, Morrisonn, Ellis, Connolly, Grier, McCormick, Parrish

Sounds all fine and dandy (and I agree with this) but we also have to remember, we are 1/30 teams in the league trying to get better w/ FA's and trades, etc.

This will take another year or so to build up something great.

But we do have future, it has been shown.

Sounds all fine and dandy (and I agree with this) but we also have to remember, we are 1/30 teams in the league trying to get better w/ FA's and trades, etc.

Yes but we have an advantage with a new owner that will spend what it takes. That whittles the competition down to just a few teams.

PTR

Plus we can only sign the free agents that are available. "Star Free Agent Center" and "Star Free Agent Defenseman" are not real guys.

I hope the Sabres don't just sign whoever they can to show they're willing to sign free agents. If we have to rely on trades or just wait another year before spending a ton of money, I'd rather do that than make any really sign signings.

I am sick of my teams losing... :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I had a bad feeling when we squandered that lead and golden opportunity to knock them out in B-low Sunday. I'm not ranting just hoping that the Sabres management is committed to getting this team to the top.

Talk of Miller trades are just ridiculous. We have our goalie and we have a solid young backup to groom. You can't win championships when you are constantly on your heels in your own zone. Granted this was a streaky year for Miller, but more often than not he bailed out a team that played really poor in thier own zone, were unable to clear the zone, turned the puck over again and again, allowed odd-man rushes, and took stupid penalties. The Flyers did everything they could to run Miller, and piss him off this series because he is an emotional goalie and when he gets angry he loses focus.

There would not have been a game 5, 6, or 7 if not for Miller keeping us in games. You know how many goalies would have been undressed badly if they had faced the quality scoring chances our team gave Philly's snipers?

What this team does need is quality centers, and 2-way forwards that can actually forcheck and maintain puck control in the offensive zone, forwards that are not afraid to pay a price by driving to the net(I really wanted to see our guys knock Boucher around like they were doing to Miller, but our guys rarely got close). I really like Ennis and Gerbe, but having two guys in that mold leaves us pretty light up front - just say'n. This team could have also have used some veteran defenders that know how to clear the defensive zone.

Stafford contract year... he has not been strong with the puck and couldn't generate a thing during this series, he took his share of shots, but most were low percentage shots from the outside and we needed him to come up big for us. A disapointment considering his size because I used to watch him play the Gophers when he was with ND and I thought he was a great draft pick for the Sabres. Boyes needs to move back to wing. Hecht is average and Connolly, if healthy I could see them keeping for much less $$$ as a 4th line center just for his faceoffs, defense, and PK else he should probably look elsewhere. The veterans Grier and Neidermeyer had a decent series, but of the two Neidermeyer showed more - would like to trade in for slightly younger veteran forwards with a bit more leg left in them. I do recognize the value of having calm gritty veterans on the ice come playoffs.

As to defense we have good young players in Weber, Myers (needs to nuture his inner Hulk), and Gragnani (although I think they often gave up too much ice to the Flyers when they entered our zone and they all need to learn how to win more battles along the wall)... Butler is on the fence. As to Monty, Leopold, Morrisson, and Sekera meh.. a trade for a couple solid veteran blue-liners to team with our better prospects would be a god-send to settle things down and get the friggin puck out of our own backyard.

This team doesn't lack heart - I wont take that from any of them.

I am sick of my teams losing... :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I had a bad feeling when we squandered that lead and golden opportunity to knock them out in B-low Sunday. I'm not ranting just hoping that the Sabres management is committed to getting this team to the top.

Talk of Miller trades are just ridiculous. We have our goalie and we have a solid young backup to groom. You can't win championships when you are constantly on your heels in your own zone. Granted this was a streaky year for Miller, but more often than not he bailed out a team that played really poor in thier own zone, were unable to clear the zone, turned the puck over again and again, allowed odd-man rushes, and took stupid penalties. The Flyers did everything they could to run Miller, and piss him off this series because he is an emotional goalie and when he gets angry he loses focus.

There would not have been a game 5, 6, or 7 if not for Miller keeping us in games. You know how many goalies would have been undressed badly if they had faced the quality scoring chances our team gave Philly's snipers?

What this team does need is quality centers, and 2-way forwards that can actually forcheck and maintain puck control in the offensive zone, forwards that are not afraid to pay a price by driving to the net(I really wanted to see our guys knock Boucher around like they were doing to Miller, but our guys rarely got close). I really like Ennis and Gerbe, but having two guys in that mold leaves us pretty light up front - just say'n. This team could have also have used some veteran defenders that know how to clear the defensive zone.

Stafford contract year... he has not been strong with the puck and couldn't generate a thing during this series, he took his share of shots, but most were low percentage shots from the outside and we needed him to come up big for us. A disapointment considering his size because I used to watch him play the Gophers when he was with ND and I thought he was a great draft pick for the Sabres. Boyes needs to move back to wing. Hecht is average and Connolly, if healthy I could see them keeping for much less $$ as a 4th line center just for his faceoffs, defense, and PK else he should probably look elsewhere. The veterans Grier and Neidermeyer had a decent series, but of the two Neidermeyer showed more - would like to trade in for slightly younger veteran forwards with a bit more leg left in them. I do recognize the value of having calm gritty veterans on the ice come playoffs.

As to defense we have good young players in Weber, Myers (needs to nuture his inner Hulk), and Gragnani (although I think they often gave up too much ice to the Flyers when they entered our zone and they all need to learn how to win more battles along the wall)... Butler is on the fence. As to Monty, Leopold, Morrisson, and Sekera meh.. a trade for a couple solid veteran blue-liners to team with our better prospects would be a god-send to settle things down and get the friggin puck out of our own backyard.

This team doesn't lack heart - I wont take that from any of them.

h

Only 1 out of 5 Americans is reading this much text. Add a picture or few.

Yes but we have an advantage with a new owner that will spend what it takes. That whittles the competition down to just a few teams.PTR

Plus we can only sign the free agents that are available. "Star Free Agent Center" and "Star Free Agent Defenseman" are not real guys. I hope the Sabres don't just sign whoever they can to show they're willing to sign free agents. If we have to rely on trades or just wait another year before spending a ton of money, I'd rather do that than make any really sign signings.

Yes, that is true about the owner, but this isnt the MLB where the Cap has no limit...

We can spend what we want though because Pegula is willing to do so

I do reconize that the "Star Free Agents" are not real people; but the ploy to state that we (hope) to sign then someone who will fill that role is key for the offseason.

If we sign whoever the hell we want, give me $50,000 this coming year, I'll lace em up and play (that'll pay for my college for all 4yrs; and I have never played ice hockey before)

But the fact that if we do sign someone big, then it shows we're willing to make a change.

I dont want Ruff gone, his system works, just luck of the draw for him and bad luck overall.

Not going to say that luck is what cost us every series he ever has lost as a coach, but sometimes, things just unfortunate/unlucky happen.

'06 Playoffs - injuries everywhere and we still battled to a Game 7 ECF match.

'10 v. Boston - poor play, which was unfortunate considering the season that was

'99 - Unlucky that the "No Goal" goal counted; could have changed that series

'07 v. Ottawa - Poor play just in general considering how that season went as well...

No doubt his system works; just things dont go his way.

He needs players to be healthy and fully committed

#@$% you Carcillo. Burn in hell you greasy !&*^ #%&!

With that out of my system, I think we can look at this year as the start of something better. We learned a lot about what it takes to win — battling back all season long, overcoming key injuries, and finally losing to a better hockey team. We fertilized what looks to be a good crop of youngsters. And we learned we have to get better. Some of that will come from within, some through change.

Excuse the wall of text, but this is what we have:

Jhonas Enroth —finally a good backup. Hope he gets 25 starts next year.

Jordan Leopold — a useful player, better than expected. I’m OK with him in the 3-5 slot, he's expendable if MAG is for real.

Steve Montador — not worth resigning. His effort will be missed, but not his mistakes.

Mike Weber —battled all year long. Exactly what we need in the bottom pair. With time, could be another Warrener or McKee.

Cody McCormick — Everything you want in a 12th or 13th forward. Can fight, can play, can play for me any day.

Derek Roy — A great asset, I’m just not sure if it’s as a player or bargaining chip. He can be a good first liner, or one of the best second-line centres in the NHL. He also could be the key part to a big trade.

Mark Mancari —good enough to play a role, if, and only if, we make a few big signings and the salary cap forces us to go cheap in the bottom six. Not a long-term piece.

Marc-Andre Gragnani — I refuse to go overboard for a guy who’s only played in the league for a month, but goddamn he looked good. He’ll have growing pains, but it’s hard not to see him contributing next year. His emergence gives us depth and the flexibility to make some moves.

Tim Connolly — a victim of misfortune who contributes, but will never be able to overcome fan expectations. Could be an asset in the bottom six at say $1.5 milllion, but it’s probably time to cut the cord.

Rob Neidermayer — Really liked what he brought in the playoffs, but see Mancari for the only scenario I can see him back.

Drew Stafford – He became a man this year. Should be brought back to anchor the second line, but not at a first line price. I’d like to keep him, but would use him as a chip.

Brad Boyes — Disappointing but gets a pass for now because I don’t think Lindy ever found a role for him. A complementary player who won’t be effective unless he gets someone to complement.

Mike Grier — thanks man for your heart and class. Too bad the legs are shot. It’s time for somebody else to step up in the room.

Thomas Vanek — he’s no Toews, but he’s a legit front-line forward and the best one we’ve got.

Shaone Morrison — a replaceable bottom pairing guy, who should be made redundant by some of the young guys.

Paul Gaustad — a warrior, a leader and important role guy going forward.

Jason Pominville — He just knows how to play the game. It’s no coincidence the team played its worst hockey with him out.

Ryan Miller — cornerstone and MVP

Chris Butler — stepped up during the stretch. Not convinced he’s a top-four guy.

Pat Kaleta —an effective role player who gets hurt too much. His type does have limited shelf life.

Matt Ellis — farm team leader, emergency fill-in who won’t hurt you

Patty Lalime — time to be good in another team’s room

Nathan Gerbe — brings an edge – a good third-liner with offensive upside

Andrej Sekera — still has me on the fence, can still see him as trade bait, press box or breaking through as a top pair guy

Jochen Hecht — useful, if expensive third-liner. Might be time to turn the page

Tyler Myers — took a step forward against Philly. Will be an all-star, as soon as next year

Tyler Ennis — talent and heart. Could be a future scoring leader.

What we need: one forward, one defenceman. Both must be gritty, one of them has to be a good player, the other a star.

Ideally, a Jonathan Toews/Toni Lydman-type combo, or a Mike Fisher/Chris Pronger-type combo.

I'm not interested in more second-tier Boyes and Leopold types. We need to add top line talent or grit.

We're not going to get both in the unrestricted market. Darcy needs to target vulnerable teams to pluck a restricted FA and/or make a big trade.

I want a key piece in a big draft day move, then use the UFA market to patch any holes that deal creates.

My targets: Zach Parise (he has played centre) and Shea Weber

T Pegs has raised the stakes. My expectations are high.

We are not that far away.

#@$% you Carcillo. Burn in hell you greasy !&*^ #%&!

With that out of my system, I think we can look at this year as the start of something better. We learned a lot about what it takes to win — battling back all season long, overcoming key injuries, and finally losing to a better hockey team. We fertilized what looks to be a good crop of youngsters. And we learned we have to get better. Some of that will come from within, some through change.

Excuse the wall of text, but this is what we have:

Jhonas Enroth —finally a good backup. Hope he gets 25 starts next year.

Jordan Leopold — a useful player, better than expected. I’m OK with him in the 3-5 slot, he's expendable if MAG is for real.

Steve Montador — not worth resigning. His effort will be missed, but not his mistakes.

Mike Weber —battled all year long. Exactly what we need in the bottom pair. With time, could be another Warrener or McKee.

Cody McCormick — Everything you want in a 12th or 13th forward. Can fight, can play, can play for me any day.

Derek Roy — A great asset, I’m just not sure if it’s as a player or bargaining chip. He can be a good first liner, or one of the best second-line centres in the NHL. He also could be the key part to a big trade.

Mark Mancari —good enough to play a role, if, and only if, we make a few big signings and the salary cap forces us to go cheap in the bottom six. Not a long-term piece.

Marc-Andre Gragnani — I refuse to go overboard for a guy who’s only played in the league for a month, but goddamn he looked good. He’ll have growing pains, but it’s hard not to see him contributing next year. His emergence gives us depth and the flexibility to make some moves.

Tim Connolly — a victim of misfortune who contributes, but will never be able to overcome fan expectations. Could be an asset in the bottom six at say $1.5 milllion, but it’s probably time to cut the cord.

Rob Neidermayer — Really liked what he brought in the playoffs, but see Mancari for the only scenario I can see him back.

Drew Stafford – He became a man this year. Should be brought back to anchor the second line, but not at a first line price. I’d like to keep him, but would use him as a chip.

Brad Boyes — Disappointing but gets a pass for now because I don’t think Lindy ever found a role for him. A complementary player who won’t be effective unless he gets someone to complement.

Mike Grier — thanks man for your heart and class. Too bad the legs are shot. It’s time for somebody else to step up in the room.

Thomas Vanek — he’s no Toews, but he’s a legit front-line forward and the best one we’ve got.

Shaone Morrison — a replaceable bottom pairing guy, who should be made redundant by some of the young guys.

Paul Gaustad — a warrior, a leader and important role guy going forward.

Jason Pominville — He just knows how to play the game. It’s no coincidence the team played its worst hockey with him out.

Ryan Miller — cornerstone and MVP

Chris Butler — stepped up during the stretch. Not convinced he’s a top-four guy.

Pat Kaleta —an effective role player who gets hurt too much. His type does have limited shelf life.

Matt Ellis — farm team leader, emergency fill-in who won’t hurt you

Patty Lalime — time to be good in another team’s room

Nathan Gerbe — brings an edge – a good third-liner with offensive upside

Andrej Sekera — still has me on the fence, can still see him as trade bait, press box or breaking through as a top pair guy

Jochen Hecht — useful, if expensive third-liner. Might be time to turn the page

Tyler Myers — took a step forward against Philly. Will be an all-star, as soon as next year

Tyler Ennis — talent and heart. Could be a future scoring leader.

What we need: one forward, one defenceman. Both must be gritty, one of them has to be a good player, the other a star.

Ideally, a Jonathan Toews/Toni Lydman-type combo, or a Mike Fisher/Chris Pronger-type combo.

I'm not interested in more second-tier Boyes and Leopold types. We need to add top line talent or grit.

We're not going to get both in the unrestricted market. Darcy needs to target vulnerable teams to pluck a restricted FA and/or make a big trade.

I want a key piece in a big draft day move, then use the UFA market to patch any holes that deal creates.

My targets: Zach Parise (he has played centre) and Shea Weber

T Pegs has raised the stakes. My expectations are high.

We are not that far away.

You do a nice breakdown, but I think you overvalue Gaustad, Pominville, Miller, Myers and Ennis. In doing so I think you are too optimistic in saying we are not that far away. I agree with 85% though. I don't think the guys are out there to bring in with enough talent and grit...or Darcy cannot identify them. It sure would have been nice to stock up on draft picks this trade deadline. Boyes, Montador, Connolly and Stafford would have fetched 2, 2, 2, 1+3. Leopold and Hecht had a shot to move as well. That's a lot of wiggle-room to go get yourself an Iginla/Regher or make an offer on a Callahan sheet. Now it is a 3 fold loser. You didn't make noise in the playoffs, you don't have those picks, and you are stuck with bloated salaries and having to decide on Stafford at 4 million.

I've really started to follow boxing and I already am dedicated to the ponies. I'm praying Pegula does something smart and gets fresh eyes and nads in here because I would love to love this team again and spend money. I just don't see it though...and I've lost my zest to really even disect these guys anymore as it is the same old story minus a few kids who haven't been around the loser culture enough and played gutsy. The team is in solid ownership hands, so I can rest in that regard....but the more the years go on, the less I love both the team and the sport. I still have it for the Bills, even as crapy as they have played on whole recently.

I hope I am shocked back into this, but tonight I feel a lot like Mike Grier. Had a blast, but time for other ventures.

I've really started to follow boxing and I already am dedicated to the ponies. I'm praying Pegula does something smart and gets fresh eyes and nads in here because I would love to love this team again and spend money. I just don't see it though...

Did Pegula not already hire some team consultants? The name escapes me but it was someone else with ties to the Penguins (other than Ted Black.)

PTR

Everyone knows we need players at certain positions like, CENTER for one, but I think you also need to add a certain amount of speed.

The current Sabres team simply can't forecheck (not that Lindy knows what this is anyway), because we're sorely lacking in speed up front.

Cody, Grier, Gaustad, Pominville, Stafford, Connolly, Vanek. All of these are either average or below average in speed, and when you add Weber, Leopold, Butler and Montador on the blueline, you end up with a team that's a lot slower than the average NHL team these days.

I'm not saying we should go 1998 Sabres, but speed is definitely something that needs to be adressed.

It seems to me that as the pressure was piled on we collapsed. That goes for our young defense and our top 6 forwards. Miller wasn't even the stunning goaltender he can be, most of the time. We definatly need a skilled center up front who can lead this team, Vanek's only partially risen to the challenge. Connelly to be shot out of a canon, Pomiville? Stafford? I don't know about these guys.

Keep Gragani up here!

For the first time in a long time, I feel a ton of optimism. Maybe ton(s).

This year, it just wasn't all that likely we were going to go very far given the amazing pre-playoff run coupled with the injuries. In the end, we ran out of gas and bodies. Plus, we just don't have the horses yet. Even so - we pushed the #2 seed to the brink, twice. We just didn't have what it takes to finish them, but even if we had, I'm not sure we were in shape to go too much longer.

I like to pile on Darcy as much as the next guy, but maybe with Pegula we've now got the ability to match up Darcy's eye for young talent with an ability to get some "right now" guys. It could be a killer combination, especially with a goaltending tandem that looks pretty darn promising.

1)Marc-Andre Gragnani — I refuse to go overboard for a guy who’s only played in the league for a month, but goddamn he looked good. He’ll have growing pains, but it’s hard not to see him contributing next year. His emergence gives us depth and the flexibility to make some moves.

2)Brad Boyes — Disappointing but gets a pass for now because I don’t think Lindy ever found a role for him. A complementary player who won’t be effective unless he gets someone to complement.

3)Shaone Morrison — a replaceable bottom pairing guy, who should be made redundant by some of the young guys.

4)Paul Gaustad — a warrior, a leader and important role guy going forward.

5)Chris Butler — stepped up during the stretch. Not convinced he’s a top-four guy.

6)What we need: one forward, one defenceman. Both must be gritty, one of them has to be a good player, the other a star.

7)T Pegs has raised the stakes. My expectations are high.

1) MAGs resume is way too short for me, however I really liked how he stepped up. There were times when he was the best Dman out there.

2) He certainly was a disappointment. I reserve judgement until December

3) Not a fan. Gone.

4) I love Goose, but he definitely slowed down. He was awful in our own zone for games 6-7. But, very hard to find a guy that size and with that much heart. Role player that will center the 4th for next year.

5) Played a lot better in March/April, had me screaming "Hallelujah!!!" that he finally got it. Alas, he remembered he was Chris Butler as the series went on. His game was unwatchable yesterday. Hoping that we revamp the D where he's in our 3rd pairing or sitting (i.e. expendable).

6) 2 Centers, 2 Defencemen. May be a little naivete to think we'll shake it up that much, but sorely needed.

7) Me too. See No. 6

Did Pegula not already hire some team consultants? The name escapes me but it was someone else with ties to the Penguins (other than Ted Black.)

PTR

The other guy brought on board was Ken Sawyer(not sure if that is who you are thinking of), but I believe he has a legal/financial background.

Team Needs:

1)A Captain - this team needs on ice leadership. They have not had it since Drury and Briere left Buffalo (old argument but still true). When Rivet was voted captain after being on the team for about a month I think that tells you something about the team. Rivet and Grier may be fine people but they are no Drury or Briere when it comes to leadership. I felt that as things got rough in the playoffs the Sabres cracked under pressure and Briere was right there leading the Flyers.

2)A couple people who can win a faceoff - This is discussed all over the board so I won't get into it.

3)A good hockey player or two that can also drop the gloves - Guys who can play hockey and yet stand up for themselves or their linemates. I think Briere is comfortable out there with Hartnell. This is the NHL. If the refs won't police the ice our players will need to do it. Gaustad and McCormick can't be out there all the time. Hopefully Kassien can fill that role but I'm not sure he will be NHL ready next year.

For the first time in a long time, I feel a ton of optimism. Maybe ton(s).This year, it just wasn't all that likely we were going to go very far given the amazing pre-playoff run coupled with the injuries. In the end, we ran out of gas and bodies. Plus, we just don't have the horses yet. Even so - we pushed the #2 seed to the brink, twice. We just didn't have what it takes to finish them, but even if we had, I'm not sure we were in shape to go too much longer.I like to pile on Darcy as much as the next guy, but maybe with Pegula we've now got the ability to match up Darcy's eye for young talent with an ability to get some "right now" guys. It could be a killer combination, especially with a goaltending tandem that looks pretty darn promising.

I agree with all that.

The fact that if we did get them eliminated, we probably would have squandered out in the 2nd round to Washington

How many players have to be turned over in order for Pegula's 3 year plan to succeed. Changing a bunch of 3rd and 4th line players and 3rd pairing blueliners isn't going to cut it.The team needs a transfusion in a BIG way.

I say either next playoffs (far cry imo for a Cup) but in 2 seasons we will be contending; something about this team just seems so close to being over that hill.

6) 2 Centers, 2 Defencemen. May be a little naivete to think we'll shake it up that much, but sorely needed.

Agreed. We need 2 centers and 2 defencemen. No more LW's playing center PLEASE !!!!

I'd like to see a #1 center for Vanek and a second scoring line center as well. Roll 3 scoring lines and Have Goose center a checking/energy line.

And we need a top tier defenceman in addition to Myers. A real honest-to-goodness hard to play against defenceman. We are going to have to give up alot to get one. It's a good think we have alot of wingers to offer up.

Archived