Kaleta update

Two or less

From Paul Hamilton-

Pat Kaleta's bruised knee has not improved. Lindy Ruff said, "Pat's actually worse today so there's no chance I don't think in the next couple of games."

The players did off ice workouts or nothing today. Two players that did go for a skate were Mike Grier and Jochen Hecht. Ruff said they'd be re-evaluated tomorrow before the Penguins game.

Link- http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9346549.php?contentType=4&contentId=7779086

Kaleta not doing well. But Grier and Hecht are getting closer to playing.

He shouldn't have turned his leg outward; not enough padding on the inside of the knee. I've been hit there before and it hurt like a MF'er, I can't imagine with an NHL slap shot how much it hurt. OMFG!

I doubt that he was thinking about all that, his priority on ice was to make sure that puck did not get near the goal. That is the kind of commitment and focus I hope all the players on the team show when they are on the ice.

I agree with your assessment -- assuming he makes it to the next contract..

I'd be somewhat suprised if he sees a next contract. Between injury history, his replacement a year or two away (Foligno), and players with his role aren't hard to find, I think he may already be on his last NHL contract.

Yeah, guys who play know to try to keep the pads forward, but the first priority at the pro level is to make the play. Be sure to applaud a little extra when he returns.

And if you're attacking the shooter at even the slightest angle, you're going to be opening up some soft spots.

I doubt that he was thinking about all that, his priority on ice was to make sure that puck did not get near the goal. That is the kind of commitment and focus I hope all the players on the team show when they are on the ice.

Agreed. Wasn't knocking him. Just wish he'd not done that!

Yeah, guys who play know to try to keep the pads forward, but the first priority at the pro level is to make the play. Be sure to applaud a little extra when he returns.

I love Kaleta and what he brings.

He seems to be going down a path similar to Jay McKee (but maybe not to the same degree/extent).

McKee's career in Buffalo and then in St Louis and Pittsburgh was cut short. But man did he bring a lot to the table-- just think what the team could have done in the 2006 ECF game if he didn't have that staph infection.

I don't think you can live without guys like Kaleta or McKee. They have their roles and they have the most heart in my opinion-- takes a lot to shotblock and put yourself in harms way. But they definitely can have shorter careers, even if they are skilled at blocking shots in the correct way-- hard to do that all the time in the moment of a game.

This is really too bad, certainly for Pat, but also for the Sabres. The energy he brings to the lineup is obvious and they are clearly a better team when he plays. This is a big loss. Hope he is back soon.

The timing was a bit strange. I made a comment mid-game to my brother that I really haven't liked the way he's been playing lately and if someone has to come out should everyone return healthy, I'd consider benching him.

Well, there is two completely different opinions. :D

I'm with Shrader here. I don't think Kaleta brought much to the table for most of this year. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I am not seeing his play affecting the team energy-wise like it used to. He seems to have lost some of his affectiveness as well. Other than PK, where he does a nice job, I don't see his absence as being terribly noteworthy right now.

The timing was a bit strange. I made a comment mid-game to my brother that I really haven't liked the way he's been playing lately and if someone has to come out should everyone return healthy, I'd consider benching him.

I said the exact same thing. I really did.

Hate to see this happen to Pat. He has the heart of a warrior, even if he lacks some skills. A guy like him makes things happen from sheer will.

PTR

+1 -- I think this is where we will miss Kaleta. He'll never be a skill guy, and yeah sometimes he does a dumb thing by taking himself out of the play to make a hit. But when the rest of the team sees him put his body on the line to block a shot, even when he's already playing injured, that's setting a huge example. After McKee and Loods left, we really don't have a guy who makes it a point to block shots on a regular basis and I love that Patty doesn't think twice about sacrificing himself to do it when necessary.

Hate to see this happen to Pat. He has the heart of a warrior, even if he lacks some skills. A guy like him makes things happen from sheer will.

PTR

Curse of the local boy playing in his hometown - like Baby Joe Mesi?

Well, there is two completely different opinions. :D

I'm with Shrader here. I don't think Kaleta brought much to the table for most of this year. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I am not seeing his play affecting the team energy-wise like it used to. He seems to have lost some of his affectiveness as well. Other than PK, where he does a nice job, I don't see his absence as being terribly noteworthy right now.

It's not so much about the energy he brings. The last couple games he's been making some really bad plays around the puck. Something wasn't looking right there. McCormack seems to have caught that bug in the last two games too.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/03/sabres-practice-at-home-minus-significant-pieces.html

Kaleta, knee: "The update is a severe bone bruise," Ruff said. "He’s got his leg immobilized now for a short period of time, so he’s going to be out at least another week and probably longer."

According to this, Goose and Butler are both injured, too - don't remember hearing about that last night.

Archived