Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Noone here is an expert.  Please, give us your thoughts.

Well, I was dancing around the fact that I've had it on two occasions: one I was in the bag enough that I can't recall much about it other than thinking it was really great at the time. The second time was at a liquor tasting event at the Philadelphia Flower Show (aka, something for the bros to do). I had many samples that day and didn't take notes so I can't give any details, but Dad's Hat stuck out as being something I'd look for again. Sorry I can't be more help. Based on my tastes, I'd guess that means very little bite, maybe a bit sweet, and medium smoke and oak. But I'm just talking nonsense, really.

The other local find from that day was Pennsylvania Distilling's Bluecoat Gin. I still like Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction's Sage Gin more for my G&T, but if I were looking for something PA-local, Bluecoat is a nice option.

Edited by MattPie

Oh, speaking of Old Forrester 1870, I got this bottle for my birthday. Forgot to post my thoughts on it when I first opened it.

The label on the bottle indicates that it is a blend of 3 different barrels, aged for different lengths of time, in different warehouses. Judging by the color and character, this ain't no 3 yr old whiskey. 90 proof. Deep, rich amber in color. Sweet honey, cinnamon candy, and herbal notes on the nose. Brown sugar, honey, spicy mint, vanilla, and caramel on the palate. There is light, fruitiness there too, like caramelized pears. Light bodied and a thin mouthfeel, especially after a splash of water is added. There is a spicy caraway and almost orange character on the way out. And a long, tingly black pepper and honey finale.

Really nice pour. And different from the typical Heaven Hill or Buffalo Trace bottlings.

The Old Forrester was what my buddy was drinking while I was enjoying the Blanton's. It was a nice pour and he was living it but it certainly had a spicy pepper finish that may not be for everyone.

Also damn work computer blocks the whisky thread so I have to post from my phone

Third glass of Black Velvet toasted caramel tonight... Sorry guys, not enough hair on my chest yet for straight unflavored whiskey

I hear you.

I like a nice scotch with a  good cigar on a very special occasion. 

A clean straight up whiskey/bourbon not a fan.

But I wouldn't pass on a sipper of some Wild Turkey's American Honey. 

So last night, my whole world was turned upside down.  I went to my friends' (Nick and Nicole--can't make that up) house for a little post-Christmas cheer, which was partially in the form of a glass of Angel's Envy bourbon.

Holy. .

This is the stuff they drink in Valhalla.  I'm convinced.  

It's not just a clever name.  I think angels actually envy those who drink this bourbon.

So last night, my whole world was turned upside down. I went to my friends' (Nick and Nicole--can't make that up) house for a little post-Christmas cheer, which was partially in the form of a glass of Angel's Envy bourbon.

Holy. ######.

This is the stuff they drink in Valhalla. I'm convinced.

It's not just a clever name. I think angels actually envy those who drink this bourbon.

Port barrel finished. I like the sound of that.

Alright. It's a rainy afternoon, Josie is napping off the holiday stress in the bed room, there's a Harry Potter marathon on tv and I've got a little reading to do. Time to crack this bottle of John J Bowman as previously sampled by weave.

This hits the tongue with a ton of spice then backs off to a mellow finish. I'm getting vanilla and some kind of floral note I can't put my finger on. It floats to the nose like drinking an herbal tea. A little licorice I think. And pepper. Yes pepper. The burn of the booze lasts on the tongue in exactly the way you'd want it to this time of year.

I'm pleased. I'm all about spice with my whiskey/whisky and this passes muster.

It kinda makes me want egg nog.

Wife got me a few bottles of bourbon for Christmas that were on my list - Four Roses Single Barrel and John E. Fitzgerald Larceny.

Currently enjoying the four roses with a single cube. It had a spicy yet fragrant taste with nutmeg on the finish. Very smooth and definitely a different taste - starts smooth with honey and maple and then provides the flowery (?) notes at the end. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's damn good.

Wife got me a few bottles of bourbon for Christmas that were on my list - Four Roses Single Barrel and John E. Fitzgerald Larceny.

Currently enjoying the four roses with a single cube. It had a spicy yet fragrant taste with nutmeg on the finish. Very smooth and definitely a different taste - starts smooth with honey and maple and then provides the flowery (?) notes at the end. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's damn good.

Yup.  Four Roses is known for its perfumey character.  Good notice there.

Edited by We've

Alright. It's a rainy afternoon, Josie is napping off the holiday stress in the bed room, there's a Harry Potter marathon on tv and I've got a little reading to do. Time to crack this bottle of John J Bowman as previously sampled by weave.

This hits the tongue with a ton of spice then backs off to a mellow finish. I'm getting vanilla and some kind of floral note I can't put my finger on. It floats to the nose like drinking an herbal tea. A little licorice I think. And pepper. Yes pepper. The burn of the booze lasts on the tongue in exactly the way you'd want it to this time of year.

I'm pleased. I'm all about spice with my whiskey/whisky and this passes muster.

It kinda makes me want egg nog.

I want Harry Potter marathon and bourbon now.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite thread is back!

I'm attempting to not drink beer for the foreseeable future. What's a good sipping whiskey that won't cost $25 a glass?

Are you looking for something you are buying from the bar or for home?

There's plenty of good stuff to take home for under $30 a bottle in the bourbon realm. Most places around town will still charge $8-$10 per glass for a whisky neat.

I'm attempting to not drink beer for the foreseeable future. What's a good sipping whiskey that won't cost $25 a glass?

It needs to be pretty available as I know the selection is limited.

Availability in bars?  Probably Maker's Mark is your best bet.  And I don't mind sipping Wild Turkey at all if it's over ice.

Dewars, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie I know are available where I go.

Ahhhhh..... *that* kind of whiskey.  Try all three.  Very different flavors.  Go with what you like the best.

Availability in bars? Probably Maker's Mark is your best bet. And I don't mind sipping Wild Turkey at all if it's over ice.

Ahhhhh..... *that* kind of whiskey. Try all three. Very different flavors. Go with what you like the best.

I realize they are scotches I just didn't want to limit myself. I'm looking forward to this ride.

Dewars, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie I know are available where I go.

Ahhh... scotches. Yes without knowing your personal taste preference you might have to try them all. Scotch has four distinct regions that have very different taste profiles, so until you know which *type* you like best, it's tough to give a true recommendation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.