Ted Black Chat News

PASabreFan

It would be great if the Sabres retired Miller's number next fall -- if the league would allow a visiting player to be so honored.

:nana:

That had me rolling on the floor, PA. Keep 'em comin'. Good stuff.

GO SABRES!!!

like every city on a big lake, we generally have high humidity. people talk about it mostly when it gets warm out ("it's not the heat, it's the humidity"), but the fact is that high water content in our air is something that we get throughout the year. i just checked the NWS page for buffalo -- we're at 93% humidity and 37 F.

my wife studied at UB in a graduate sciences program in the 90s. there was a large contingent of chinese nationals in her program, several of whom were from parts of china that had seriously cold winters. even so, i heard several complaints from some of them about how buffalo's cold was more bone-chilling than they were accustomed to because of the humidity that accompanied it.

"Yeah, it's really cold here in China. But it's a dry cold."

GO SABRES!!!

like every city on a big lake, we generally have high humidity. people talk about it mostly when it gets warm out ("it's not the heat, it's the humidity"), but the fact is that high water content in our air is something that we get throughout the year. i just checked the NWS page for buffalo -- we're at 93% humidity and 37 F.

my wife studied at UB in a graduate sciences program in the 90s. there was a large contingent of chinese nationals in her program, several of whom were from parts of china that had seriously cold winters. even so, i heard several complaints from some of them about how buffalo's cold was more bone-chilling than they were accustomed to because of the humidity that accompanied it.

The most likely cause of a high humidity issue in the arena isn't the regional atmospheric conditions. It is the huge mass of frozen water in the center of the building evaporating.

Typically around here the wintertime RH's are 30% and less. And that is at 30ish degrees F. Warmer air masses are capable of holding more water so when the building heats that air mass up the RH drops to probably less than 10%. That is why your house is so dry in the wintertime. In the dead of winter, humidity level in the air indoors is lower than humidity levels in the Goby Desert. But.... put a huge mass of frozen H2O in the room and it will surely raise the RH of the room considerably due to evaporation.

(yes, for those that didn't know, ice does evaporate)

The most likely cause of a high humidity issue in the arena isn't the regional atmospheric conditions. It is the huge mass of frozen water in the center of the building evaporating.

Typically around here the wintertime RH's are 30% and less. And that is at 30ish degrees F. Warmer air masses are capable of holding more water so when the building heats that air mass up the RH drops to probably less than 10%. That is why your house is so dry in the wintertime. In the dead of winter, humidity level in the air indoors is lower than humidity levels in the Goby Desert. But.... put a huge mass of frozen H2O in the room and it will surely raise the RH of the room considerably due to evaporation.

(yes, for those that didn't know, ice does evaporate)

post-760-009142800 1302188588_thumb.gif

even so, i disagree. every building has the same challenge you outline above, yet black seemed to be suggesting that our rink has a particular challenge in this regard.

and, fwiw, relative humidity in buffalo is near-constant year-round -- high 70s/low 80s in the a.m., and then anywhere from the 50s to low 70s in the p.m.

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/avgrh.html

post-760-009142800 1302188588_thumb.gif

even so, i disagree. every building has the same challenge you outline above, yet black seemed to be suggesting that our rink has a particular challenge in this regard.

and, fwiw, relative humidity in buffalo is near-constant year-round -- high 70s/low 80s in the a.m., and then anywhere from the 50s to low 70s in the p.m.

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/avgrh.html

I doubt our building is challenged more than most others. Certainly Detroit and Toronto would be similarly challenged. My guess is that the HVAC stystem was designed with Chet and Muffy's comfort in mind and playing surface wasn't considered much. Sounds like Black and Co. are more interested in compromising in favor of the on ice product. :thumbsup:

Certainly Detroit and Toronto would be similarly challenged.

QFT. and chicago, for that matter.

the rinks that would have an advantage, i reckon, would be ones like calgary, edmonton, denver, and such.

My guess is that the HVAC stystem was designed with Chet and Muffy's comfort in mind and playing surface wasn't considered much. Sounds like Black and Co. are more interested in compromising in favor of the on ice product. :thumbsup:

this.

QFT. and chicago, for that matter.

the rinks that would have an advantage, i reckon, would be ones like calgary, edmonton, denver, and such.

this.

OK. Now what do we argue about? :wallbash:

You two have a lot to learn about trolling.

Pathetic.

:thumbsup:

weave's point about how the arena's HVAC is installed/configured/calibrated made me reflect on how frickin' COLD it seemed when i went to the tampa bay game this week -- noticeably colder, it seemed, than it was when i went to the ott'wa game the day that rico died.

not that it seemed to have a big, positive effect on the quality of the ice.

I HATED the red ones, they reminded me of Carolina's uniform and I hate them so I could never warm up to those red jerseys. In fact Hate may not even be a strong enough word to voice my dislike of those red jerseys.

I have one. It has some good mojo associated with it. I wear it during must-win games, and the games are won. Yes, I wore it Sunday. Yes, a couple of people did double-takes, originally thinking that it was a toilet swirl sweater.

However, I realize that there is limited good mojo. So I cannot wear it for every game. Can't wear out the luck.

I also do not wear it to the Arena. When I wear a Sabres sweater to a game, the Sabres tend to lose. So tomorrow night, it's normal clothes.

Re: the Ted Black stuff, these guys do NOT mess around. Rick Martin dies, the tribute is THAT DAY, not some game a couple of days later. They take over and programs are printed and distributed immediately. They are an impressive, get-it-done, group.

You'd better stay away from Ed Kilgore's column. He's drinking TP's chardonnay already.

"Yes, having the late spark of new owner Terry Pegula turning Buffalo into a place players want to play didn't hurt..."

If you say so Ed.

Also: "Now here we are with the Sabres headed for the playoffs again, only they never contended for a division title and had to make a spirited run over the second half of the season to squeak into the post season."

Color me superstitious.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/117276/4/Sabres-Better-Now-Than-a-Year-Ago

"Ruff convinced Stafford he needed to be in better shape, and it has made a difference"

I want to put a freaking jart in my head....

It's possible. Like Black said, "Terry doesn't do push-ups. He pulls the world to him."

Wait. Did you just feel the earth move?

GO SABRES!!!

So is he causing all those earthquakes in Japan? Is this one of those butterfly effects?

:thumbsup:

weave's point about how the arena's HVAC is installed/configured/calibrated made me reflect on how frickin' COLD it seemed when i went to the tampa bay game this week -- noticeably colder, it seemed, than it was when i went to the ott'wa game the day that rico died.

not that it seemed to have a big, positive effect on the quality of the ice.

IIRC they turned the ambient temp of the building down for the WJC too.

I doubt our building is challenged more than most others. Certainly Detroit and Toronto would be similarly challenged. My guess is that the HVAC stystem was designed with Chet and Muffy's comfort in mind and playing surface wasn't considered much. Sounds like Black and Co. are more interested in compromising in favor of the on ice product. :thumbsup:

It may be worth noting that Detroit, Toronto, and Chicago are all predominately upwind of the lake, so the breeze would seem to be drier. I'm not a weather scientist though, it might not work that way.

Archived