Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a bottle of Berheim's wheat whiskey (Heaven Hill distillery - same folks that make Elijah Craig) in my cabinet. It is really soft, subtle stuff. Nice change of pace but generally I like more complexity in my whiskey. If theirs is anywhere near as good as Bernheim's I'll be impressed.

Finally got around to locating some Bernheim.  I do enjoy it very much.  Very mild and gentle.  Soft and subtle are good terms for it.  51% soft winter wheat, 39% corn and 10% barley malt. 

I do love the wheated whiskeys; the wheaters.  The Weller's & Larceny of course

I would love to try more of those outliers. The high wheats, high oat, high triticale,  If I ever won the lotto I would start up a distillery and play with all those weird grains.  Make plenty of moonshine, vodka and gin so as not to lose my shirt as the whiskey ages.

Finally got around to locating some Bernheim.  I do enjoy it very much.  Very mild and gentle.  Soft and subtle are good terms for it.  51% soft winter wheat, 39% corn and 10% barley malt. 

I do love the wheated whiskeys; the wheaters.  The Weller's & Larceny of course

I would love to try more of those outliers. The high wheats, high oat, high triticale,  If I ever won the lotto I would start up a distillery and play with all those weird grains.  Make plenty of moonshine, vodka and gin so as not to lose my shirt as the whiskey ages.

I've been hording the 2 bottles of Weller I have.  Rarely seem to be able to find it in retailers nearby.  One of those bottles is a 12yr.  They don't make any better.  Now that I can afford good bottles again I need to break those out once in a while.  They've been collecting dust for about 4 years now.

*I know that monocle is around here somewhere*

I've been hording the 2 bottles of Weller I have.  Rarely seem to be able to find it in retailers nearby.  One of those bottles is a 12yr.  They don't make any better.  Now that I can afford good bottles again I need to break those out once in a while.  They've been collecting dust for about 4 years now.

The 12 year are my favorite of the 3 (then OWA  followed by SR.)  Of course BTAC Weller would be in another category I hope to enjoy someday. They've all become as rare as anything nowadays.

The 12 year are my favorite of the 3 (then OWA  followed by SR.)  Of course BTAC Weller would be in another category I hope to enjoy someday. They've all become as rare as anything nowadays.

Same order for me too.

When I first found Weller Antique, a retailer in Brockport was selling it for $19.99 for a 1.75L bottle.  Not a mis-type.  Before everyone knew that Weller was the same recipe as Van Winkle they sold the stuff for cheap.  I was crowing about how good it was to anyone who would listen.  And then bourbon blew up and those bottles of Antique went to $24.99, and then $29.99, and then you couldn't find it any more.  I don't think I've seen a 1.75L bottle of Weller in 5 years.  Maybe longer. the 1.0L bottles are going for $30+ now....... when you can find them.

Same order for me too.

When I first found Weller Antique, a retailer in Brockport was selling it for $19.99 for a 1.75L bottle.  Not a mis-type.  Before everyone knew that Weller was the same recipe as Van Winkle they sold the stuff for cheap.  I was crowing about how good it was to anyone who would listen.  And then bourbon blew up and those bottles of Antique went to $24.99, and then $29.99, and then you couldn't find it any more.  I don't think I've seen a 1.75L bottle of Weller in 5 years.  Maybe longer. the 1.0L bottles are going for $30+ now....... when you can find them.

The good old days of 2-3 years ago.  :)

I haven't bought the $30 750ml I've seen of the SR.  But I know by next year I will regret it.

Hey we've, did you grow any squash in that crazy garden of yours?  This sounds intriguing:

http://www.liquor.com/articles/butternut-squash-old-fashioned/#gs.eVFcs4A

I just so happen to have about one and a half bushels of squash in the basement. 

No idea where I'd find that banana liqueur though.  Maybe I could make my own.......

It does sound intriguing.  I made an apple cinnamon infused bourbon last Fall.  And I've got a ginger, carrot infused vodka in the cabinet that makes an awesome savory martini type thing.

Dammit, Bio.  Now you've got me interested.

I just so happen to have about one and a half bushels of squash in the basement. 

No idea where I'd find that banana liqueur though.  Maybe I could make my own.......

It does sound intriguing.  I made an apple cinnamon infused bourbon last Fall.  And I've got a ginger, carrot infused vodka in the cabinet that makes an awesome savory martini type thing.

Dammit, Bio.  Now you've got me interested.

That's it; I'm moving back East! I can take your son's room when he leaves for college, right?  :P

Edited by biodork

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are bottling a new whiskey at my company. Its called Cask & Crew. Probably not for all the snobs but its not bad. There is Rye, ginger and walnut toffeee flavors. Hopefully, you will enjoy.

Sounds intriguing!  I ordered a Sazerac kit online the other day... far too little whiskey in recent weeks.  That shall change come New Year's!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.