Season Notes: 2010 - 2011

BuffaloSoldier2010

Again -- there is a perfectly good offseason thread about 1/8 of an inch away. Starting a new one is just a waste of everyone's time.

Sorry, didn't see that one as I think I was typing this one while that one was created. Is there a way for a moderator to copy my post over there and delete this thread without losing my post?

2010-2011 Revelations:

Forwards:

Gerbe's got heart, and a hell of a shot. "Don't Pat the Gerbe"

Ennis is solid, but he's going to be phenominal in a few years.

Vanek still has that magic touch, 5 goals in 7 playoff games shows it.

Stafford is as streaky as the naked mile, maybe we can get some good return on some kind of trade.

Pominville's Iron man streak prior to the concussion seems to have caught up to him, but he can still play at a high level.

Brad Boyes needs to play WING.

Patrick Kaleta, does it get any betta?

We need a legitimate top line center. No, seriously Darcy, get on that.

Defense:

Myers still has ALOT of growing to do, but he can be mean, and you won't like him when he's mean.

Gragniani is an animal, and deserves a roster spot, If only he shot just a little more...

Weber is the real deal, He's going to be a great D-man with a little more experience.

Butler would best serve this team as part of a trade deal.

We need a RELIABLE defensive veteran. None of this Montador / Rivet ######.

Goaltending:

We have a viable backup in jhonas Ethron, and I'm looking forward to a far better seed next year because of it.

Miller's amazing, but he needs a solid defense around him, as can be said with any goalie.

Sorry, didn't see that one as I think I was typing this one while that one was created. Is there a way for a moderator to copy my post over there and delete this thread without losing my post?

Wait... what the hell am I apologizing for? I can make a new, pertinent thread if I want to! So... there! :-P

2010-2011 Revelations:

Forwards:

Gerbe's got heart, and a hell of a shot. "Don't Pat the Gerbe"

Ennis is solid, but he's going to be phenominal in a few years.

Vanek still has that magic touch, 5 goals in 7 playoff games shows it.

Stafford is as streaky as the naked mile, maybe we can get some good return on some kind of trade.

Solid breakdown and I agree with most of it. As for Stafford, I think he is prime trade material. I feel like both he AND the Sabres would benefit from his trade. I think he needs a change of scenery maybe to wakeup his inner-goal-scorer. Also, I gotta believe his streakiness is somehow linked to who he plays with.

I wouldn't be too upset if they got someone good for Miller.

I'd be happy with someone "slightly more than average, but cheaper" than Miller. Because I feel that's what we got in Miller, he's a great goalie, but has a tendency to just let it go some games. I feel like if we get someone just good enough to start, Splitting game 3:1 or 4:1 with Enroth next season, we'll have an animal that is Jhonas in 2012-13.

Any reason to think he would?

No concrete evidence, of course, but I speculate that he's getting tired of being relied on like the Sabres do, he's tired of being left out to dry under the system, and he's tired of being the target after the games. This is just from listening to his interviews, especially after a loss when the little demons in his head have more sway.

:doh: I forgot, but, yes, maybe he wants to be on a contender while he's still a #1 goalie.

He's 30. He's not going to be in his prime forever.

I do think he likes Buffalo though. He seemed extra pumped up after we clinched our playoff spot.

Hire an expert power play coach. Lindy still has no clue. When we score it's despite him rather than because of him. Also, any team that gives up so many shorthanded goals clearly needs help in this area.

Game 7 was the perfect example. The Versus announcers were saying we played as if we were shorthanded while actually on the power play. It's been a pattern too long.

How about a new director of pro scouting and/or different and/or some more pro scouts? I like what we've done in the draft the past few years (the two Tylers, Adams, Kassian, Foligno, etc.), but our free agent moves have been awful. Hard to say who is at fault, but if TP is ready to spend some cash, maybe some new/additional pro scouts? Or maybe that falls to Darcy? (I really have no idea)

We all know why free agency was terrible. It's hard to get A-list free agents to take you seriously when you are offering them one-year deals for chump money. I have to believe that will change. Terry's got his checkbook open with a new pen full of ink.

I'm betting 10+ players will turn over this off-season. Feel-good-group-hug-happy-time is officially over.

PTR

Archived