Anyone have the last minute of play?

gregkash

Not to be a dick, but that is a sad statement on the NHL.We were in this position about ten years ago in a end-of-season game against Washington.We tied at the end if regulation to earn the playoff berth.Just something wrong about it.Otherwise, we are supposed to make the playoffs.Anthony less is a failure.Congrats to this team and the run they have made since December.I had them wrote off, Lindy and Darcy fired, and the fire sale of players.What a huge accomplishment.

I did as well; crazy turn around.

As for this being wrong.

I dont think its wrong, but mere use of strategy based on the NHL points system.

Point system needs to be changed. You shouldn't get a point for losing a game. Eliminate the shootout, go to a 10 minute 4-on-4 OT. A very good chance someone will score in 10 minutes. Winner gets 2 points, loser 0. After 10 minutes then game is a tie with each team getting 1 point. I think if teams know that they have to win to get 2 you won't see teams settling for OT and a SO. JMO.

Sounds like a great idea.

But Im sure the NHL doesnt want to have a clear loser :P

I think the meaning behind the current system, is that its a tie headed to OT so each team gets 1 then the winner has to get 2 so they get the "extra"

Wow. Folks need to lighten up. From a strategy standpoint. It was the right thing to do for both teams as they each needed the point, and it amounted to 45 seconds of hockey. Plus, both teams knew there was overtime and a shootout to decide a winner. I have no problem with it.

:thumbsup:

Separate out anger from conversation. No one, and I mean no one on this board is angry about last night.

It's always a good morning when Buffalo beats Philly.

I continue to be astounded that some people can't see the difference between the first "level" of being a fan -- you know, what happens in a certain place called the real world -- and things that are written on a message board. I'll call that the second "level" of being a fan. SabreSpace isn't where I exist as a fan. I can absolutely love the last 45 seconds in real life, then come on here and question it. Yes, if you want to analyze it and debate it, it was a brutal way for a hockey game to end. So I loved something that was brutal.

Hell, I argued after Roy went down that the Sabres should angle for the top pick. I've never watched a Sabres game and wanted them to lose.

Who said being a fan is rational?

I continue to be astounded that some people can't see the difference between the first "level" of being a fan -- you know, what happens in a certain place called the real world -- and things that are written on a message board. I'll call that the second "level" of being a fan. SabreSpace isn't where I exist as a fan. I can absolutely love the last 45 seconds in real life, then come on here and question it. Yes, if you want to analyze it and debate it, it was a brutal way for a hockey game to end. So I loved something that was brutal.

Hell, I argued after Roy went down that the Sabres should angle for the top pick. I've never watched a Sabres game and wanted them to lose.

I'd like to quote this for the current line of convo going on in the Charts.... thread.

My point was that in all of professional sports, it is the only sport that makes not competing the right thing to do. On second thought maybe football (soccer) could generate this moment/decision.

not to point out the blatently obvious, but ...

football has the 40-second play clock. if you compress a football game into actual time played, it only takes about 20 minutes to play. so ... what's going on with the other 40 minutes? standing around, not competing. unless you're running the hurry-up offense.

45 seconds of not skating in the ONLY professional sport that actually plays a full 60 minutes is nothing for anyone to whine about.

The team that kneels down is usually ahead unless it's at the end of the first half.

Or the end of regulation to send it to OT.

I think of it this way - sometimes in football, the quarterback will kneel the ball or waste clock just to get to overtime because he doesn't want to risk giving the other team a chance to win in regulation. This is what both teams did, they would rather settle the game in overtime.

Agreed, the only difference being that the NHL awards teams for going to OT, which seems wrong.

It often does happen in soccer. In fact, there was a game where a team deliberately scored on itself--and then defended its opponent's net: http://www.snopes.com/sports/soccer/barbados.asp

I was thinking the same thing. In pro basketball, we refer to the same phenomenon as "the first 46 minutes of the game."

Beautifully said! And true.

I think of it this way - sometimes in football, the quarterback will kneel the ball or waste clock just to get to overtime because he doesn't want to risk giving the other team a chance to win in regulation. This is what both teams did, they would rather settle the game in overtime.

This is nearly the perfect comparison. Remember the famous NY Giant highlight when they handed off instead of Kneeling?

Good decision to keep competing there!

As the clock was ticking down I wondered if the NHL would fine both teams. For two teams to stop playing while the outcome of the game is still in doubt really is an insult to the integrity of the game.

No offense, but this is a little hard to take coming from the guy who has stressed the importance of what happens in the post season (only the Cup matters) and diminished the importance of the regular season as much as you have in the past. ;)

curious did philly make their last line change in there somewhere? 45 seconds seems about right. philly presses, pulls back and then seems to press again. thi

also more so than the taking a knee, i think last night was like a touchback. sabres sat back and took what was garaunteed, and that is ok. yeah if i am the rangers i am pissed, but when you are battling for last spots for the playoffs then teams are always battling with one point here and there. everybody is subject to its benifits(and negatives) at times.

i get the sentiment that it wasnt the most noble thing to do if youre the flyers(what should the sabres have done different), but i really dont think it is a huge deal

But that didn't end the game. Vanek scoring on a breakaway ended it.

As the clock was ticking down I wondered if the NHL would fine both teams. For two teams to stop playing while the outcome of the game is still in doubt really is an insult to the integrity of the game.

:lol: This is even funnier because I don't think you are joking.

Point system needs to be changed. You shouldn't get a point for losing a game. Eliminate the shootout, go to a 10 minute 4-on-4 OT. A very good chance someone will score in 10 minutes. Winner gets 2 points, loser 0. After 10 minutes then game is a tie with each team getting 1 point. I think if teams know that they have to win to get 2 you won't see teams settling for OT and a SO. JMO.

Here's my idea for re-vitalizing the points system.

3 pts for a regulation win

2 pts for an overtime win

1 pt for a shootout win

0 pts for losses

The system rewards winners and makes losers pay the price. I know it will never happen, but it would make more sense than the current system.

My point was that in all of professional sports, it is the only sport that makes not competing the right thing to do. On second thought maybe football (soccer) could generate this moment/decision.

Basketball makes it advantageous to foul late in the game when you are behind. Deliberate fouls to gain an advantage seems even screwier to me than this.

As long as they didn't agree to end in a tie before the game or between periods, there's no shame in playing it safe for the final 45 seconds.

If the Rangers lose in OT today, the Canes will play for 1 pt tonight.

That's the advantage of controlling your own destiny.

I need to go back to the DVR to get the exact time, but I'm pretty sure that, with something in the 90 seconds to go or less range during a stoppage in play, Razor didn't realize his mike was on and yelled something like "we just made the playoffs! F----ing way to go boys!"

Did anyone else hear it?

I need to go back to the DVR to get the exact time, but I'm pretty sure that, with something in the 90 seconds to go or less range during a stoppage in play, Razor didn't realize his mike was on and yelled something like "we just made the playoffs! F----ing way to go boys!"

Did anyone else hear it?

Yes. Crystal clear..

Did anyone else hear it?

HHAHAHAHAHAHHA, no I must have missed that. Hilarious.

Did anyone else hear it?

If my head wasn't exploding every time I watched that. I would have noticed. :lol:

Did anyone else hear it?

I thought that's what he said. I was unsure though. Ahhh what a fun night, had crazy goals, alumni, fans going nuts, Razor swearing btw the benches... GOOD TIMES IN BLO! Lets win a Stanley cup, I am starting in earnest to believe.

Archived