What happened to Jerry Sullivan?

PASabreFan

You two realize that it was only 18 months ago when he was berating the same posters here for not loving Regier and his steady hand...

The real question to ask Sybil here is was he full of ###### then or full of ###### now?

Or, the third question I'd be asking, is this actually Jerry Sullivan under the psuedo name DeLuca? :oops:

That is all well and good. Until changes start to happen than nothing has changed. There is no difference between fan excitement now and fan excitement over the past two ownership changes. Until I see some accountability and Status Quo is removed I am not going to get overexcited. Until Pegula proves otherwise he is just another guy with a big bank account.

Pretty sad, dude. If, as a fan, you can't see what has just happened and feel remotely excited and optimistic...well, you're just a pretty miserable cus.

You two realize that it was only 18 months ago when he was berating the same posters here for not loving Regier and his steady hand...

The real question to ask Sybil here is was he full of ###### then or full of ###### now?

Actually it was much longer ago, and their is nothing wrong with giving credit when it is do. They did a nice job coming out of the lockout and I acknowledged that. Since that point Status Quo has been completely ineffective. If basing opinions on what is actually happened and is what is currently happening makes me full of ###### then my eyes should be turning brown soon. Anyway, this board already has it's full of posters that base their opinions on myths and dreams. What fun would it be if I just joined the circle jerk?

Changes have already 'started' to happen. I've given a very brief accounting of why there is a difference between this ownership change and the last 2. Will it pan out and will we get to see the Stanley Cup hoisted by the good guys in the Mmarena? No clue. But the odds of it happening just got a hell of a lot better.

No one is suggesting you should get 'overexcited.' But taking no pleasure from this at all is just sad.

It's not just the final destination, the journey should count for something as well. I feel like I just got a bump up from coach. Pity that you aren't happy that you've just moved up to 1st class, but rather seem to be pissed that you really wanted the 1st aisle seat on the right and were given the 2nd window on the left. Me, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy watching the hot stewardess (are we allowed to use that term anymore?) lean over the seat next to mine to give me my next ice pick.

My pleasure will come when significant changes are made. To use your analogy, I won't get excited by sitting in a seat waiting for the plane to take off. At this point they don't even have the baggage loaded yet. Once the plane gets moving and starts to lift off of the ground is when my heart rate will go up. During the flight I will give Terry Pegula all credit due. I'm not going to pronounce him King and Savior simply for writing a check.

my apologies for not reviewing the thread in order to understand why/how it wound up where it is right now.

to the original point -- sullivan -- i was reflecting on how since sully dropped an f-bomb on millsie, our silver medalist has a save percentage of .953.

i also just saw that toni lydman is leading the league in +/-. i know it's not the end-all and be-all of stats, but, i hafta say, i miss loods.

May I interject? Kim was 23 when she married Terry, who was 41. Not bad!

may i follow up on that interjection? i've had many, many man-crushes associated with the sabres over the years (still even have a couple ([*sniff*] ... you're my hero.)) -- but it's something of a revelation to have a crush on the owner's hockey-loving wife. i'll say it again: she's a dish. (and she's just a year older than me, to boot.)

My pleasure will come when significant changes are made. To use your analogy, I won't get excited by sitting in a seat waiting for the plane to take off. At this point they don't even have the baggage loaded yet. Once the plane gets moving and starts to lift off of the ground is when my heart rate will go up. During the flight I will give Terry Pegula all credit due. I'm not going to pronounce him King and Savior simply for writing a check.

OK, Eeyore. Have it your way. Assume that yours will be the luggage removed from the plane, or that there must be mechanical issues that will make all deplane and reboard a puddle jumper. 'Not even sure why I'm going; it'll probably just rain all week anyhow.'

He's already done things differently than the way the last 2 owners did things and he's only had the toy for 2 days. He actually brought hockey people in with him. John brought Timmy; Tom brought Larry (but at least he didn't bring Curley & Moe, though either of the 2 might have been an upgrade), neither of which were known for their NHL roots (yeah, Larry had run the team before; but you know what I mean). Did TP choose the RIGHT hockey people? Time will tell, but the odds that he did are a hell of a lot better going in than the odds were for the last 2 regimes. The 1st thing the Knoxes did was bring in Punch. TP's move is a lot closer to that than bringing in Timmy Rigas was.

If he doesn't follow through on the things he's said he's going to do, then give him hell. But for now, the guy has EARNED the benefit of the doubt.

That you can't see a reason for optimism is truly sad. And that's coming from someone that's on record as saying I don't expect that they'll win it all on his 3 year timeline. (I sure hope I'm wrong about that one.) I do however see them as LEGIT contenders w/in 3 years.

my apologies for not reviewing the thread in order to understand why/how it wound up where it is right now.

to the original point -- sullivan -- i was reflecting on how since sully dropped an f-bomb on millsie, our silver medalist has a save percentage of .953. ...

Jerry Sullivan: master sports psychologist.

GO SABRES!!!

OK, Eeyore. Have it your way. Assume that yours will be the luggage removed from the plane, or that there must be mechanical issues that will make all deplane and reboard a puddle jumper. 'Not even sure why I'm going; it'll probably just rain all week anyhow.'

He's already done things differently than the way the last 2 owners did things and he's only had the toy for 2 days. He actually brought hockey people in with him. John brought Timmy; Tom brought Larry (but at least he didn't bring Curley & Moe, though either of the 2 might have been an upgrade), neither of which were known for their NHL roots (yeah, Larry had run the team before; but you know what I mean). Did TP choose the RIGHT hockey people? Time will tell, but the odds that he did are a hell of a lot better going in than the odds were for the last 2 regimes. The 1st thing the Knoxes did was bring in Punch. TP's move is a lot closer to that than bringing in Timmy Rigas was.

If he doesn't follow through on the things he's said he's going to do, then give him hell. But for now, the guy has EARNED the benefit of the doubt.

That you can't see a reason for optimism is truly sad. And that's coming from someone that's on record as saying I don't expect that they'll win it all on his 3 year timeline. (I sure hope I'm wrong about that one.) I do however see them as LEGIT contenders w/in 3 years.

There is nothing "sad" about wanting to see the changes before getting excited about them. Fans are going off the deep end and nothing has happened. If the Sabres can get something done between now and Monday I will give them full marks. I'm not talking a blockbuster deal. Just some movement showing they have gotten off the ground running. This is Terry Pegula's first trade deadline. It is the first chance to show a little something.

Rivet being waived is a good first impression. Seeing Connolly, Grier possibly Hecht gone as of Monday would be huge steps. I love that Vanek was given Hecht's 'A'. I hope that is the first step towards Vanek getting the 'C'. Pegula, Black and Sawyer have 4 1/2 days to get some things done. It's not a lot time, but I have gotten the impression that the new group you identified is not interested in wasting time.

To play Devil's advocate, in this case actually advocating for the Devil... LQ's experience was getting an arena built and serving as team president for a while. How much better is Ted Black's resume? He's a lawyer, worked on the business side with the Pens, ran a sports network. How is he a hockey guy?

Sawyer was chief financial officer with the Pens (same job with the league for many years), then eventually CEO. A big part of his job was getting the new arena built. How is he a hockey guy?

Then there's DiPofi.

Darcy's still the top hockey guy in this organization, and that's a little scary. There's still an emphasis on running the Sabres as a business, no matter what Pegula says, and I have to wonder what will be the impetus to fire Regier or Ruff if fan support remains as high as it's been. And, on a side note, it seems like a matter of formality, but was Regier consulted about whether he wanted Ruff back as coach? Was it really Pegula's role to announce it?

Even the Sabres' press release talks about Black and Sawyer with this transition: "On the business side of the organization..."

To play Devil's advocate, in this case actually advocating for the Devil... LQ's experience was getting an arena built and serving as team president for a while. How much better is Ted Black's resume? He's a lawyer, worked on the business side with the Pens, ran a sports network. How is he a hockey guy?

Sawyer was chief financial officer with the Pens (same job with the league for many years), then eventually CEO. A big part of his job was getting the new arena built. How is he a hockey guy?

Then there's DiPofi.

Darcy's still the top hockey guy in this organization, and that's a little scary. There's still an emphasis on running the Sabres as a business, no matter what Pegula says, and I have to wonder what will be the impetus to fire Regier or Ruff if fan support remains as high as it's been. And, on a side note, it seems like a matter of formality, but was Regier consulted about whether he wanted Ruff back as coach? Was it really Pegula's role to announce it?

Even the Sabres' press release talks about Black and Sawyer with this transition: "On the business side of the organization..."

Ted Black has taken some digs at the previous guys. I like it. Sure, he's another lawyer and uses too much hair product.....but he's been upfront about a few things that would make $$ for the team. I like that he is willing to share those ideas in public instead of the boardroom. It sounds like the master plan is, treat the fans like grownups.....be upfront.....give an honest effort....and the fans will reward the team with support and $$. That will go a long way with me.

Now can Regier identify the types of players needed to accomplish this? I doubt it on a regular and timely basis. Does Sawyer/Black get Lindy to stop using Miller 70+ games a year? Doubt it. Those are 2 bridges on major routes that have been bombed.

Ted Black has taken some digs at the previous guys. I like it. Sure, he's another lawyer and uses too much hair product.....but he's been upfront about a few things that would make $$ for the team. I like that he is willing to share those ideas in public instead of the boardroom. It sounds like the master plan is, treat the fans like grownups.....be upfront.....give an honest effort....and the fans will reward the team with support and $$. That will go a long way with me.

Now can Regier identify the types of players needed to accomplish this? I doubt it on a regular and timely basis. Does Sawyer/Black get Lindy to stop using Miller 70+ games a year? Doubt it. Those are 2 bridges on major routes that have been bombed.

Sounds like the approach the owner of the Capitals has taken. Taking care of the fans and establishing the franchise as a player destination is hugely import. I agree with a lot they have had to say this week. It is very important that the Sabres as a business remain stable and profitable. The talk about Pegula's deep pockets is going to happen. For the long term sake of the franchise he needs to remember it is a business that needs to be strong enough to stand on it's own. If not? We could up right back where we were when the Rigas fiasco hit.

Then there's DiPofi.

I would have preferred Craig Patrick coming over (with Jimmy Develano (sp?) as my very 1st choice, but that ain't happening), but with all the time Sawyer spent in the bowels of the league itself I'd expect the Sabres to be announcing some 'consultants' being a part of the whole structure before too long.

I also expect some missteps along the way. But, when your business plan is based upon doing things the right way, the missteps shouldn't be as serious as what happened w/ Peca & Drury. Do we know for certain that he plans on 'doing things the right way?' No. But based on his business success (and even if Energy East goes tits up tomorrow, he's got the cash in pocket today) and the way he set out to give Penn State the tools to build a winner, I am confident that he will.

I don't have a problem with running the or-gan-I-za-tion as a business. (Honestly i prefer it to running it the way Dan Snyder runs his Skins.) I had an issue with running it with an emphasis on short term goals. Building the Sabres into the Wings will be a heck of a lot more profitable than making sure there is no red ink in any given year. I want to see this team still in Buffalo and competitive when I have grandkids old enough to go to the games; and I'd like it to last that way beyond. Having owners that want to win and build to that goal 'responsibly' are the best shot of that happening IMHO.

If you can't have fun on a day like today, how much fun can you ever have following this?

Nothing to be excited about? Holy Smokes. A win, new owner, the French connection. There is some energy going on here.

I was choked up. I felt like a little kid today and yesterday. It felt good.

Nothing to be excited about? Geeez why the heck not. Fun is fun.

Joy. Try it.

Changes have already 'started' to happen. I've given a very brief accounting of why there is a difference between this ownership change and the last 2. Will it pan out and will we get to see the Stanley Cup hoisted by the good guys in the Mmarena? No clue. But the odds of it happening just got a hell of a lot better.

No one is suggesting you should get 'overexcited.' But taking no pleasure from this at all is just sad.

It's not just the final destination, the journey should count for something as well. I feel like I just got a bump up from coach. Pity that you aren't happy that you've just moved up to 1st class, but rather seem to be pissed that you really wanted the 1st aisle seat on the right and were given the 2nd window on the left. Me, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy watching the hot stewardess (are we allowed to use that term anymore?) lean over the seat next to mine to give me my next ice pick.

:lol:

I guess he missed Ted Black. I could hug the guy. I've spent more time in the 300's in the past years than I have with my own family.

Ted Black. Ted Black.

He wants to have players hand deliver season tickets.

Ted Black.

I going to stop before I sound, well you know.... :wub:

A - fracking - men.

Specific changes have already happened. I am highly confident that more will follow, both on and off the ice. I am also highly confident that said changes will be well-thought-out and part of a plan -- not ill-conceived and done on a shoestring.

As for Teddy -- every time I hear the "clarion call" quote I get happy.

Then there's DiPofi.

Sawyer's got 25-30 years of experience with the Penguins and the NHL. I realize he wasn't a GM, but why do you NOT think he's a hockey guy?

I would have preferred Craig Patrick coming over (with Jimmy Develano (sp?) as my very 1st choice, but that ain't happening), but with all the time Sawyer spent in the bowels of the league itself I'd expect the Sabres to be announcing some 'consultants' being a part of the whole structure before too long.

I also expect some missteps along the way. But, when your business plan is based upon doing things the right way, the missteps shouldn't be as serious as what happened w/ Peca & Drury. Do we know for certain that he plans on 'doing things the right way?' No. But based on his business success (and even if Energy East goes tits up tomorrow, he's got the cash in pocket today) and the way he set out to give Penn State the tools to build a winner, I am confident that he will.

I don't have a problem with running the or-gan-I-za-tion as a business. (Honestly i prefer it to running it the way Dan Snyder runs his Skins.) I had an issue with running it with an emphasis on short term goals. Building the Sabres into the Wings will be a heck of a lot more profitable than making sure there is no red ink in any given year. I want to see this team still in Buffalo and competitive when I have grandkids old enough to go to the games; and I'd like it to last that way beyond. Having owners that want to win and build to that goal 'responsibly' are the best shot of that happening IMHO.

Good post. I especially agree that if Sawyer himself isn't a hockey guy, he'll bring a consultant or 2 on board to work with DR.

Actually it was much longer ago, and their is nothing wrong with giving credit when it is do. They did a nice job coming out of the lockout and I acknowledged that. Since that point Status Quo has been completely ineffective. If basing opinions on what is actually happened and is what is currently happening makes me full of ###### then my eyes should be turning brown soon. Anyway, this board already has it's full of posters that base their opinions on myths and dreams. What fun would it be if I just joined the circle jerk?

If that isn't loaded I don't know what is? :thumbdown:

Whether or not fans "buy in" is at the heart of this stuff.

Pegula and Black are very savy. They are asking for "buy in" from fans, alumni, players and coaches.

But ignoring facts like the team president HAS changed, The owner HAS changed, down to details like the new carpet in the dressing room with the Sabres Logo HAS been ordered, that Pegula accidently let slip to Sylvester and Robbie..*.(in what he thought was off air).."We have to get you boys new technology here" is a first step towards creating a culture to "buy into."

Call it what you will...but ignoring those things is as blind as the blindness you are accusing others of(Not to mention extremely loaded, offensive, and generally not fun). There is plenty to be excited about.

Because many are "buying in" to these very earliest attempts doesn't include them in circle jerk any more than a predisposition for scepticism, or a lasting mindset of disattisfaction makes one intelligent.

This time should be fun dammit. Whether you buy in is completely up to you, but please reconsider any broadsides against those that do. Please give it some thought. ;)

Sawyer's got 25-30 years of experience with the Penguins and the NHL. I realize he wasn't a GM, but why do you NOT think he's a hockey guy?

Define "hockey guy." If Black's one, so is Larry Quinn. A lot of people here -- not to mention Rene Robert -- would dispute that.

The Knoxes hired real hockey guys like Punch Imlach, Scotty Bowman and John Muckler.

In the end, the problem is that Darcy is our hockey guy, and he's no Son of Punch.

If you had bought the Sabres, n, wouldn't you have conducted an international search for the best hockey man (or woman) to head up hockey operations?

Not only don't we have a top hockey guy, IMHO, I don't think much of a search went on at all. I think Patrick said no, recommended Ken, and Ken had hired Ted.

It might all work out. I'm really not saying anything people won't be saying in 12-24 months if things don't work.

Define "hockey guy." If Black's one, so is Larry Quinn. A lot of people here -- not to mention Rene Robert -- would dispute that.

The Knoxes hired real hockey guys like Punch Imlach, Scotty Bowman and John Muckler.

In the end, the problem is that Darcy is our hockey guy, and he's no Son of Punch.

If you had bought the Sabres, n, wouldn't you have conducted an international search for the best hockey man (or woman) to head up hockey operations?

Not only don't we have a top hockey guy, IMHO, I don't think much of a search went on at all. I think Patrick said no, recommended Ken, and Ken had hired Ted.

It might all work out. I'm really not saying anything people won't be saying in 12-24 months if things don't work.

I don't think Black belongs in this discussion. I think he's the new head business guy -- ie LQ without the BS, the meddling in hockey decisions and the off-putting nature.

I think Sawyer is either the elder hockey consultant -- i.e. like Scotty Bowman now is in Chicago -- or will bring in someone like that to act as one.

As for the Knoxes, they certainly hired strong hockey guys as GMs (although Scotty's tenure as GM here was greatly disappointing). I would point out though that the "hockey guy" role we're talking about here is a new role that didn't exist during the Knox era -- i.e. the guru/consultant who advises both the GM and the owner.

If I had bought the Sabres, I would spoken with a lot of hockey guys about DR, which TP did, and would've spoken with LQ and TG to determine the constraints under which DR operated, which TP apparently did, and if I had decided to keep him on (which I probably would have), I would have brought in a senior hockey guy to monitor the team and give me a 2nd opinion about how DR was doing -- which I think is what Sawyer is going to do.

I don't think Black belongs in this discussion. I think he's the new head business guy -- ie LQ without the BS, the meddling in hockey decisions and the off-putting nature.

I think Sawyer is either the elder hockey consultant -- i.e. like Scotty Bowman now is in Chicago -- or will bring in someone like that to act as one.

As for the Knoxes, they certainly hired strong hockey guys as GMs (although Scotty's tenure as GM here was greatly disappointing). I would point out though that the "hockey guy" role we're talking about here is a new role that didn't exist during the Knox era -- i.e. the guru/consultant who advises both the GM and the owner.

If I had bought the Sabres, I would spoken with a lot of hockey guys about DR, which TP did, and would've spoken with LQ and TG to determine the constraints under which DR operated, which TP apparently did, and if I had decided to keep him on (which I probably would have), I would have brought in a senior hockey guy to monitor the team and give me a 2nd opinion about how DR was doing -- which I think is what Sawyer is going to do.

Same question... it is most certainly NOT repetitive, your honor...

Now, where was I?

Same question... if Sawyer is a hockey guy, how is Larry not? Maybe I'm missing something in Sawyer's background. To me, a hockey guy is someone who takes a player/scout/ or front office management (hockey side) track to eventually head up a hockey department. A president should be a GM emeritus.

Even the Sabres acknowledge Black and Sawyer are working on the business side.

I take it right now that almost no one can answer the question -- who's in charge of the hockey department?

Same question... it is most certainly NOT repetitive, your honor...

Now, where was I?

Same question... if Sawyer is a hockey guy, how is Larry not? Maybe I'm missing something in Sawyer's background. To me, a hockey guy is someone who takes a player/scout/ or front office management (hockey side) track to eventually head up a hockey department. A president should be a GM emeritus.

Even the Sabres acknowledge Black and Sawyer are working on the business side.

I take it right now that almost no one can answer the question -- who's in charge of the hockey department?

I guess I think Sawyer's a hockey guy because he worked for the NHL itself for an extended period of time.

To be clear, it's quite possible that Sawyer has zero coaching or player evaluation experience, in which case I'd agree with you that a real "hockey guy" is still needed as a consultant.

I guess I think Sawyer's a hockey guy because he worked for the NHL itself for an extended period of time.

To be clear, it's quite possible that Sawyer has zero coaching or player evaluation experience, in which case I'd agree with you that a real "hockey guy" is still needed as a consultant.

I rest my case.

:nana:

It's hard to kick a puppy when getting you ballz washed by so many people.

There hasn't been this much excitement around since the last ownership change. Or, let's not forget the excitement when the Rigas Mob took over.

So far all that is changed is that there is a possibility that Pegula is willing to throw money around to cover the mistakes of Status Quo. You can give Regier a $100 million a year and he will still f**k it up.

I also thought it was hilarious that he wants to bring in coaches to develop the players? It's that Lindy Ruff's job? Is Pegula also going to keep Regier and bring in roster development coaches. One to coach trades and one to coach free agent signings.

For the record, my opinion was posted well before the Buffalo News interview became available. ;)

Archived