Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Was pleased with our play tonight for the most part.

Our defense was average and the last 7 min of the game looked like a dump and change...it got the job done, but wont work for the whole rest of the year.

Other than tha, it was great game!

Miller was awesome!

My dad was always PO'd that they didn't bring Gerbe up to stay much sooner than they did. Gerbe was always one of the top point producers in the minors but never seemed to get a legitimate shot in the NHL. Who knows, if some of our so-called "stars" hadn't messed the bed earlier in the year, maybe Gerbe still has no shot. If I recall correctly, Ruff played Gerbe and Ennis out of frustration with his "pop guns." Isn't that right?

I think it was the rest of his game that he needed to work on....... :beer:

My dad was always PO'd that they didn't bring Gerbe up to stay much sooner than they did. Gerbe was always one of the top point producers in the minors but never seemed to get a legitimate shot in the NHL. Who knows, if some of our so-called "stars" hadn't messed the bed earlier in the year, maybe Gerbe still has no shot. If I recall correctly, Ruff played Gerbe and Ennis out of frustration with his "pop guns." Isn't that right?

Tell you the truth...I wanted him gone back in Dec.

He's been great since.

He's been great since.

Same here. Happy as hell to be wrong this time.

Is it me or does Gerbe seem so much stronger on his skates since the half-way point?

GO SABRES!!!

He's been great since.

Seems to me (what a pompous preface) that before Gerbe started scoring he really turned into a big time pest. Early January? There was definitely a turning point. You could almost see it in his face.

Same here. Happy as hell to be wrong this time.

Is it me or does Gerbe seem so much stronger on his skates since the half-way point?

GO SABRES!!!

He's always been a strong little SOB but he seems to have finally adapted his game to NHL level opponents. He knows he's capable of playing bigger than he is, but also that he can frustrate them by playing small. It's a great dynamic.

How could he be better? That is what we do know....... :beer:

hahahaha. You guys should check out TSN and see all of the comments regarding the refs "winning" the game for us.

I missed the first 2 periods but in the 3rd, I believe there was only one. Am I missing something?

hahahaha. You guys should check out TSN and see all of the comments regarding the refs "winning" the game for us.

I missed the first 2 periods but in the 3rd, I believe there was only one. Am I missing something?

We got more calls than the Habs, but it wasn't outrageous or anything. And, considering we didn't score any power play goals, I don't see why they would claim that caused the game outcome.

Seems to me (what a pompous preface) that before Gerbe started scoring he really turned into a big time pest. Early January? There was definitely a turning point. You could almost see it in his face.

His play with the puck has changed a lot. He was trying to lean and get shots around people, struggling to score. he finally realized that he could just move forward with the puck, and it is like trying to take a beanbag from a fast bulldog for defenders. He's skating better as well.

No doubt about that. He gets under their skin. I think it's easier to get frustrated with a small guy like Gerbe. I remember playing soccer when I was in like 5th grade, and I was short enough myself, but there was a kid who was half my size and yet was better than everyone on both teams. It was a real bitch playing against him.

Ennis too. Ennis hasn't been a "pest" per se, but he started throwing his body against people twice his size. And he tries to set up open-ice hits, which are rare enough from pests -- to see a goal scorer/playmaker like Ennis is a good sign.

HUGE Win tonight! Miller comes back with a determined performance to shut out the Canadiens. Good pace and pretty exciting low scoring game. Gerbe and Ennis are here to stay for the long haul. I did not like Gerbe's game for most of this year, but he's proven me wrong over the last few games. He's playing with confidence, he's in scoring areas, he's putting the puck on net, and most importantly, he's working hard on every shift. The hard work is paying off and he's getting rewarded. His grit, hard work, and attitude are what's going to keep him at the NHL level. Additionally, I have to say, he's been very good defensively for the Sabres. Statistically, his goal total is the same as Kennedy's from last year, and he's playing well defensively, hence I'm okay with how the whole Kennedy thing turned out given how Gerbe is performing right now. He's been real good so far.

Ennis has really been leading this team in scoring over the last few games. Didn't get on the board tonight, but he's exciting to watch and creates so many scoring opportunities when the puck is on his stick. It's still like Afinogenov when I cringe everytime the puck is on his stick cause I feel like he's going to turn it over, but he's been real good so far and most of this year.

Weber played really well tonight and I noticed he was getting a ton of minutes especially towards the end of the game. The young guys are really taking the charge and leading this team. I think the future is really bright for the Sabres with guys like Myers, Sekera, Ennis, Gerbe, and Weber. Hell, I've even liked the way Mancari has been playing and I like that Mancari-Gaustad-Gerbe line. It's physical, gritty, and they've been scoring quite a bit recently. I could see this team going into next year without Grier, Niedermeyer, and Hecht go with the guys they have now like Gerbe, Mancari, and maybe Luke Adam. Overall, great win, and the roll has to continue into this weekend against Florida and Jersey.

Great observation. I think you're absolutely right. Once Gerbe started turning into a pest and getting physical and started playing a bit nastier, he's started scoring a lot more. He's beginning to play with an edge and it's really turned his game around. I noticed that as well, and I think you're right on here.

HUGE Win tonight! Miller comes back with a determined performance to shut out the Canadiens. Good pace and pretty exciting low scoring game. Gerbe and Ennis are here to stay for the long haul. I did not like Gerbe's game for most of this year, but he's proven me wrong over the last few games. He's playing with confidence, he's in scoring areas, he's putting the puck on net, and most importantly, he's working hard on every shift. The hard work is paying off and he's getting rewarded. His grit, hard work, and attitude are what's going to keep him at the NHL level. Additionally, I have to say, he's been very good defensively for the Sabres. Statistically, his goal total is the same as Kennedy's from last year, and he's playing well defensively, hence I'm okay with how the whole Kennedy thing turned out given how Gerbe is performing right now. He's been real good so far.

Ennis has really been leading this team in scoring over the last few games. Didn't get on the board tonight, but he's exciting to watch and creates so many scoring opportunities when the puck is on his stick. It's still like Afinogenov when I cringe everytime the puck is on his stick cause I feel like he's going to turn it over, but he's been real good so far and most of this year.

Weber played really well tonight and I noticed he was getting a ton of minutes especially towards the end of the game. The young guys are really taking the charge and leading this team. I think the future is really bright for the Sabres with guys like Myers, Sekera, Ennis, Gerbe, and Weber. Hell, I've even liked the way Mancari has been playing and I like that Mancari-Gaustad-Gerbe line. It's physical, gritty, and they've been scoring quite a bit recently. I could see this team going into next year without Grier, Niedermeyer, and Hecht go with the guys they have now like Gerbe, Mancari, and maybe Luke Adam. Overall, great win, and the roll has to continue into this weekend against Florida and Jersey.

Nice post.

Althought I have to say that Ennis doesn't put his linemates offsides 5 times a game, which is what Imoffsidesagainoff would do. :D

You are right about Gerbe, I think a lot of it has to do with confidence and knowing what he has to do to be successful. When he got called up earlier in the season, he was watching and trying to be fancy. Now he has unleashed his inner Bulldog and he is successful.........He is a joy to watch....... :beer:

Hey all,

I'm looking for RECOMMENDATIONS on where to try to catch the game in MADISON, WI tonight.

Got stuck here for the night, so I'm stranded instead of in the air for the game.

.....Also just realized I only have fifteen minutes before the puck drops... stupid time difference! :nana:

Thanks!

Cereal

For the record:

Madison, WI is surprisingly and utterly (pun intended) useless for NHL hockey. UW womens' hockey has won 4 of the last 6 titles, but zero bars in town have NHL Center Ice. On a positive note, I enjoyed a nice long walk, interacted with employees of eight different sports bar in town, and I can't complain about an important victory for the Pegulas.

My dad was always PO'd that they didn't bring Gerbe up to stay much sooner than they did.

Many players, see mark mancari, have displayed an ability to produce at the AHL level. Only recently did Nathan find his niche as an NHL player. He needs to go all out every shift, and he finally realized it. I hope he's here to stay, he's unique to their roster an deserves it at this point.

I know vanek has had chances recently and I am very happy about the win tonight but I wasn't happy with his game. Maybe its just me but I feel like he gets lazy and gives up on plays too easily and I rarely see him battle on the boards, I also do not like how he stops skating after missing a chance to feel sorry for himself, I witnessed many other players hit a post and keep playing, unphased . I guess im expecting more from a 7 million dollar player. I don't mean to be a downer and I know he has a couple of decent backchecks once in a while but it's something I've observed recently and needed to vent about. Feel free to agree or criticize and as always GO SABERS!!!!

I know vanek has had chances recently and I am very happy about the win tonight but I wasn't happy with his game. Maybe its just me but I feel like he gets lazy and gives up on plays too easily and I rarely see him battle on the boards, I also do not like how he stops skating after missing a chance to feel sorry for himself, I witnessed many other players hit a post and keep playing, unphased . I guess im expecting more from a 7 million dollar player. I don't mean to be a downer and I know he has a couple of decent backchecks once in a while but it's something I've observed recently and needed to vent about. Feel free to agree or criticize and as always GO SABERS!!!!

:blink:

I think Miller needs to backcheck more too!

Go Sabers!

Was pleased with our play tonight for the most part.

Our defense was average and the last 7 min of the game looked like a dump and change...it got the job done, but wont work for the whole rest of the year.

Other than tha, it was great game!

Miller was awesome!

you should add more ###### to your signature. <_<

Archived