Is this the most whacky, memorable Sabres season ever?

zow2

Just thinking about a few things that made this season one to not forget easily. From the top of my head...

- Starting off terribly and in last place for a while. awful at home

- Leading scorer Derek Roy down for the season...no way they can overcome that right?

- Vezina trophy winner Ryan Miller....so average he's not even one of the 6 All-Star goalies picked

- Rookie of the year Myers hits a sophomore slump big time

- Ownership quietly decides to sell the team. Something rarely seen during the mid-season.

- new ownership takes over and immediately makes a bigger impact than any ownership group seen in any sport in a while

- Rene Robert, estraged from the team is reunited with the French connection and he's back with the organization

- Enroth comes out of nowhere to relieve Miller and win some critical games

- Icon Rick Martin dies suddenly just a couple weeks after publicly being seen on the ice with his linemates

- Best team in hockey in the 2nd half of the season

Just thinking about a few things that made this season one to not forget easily. From the top of my head...

- Leading scorer Derek Roy down for the season...no way they can overcome that right?

- Vezina trophy winner Ryan Miller....so average he's not even one of the 6 All-Star goalies picked

- Ownership quietly decides to sell the team. Something rarely seen during the mid-season.

- new ownership takes over and immediately makes a bigger impact than any ownership group seen in any sport in a while

- Rene Robert, estraged from the team is reunited with the French connection and he's back with the organization

- Icon Rick Martin dies suddenly just a couple weeks after publicly being seen on the ice with his linemates

You know what it's been great. I've had a fun ride beginning this past Janurary. Yes they sucked to start the year but to come back the way they have is great. Let's enjoy the rest of this playoffs and build on the core we have in the summer.

At times this season it has felt we hit the lowest of lows and I have to credit the players ( many of which I had given up on, Some of which must go ) but they have pulled together and embraced their roles and played as a team. Really impressed with everything about this organization since January. Can't wait for the second season and all it will bring,good or bad because the future certainly looks bright for this team. Rookie of the year in the A.H.L. 3 years running. Gragnani A.H.L. outstanding defenceman. Go Sabres.

At times this season it has felt we hit the lowest of lows and I have to credit the players ( many of which I had given up on, Some of which must go ) but they have pulled together and embraced their roles and played as a team. Really impressed with everything about this organization since January. Can't wait for the second season and all it will bring,good or bad because the future certainly looks bright for this team. Rookie of the year in the A.H.L. 3 years running. Gragnani A.H.L. outstanding defenceman. Go Sabres.

I really think winning breds more winning. Creates a better attitude in an organization, so I really hope they do not loose in the first round.

I'd like to add one more thing and it seems fitting that I do it because I hate TC. - TC started off terrible but in the last 2 months has turned into the smart puck moving center we have all been waiting for him to become.

I said it, lol.

What a year. This team just reinvented itself shortly after roy went down and have not let up sense. Roy coming make back could make this team a whole lot better, or it could have the reverse effect. After seeing how they have done, I am going with Roy's return = more scoring power not less leadership from others.

I really think winning breds more winning. Creates a better attitude in an organization, so I really hope they do not loose in the first round.

I agree, I think this is big in attracting free agents this summer. The players around the league must of taken notice by now of our new owner making promises of pumping money into the equipment/player amenities/arena etc. Now if the team can make it to atleast the second round, players may think this is the spot to be for contention next year and beyond.

I'd add:

Hasek returns, gets a standing O, not a boo is heard. That didn't seem plausible to me in October, let alone after Pegula took over the team.

OSP admits the only direction he have his management team was to break even. Since then, it's felt like the fall of the Berlin Wall.

"You're my hero."

Last night.

It has been a wild ride.

96-97 was pretty nutty. I don't think it compares to 10-11.

I'd add:

Hasek returns, gets a standing O, not a boo is heard. That didn't seem plausible to me in October, let alone after Pegula took over the team.

OSP admits the only direction he have his management team was to break even. Since then, it's felt like the fall of the Berlin Wall.

"You're my hero."

Last night.

It has been a wild ride.

And that the Sabres aren't the joke that some people on this board believe they are.

I'd add:

"You're my hero."

Last night.

It has been a wild ride.

Strange typing this but I agree with 100% of this post haha jk PA.

Oddly enough, this has been the most interesting season for the Sabres since the Cup Run with Hasek.

It definitely is the whakkiest season I can remember of 40 years of Sabres hockey.

Good topic and way to point out the main points of a rather unusual season.

Let's all hope it ends with our boys, our city, cheering for a Parade in Buffalo come June.

Most of the players have been with Buffalo for a long time now and they are finally reaching their potential. I also think these same players share the feelings of the fans, they're sick of underachieving. I see them making a deep run this year (at least the 2nd round) and we've all learned this year that Good things come to those who wait.

Depending on what happens in the playoffs, it might be better than 05-06. Unless we get to the SC finals, however, it won't be better than 06-07. If most memorable is the criterion, it's hard to beat 06-07. October Storm game, 10-0 start, the brawl (and the 15 memorable things about the brawl itself), trading Biron, the President's Cup, the crazy Drury seven tenths of a second GWG, the the conference finals, etc.

Depending on what happens in the playoffs, it might be better than 05-06. Unless we get to the SC finals, however, it won't be better than 06-07. If most memorable is the criterion, it's hard to beat 06-07. October Storm game, 10-0 start, the brawl (and the 15 memorable things about the brawl itself), trading Biron, the President's Cup, the crazy Drury seven tenths of a second GWG, the the conference finals, etc.

06-07 was a great season but i NEVER ONCE was able to shake the feeling that Ottawa had our # in the playoffs... and boy did they. 2005-06 remains the best year/season of my life and it's not even close for me. part of it was that it was so unexpected for buffalo to do as well as they did. it seemed like every other game was a come-from-behind OT victory. they called them the cardiac kids for a while. but it probably also has to do with being 15/16 and getting wasted with my best friends every friday/saturday game. the whole year was just magical. 06-07 was just a little too good to be true, you know? i expected that failure the whole season, especially the way ottawa whipped us around. 05-06 I still believe we would have won the cup if not for all those injuries... but i've tried to let it go.

I'd add that when it came to making the playoffs, this team and coaches did it by WINNING, not relying on someone else to lose. We beat the 'Canes, Rangers, Thrashers and Habs when it was most important (even an OT loss to the Canes a month ago still gave us an important point). We also beat the top teams, not just bottom feeders (of course, we never really figured out the Isles).

I can't use the word wacky to describe the season. It's more like being shy, in your early twenties and hearing "yes" when you ask the most beautiful woman you have ever seen to go out with you. Then, you find out she is as beautiful inside as she is outside. And she tells you she wants to spend the rest of her life only with you. And she comes from a very rich family.

In other words, a surreal dream state engulfed me when Terry Pegula was publicly introduced to Buffalo in the atrium. A wildest dream fulfilled. The new owner paying homage to Gilbert and the other Sabres veterans. Telling us it's all about winning Cups and nothing else. Then we go on a tear like we've hardly ever seen before.

Wacky? No. Euphoric? Certainly. Freakin' the most glorious, heart-tugging, adrenaline-pumping, primal-scream inducing transition I've felt since the Bills' Superbowl years. YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!

GO SABRES! Bring it HOME!!!!

Don't worry about the fishsticks. They never factored into the equation anyway.

I wasn't worried about them other than they should have been easy points for us, but it just goes to show no wins are easy. I still remember Gerry Meehan scoring a GW winning goal over the Flyers in '72 on the last day of the season, which knocked the Flyers out of the playoffs. There are Flyer alumni still feeling the sting from that.

I wasn't worried about them other than they should have been easy points for us, but it just goes to show no wins are easy. I still remember Gerry Meehan scoring a GW winning goal over the Flyers in '72 on the last day of the season, which knocked the Flyers out of the playoffs. There are Flyer alumni still feeling the sting from that.

I guess this probably explains why there is such a heated rivalry between us and the Flyers after all these years.

I can't use the word wacky to describe the season. It's more like being shy, in your early twenties and hearing "yes" when you ask the most beautiful woman you have ever seen to go out with you. Then, you find out she is as beautiful inside as she is outside. And she tells you she wants to spend the rest of her life only with you. And she comes from a very rich family.

In other words, a surreal dream state engulfed me when Terry Pegula was publicly introduced to Buffalo in the atrium. A wildest dream fulfilled. The new owner paying homage to Gilbert and the other Sabres veterans. Telling us it's all about winning Cups and nothing else. Then we go on a tear like we've hardly ever seen before.

Wacky? No. Euphoric? Certainly. Freakin' the most glorious, heart-tugging, adrenaline-pumping, primal-scream inducing transition I've felt since the Bills' Superbowl years. YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!

GO SABRES! Bring it HOME!!!!

...but she loves cats--strike 1

...and she has some issues--strike 2

..she is in therapy--strike 3

...for nymphomania

---catcher drops the ball..

Archived