Is this the most whacky, memorable Sabres season ever?

zow2

I don't think this season has sunk in to me yet. It's been thoroughly enjoyable since the new year. and especially since Pegula Day. It has been wild. Now I'm nervous for the playoffs, just hope they can continue playing so well.

From the numbers, it was quite the ride...

2010-2011 Buffalo Sabres:

Month: M Rec.: Points: Ov. Rec.: Points:

October: 3-7-2 8 Points 3-7-2 8 Points

November: 6-6-1 13 Points 9-13-3 21 Points

December: 6-5-1 13 Points 15-18-4 34 Points

January: 8-3-1 17 Points 23-21-5 51 Points

February: 6-4-2 14 Points 29-25-7 65 Points

March: 10-4-2 22 Points 39-29-9 87 Points

April: 4-0-1 7 Points 43-29-10 96 Points

They lost their 3rd in a row on Sunday, February 20th, then proceeded to go 16-4-4 the rest of the way (& I don't think it's a coincidence that the ownership change took place right about the same time).

Also intriguing that 4 years later, the Sabres, Briere & Drury are all heading into the playoffs...

Where will it lead? Good to be heading into the playoffs on a positive note!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!

Let's face it, the season will be wacky when we take the Cup. The NHL has no idea how wacky that would be!

I don't even think the NHL realizes that the Sabres are in the playoffs.

Very typical minimalist coverage by NHL on Buf. It's like we do not even exist. IMO this season should be one of the stories of the year. Instead they choose to dwell on CAR. missing the playoffs & NYR clinching 8th. Having said that I kind of like being under the radar.

I wouldnt say whacky season....

I would categorize it more as a "realization of faults"

With that being said, the team (somehow) figured out midway thru the season that this was not gonna get them anywhere.

Started to play like they were expected to from the start and now look. We have a date with the Flyers for 4 games at least...

Similar to the Devils, but the Devils didnt make it and slacked off towards the end.

Don't take it out on me because you woke-up at 5 AM alone with you wallet missing, again.

Actually I got home at 5am. I had a fantastic night. But it looks like you pissed in your own cheerios yesterday. Is it because you like the taste?

Just thinking about a few things that made this season one to not forget easily. From the top of my head...

- Starting off terribly and in last place for a while. awful at home

- Leading scorer Derek Roy down for the season...no way they can overcome that right?

- Vezina trophy winner Ryan Miller....so average he's not even one of the 6 All-Star goalies picked

- Rookie of the year Myers hits a sophomore slump big time

- Ownership quietly decides to sell the team. Something rarely seen during the mid-season.

- new ownership takes over and immediately makes a bigger impact than any ownership group seen in any sport in a while

- Rene Robert, estraged from the team is reunited with the French connection and he's back with the organization

- Enroth comes out of nowhere to relieve Miller and win some critical games

- Icon Rick Martin dies suddenly just a couple weeks after publicly being seen on the ice with his linemates

- Best team in hockey in the 2nd half of the season

I'll admit that I said with 100% certainty that they'd miss the playoffs after seeing the news about Roy. I guess I can be wrong sometimes. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the fishsticks. They never factored into the equation anyway.

I don't even think the NHL realizes that the Sabres are in the playoffs.

Very typical minimalist coverage by NHL on Buf. It's like we do not even exist. IMO this season should be one of the stories of the year. Instead they choose to dwell on CAR. missing the playoffs & NYR clinching 8th. Having said that I kind of like being under the radar.

There was an article on Yahoo earlier in the week identifying the Sabres as one of the "teams you don't want to play;" I don't think they're being ignored.

The thing that has been most unusual to me about this season is how much the young guys have contributed, even as the "core" has matured into veteran leaders. When the season started, did you think that Ennis, Gerbe, Sekera, Butler, and Weber would be among the most consistent players on the team? Would you have thought that the Sabres could have completed this playoff push with Mancari, Ellis, Gragnani, and Enroth out there taking care of business? Crazy to think that all those injuries to veteran players made no difference, even when every point was critical to survival. I almost feel like there's a changing of the guard going on with this team.

The future is looking bright in Buffalo.

Archived