What happened to Jerry Sullivan?

PASabreFan

For the record, my opinion was posted well before the Buffalo News interview became available. ;)

Just listened to it. Wow. Double wow.

Guess the charm campaign came to a screeching halt for the ink-stained wretches.

Ghost, he not only said "hate," but "sucked" and "pissed." The real TP emerges!

But, seriously, the "quit" in the Sabres team has been coming from the Buffalo News?!

Guess the charm campaign came to a screeching halt for the ink-stained wretches.

But, seriously, the "quit" in the Sabres team has been coming from the Buffalo News?!

:thumbsup:

Mommie Dearest!

Actually it was much longer ago, and their is nothing wrong with giving credit when it is do. They did a nice job coming out of the lockout and I acknowledged that. Since that point Status Quo has been completely ineffective. If basing opinions on what is actually happened and is what is currently happening makes me full of ###### then my eyes should be turning brown soon. Anyway, this board already has it's full of posters that base their opinions on myths and dreams. What fun would it be if I just joined the circle jerk?

Out of the lockout you were just as now, continually bitching about how they were so much worse off because they did not keep satan and zhitnik, who was going to make up those goals you asked, you clamored for a new GM then too. You arrived late to the party in your rare, disingenuous show of support for the team.

Same question... it is most certainly NOT repetitive, your honor...

Now, where was I?

Same question... if Sawyer is a hockey guy, how is Larry not? Maybe I'm missing something in Sawyer's background. To me, a hockey guy is someone who takes a player/scout/ or front office management (hockey side) track to eventually head up a hockey department. A president should be a GM emeritus.

Even the Sabres acknowledge Black and Sawyer are working on the business side.

I take it right now that almost no one can answer the question -- who's in charge of the hockey department?

Easy, It's Regier, like it or not. What I hope he does is revive teh scouting department. It was one of the best with Don Luce running it.

Out of the lockout you were just as now, continually bitching about how they were so much worse off because they did not keep satan and zhitnik, who was going to make up those goals you asked, you clamored for a new GM then too. You arrived late to the party in your rare, disingenuous show of support for the team.

When the goals where made-up and some moves that were made paid off I gave them all the credit in the world. The horror, someone posting and offering opinions based on the facts as they were at that time? Let's take it a step further. I defended Regier when Drury and Briere left. Why? Because at the time I felt it was the right thing to do.

Let me preface this by saying I am still excited for the future and optimistic in general that things will change for the better, and fast ... BUT ...

The whole thing was uncomfortable to listen to and frankly I was embarassed for the guy. I am NOT trying to be a buzzkill, he can still be a good owner, but I wish I had not listened to it. We can only hope he truly does LISTEN to the people who have actual experience in the business and lets them do their jobs ... for him to truly think that the media saying the team is playing bad is the same thing as him berating his daughter after tennis practice is just naive and borderline ignorant. (And he said it twice, once at the arena PC and then again at TBN, so it wasn't a nervous bad choice of words.) As someone on the News side pointed out, they are not the players' parents and the players are not 16 years old. I know a lot of people think it is quaint or whatever the way he is just a regular guy and says he doesn't use computers, etc., but you have to have a grasp of the environment in which you are running your business. You own a professional hockey team now, and technology is such that many, many people have access and a platform to express their opinions and hold your team accountable. If he can't even grasp the role of the traditional media (in a one-newspaper town where it is not that harsh), how is he going to deal with it as New Media continues to grow?

In his chat yesterday, Bucky basically said "it was his first day, cut him some slack, he will learn." But I can't un-hear it. I was sitting at the computer yelling "STOP! PLEASE JUST STOP TALKING!" If he truly believes that players will play better if everyone pats them on the back and tells them how great they are, AND that is it part of the deal for fans and the media to always do that ... he is not going to enjoy owning the team very much.

If he truly believes that players will play better if everyone pats them on the back and tells them how great they are, AND that is it part of the deal for fans and the media to always do that ... he is not going to enjoy owning the team very much.

That's the crux of it for me and why I reacted so badly. He just doesn't seem at first blush as someone who's going to be able to tough it out. He made no commitment when asked at the presser about owning the team for the rest of his life.

The fan question is interesting. When the fans boo, it has to have a greater effect on the team than anything in the media. Is Terry going to come out and criticize the fans for booing, ask them not to, have fans tossed out who boo. I mean, where does this kind of thinking end?

Lindy, by the way, historically, has ripped his team as much as the media. I wonder if Terry doesn't know yet that Lindy isn't all sunshine and buttercups.

That's the crux of it for me and why I reacted so badly. He just doesn't seem at first blush as someone who's going to be able to tough it out. He made no commitment when asked at the presser about owning the team for the rest of his life.

The fan question is interesting. When the fans boo, it has to have a greater effect on the team than anything in the media. Is Terry going to come out and criticize the fans for booing, ask them not to, have fans tossed out who boo. I mean, where does this kind of thinking end?

Lindy, by the way, historically, has ripped his team as much as the media. I wonder if Terry doesn't know yet that Lindy isn't all sunshine and buttercups.

Yup, yup and YUP!

Except I think he will stick it out a good while, if for no other reason than because he would have a hard time finding anyone willing to buy the team and keep it in Buffalo. I just suspect he will not be talking to the media very much ... and that's fine. You pay people to run the team and that is part of it.

The guy has a wife. ;)

See, that's how I took his answer to Scott Brown's question of owning the team for the rest of his life. "The answer might be sitting in front of you." In other words, as long as the Mrs. wants to own it.

But Scott took it as referring to the kids one day owning the team.

A fellow poster PMed with some interesting information (true or not, I don't know) about what Kim told the team in Florida. She was joking that Terry bought the team for her and it was going to be "her show."

Yup, yup and YUP!

Except I think he will stick it out a good while, if for no other reason than because he would have a hard time finding anyone willing to buy the team and keep it in Buffalo. I just suspect he will not be talking to the media very much ... and that's fine. You pay people to run the team and that is part of it.

Random thought: is there any owner in sports who talks to the media regularly and generally has a universal positive image? It seems like almost any owner who speaks out winds up shouldering most of the criticism.

Random thought: is there any owner in sports who talks to the media regularly and generally has a universal positive image? It seems like almost any owner who speaks out winds up shouldering most of the criticism.

It's a good point ... which kind of reinforces the fact that these 99 percent of these guys made their money doing other things, are not truly qualified to RUN the team, but are asked questions as if they are. So when they speak out on their own (Ralph Wilson, Hal Steinbrenner, Dan Snyder, etc) they say crazy things, and if are put on the spot and just try to answer instead if deferring to their "hockey people" (or football or whatever), they sound foolish.

It's a tough thing ... would we view TG differently if he answered all Sully's phone calls and just said "Hey that's up to LQ, I am not a hockey guy"? Ultimately, the buck stops with the owner ... and for better or worse people will want to know what he thinks. But i think the best policy for most of them would be to shut up and "no comment" everythnig and let the guys they are paying to run the team take the heat.

I hope Pegula keeps his mojo and talks to these guys like he says. One of the biggest reasons I pulled my support for the team was the obvious dodging by Golisano and Quinn. When you are up to no good, you try and hide.

I respect what Pegula has done so far and that is all I asked. Hopefully either Darcy pulls a miracle and makes me eat my words, or in 2 years when Pegula is bringing in new blood he shrugs it off to a learning experience and he will be forgiven.

I hope Pegula keeps his mojo and talks to these guys like he says. One of the biggest reasons I pulled my support for the team was the obvious dodging by Golisano and Quinn. When you are up to no good, you try and hide.

I respect what Pegula has done so far and that is all I asked. Hopefully either Darcy pulls a miracle and makes me eat my words, or in 2 years when Pegula is bringing in new blood he shrugs it off to a learning experience and he will be forgiven.

I think there is a happy medium. You can make yourself available but not really say much.

I am sure I am not the only one who has thought of being in Pegula's position over the last few days, and I would like to think i would tell Sully "hey, I promise you I will answer every phone call and try my best to do every interview. I will be accessible I will not hide from you. But up front, i fell ass-backward into owning this team and have zero experience running it. So you might not like it when all my answers sound the same, because most of the time I am going tell you it is a question for the hockey people."

I think the media might not love it but I think they would respect it.

Did they ever saw whether Sawyer or Black will be living in Buffalo? I'd imagine Black will be. With Pegula living down in Florida, there are obviously going to be moments where he's not available. I'm guessing Sawyer/Black and Regier will be the ones you hear from more often (which will be something new from Darcy).

Did they ever saw whether Sawyer or Black will be living in Buffalo? I'd imagine Black will be. With Pegula living down in Florida, there are obviously going to be moments where he's not available. I'm guessing Sawyer/Black and Regier will be the ones you hear from more often (which will be something new from Darcy).

Black made it a point to say he was moving his family up right away ... Sawyer I would doubt it but who knows.

Black made it a point to say he was moving his family up right away ... Sawyer I would doubt it but who knows.

Yup, Senior advisor. Remember he retired from a lucrative position with the Pens after they won the cup got the new arena built and got on sound footing. If you read his retirement speech from the Pens it sounded like he was ready to kick back in Florida and enjoy the sunshine. I expect Pegs is paying him handsomly for a specific period of time in a consulting role where they both get together down in Fla and review and discuss the plan.

A fellow poster PMed with some interesting information (true or not, I don't know) about what Kim told the team in Florida. She was joking that Terry bought the team for her and it was going to be "her show."

In one of the many interviews - think it was the Schopp one - I recall hearing something along the lines that adding the new carpet with the logo was his wife's idea.

That's what I assumed, but I couldn't remember if it was actually stated or not.

In one of the many interviews - think it was the Schopp one - I recall hearing something along the lines that adding the new carpet with the logo was his wife's idea.

But a woman has no place in the lockerroom! :thumbsup:

The whole thing was uncomfortable to listen to and frankly I was embarassed for the guy.

PIPES!

you articulated my take precisely. it's been a while since i mind-melded with you.

When the fans boo, it has to have a greater effect on the team than anything in the media. Is Terry going to come out and criticize the fans for booing, ask them not to, have fans tossed out who boo. I mean, where does this kind of thinking end?

great point.

the more i think about it, the more i think that he's in an emotionally raw state right now -- the whole crying thing on seeing gilbert at the presser. his strangely paternalistic feelings toward the current team are consistent with the utter joy that he feels at owning the team he cares so deeply about. with time, i think some of this will fade and, while he won't lose his fan status, he will be a bit more level-headed about matters.

but i do fully expect him to admonish the fans for booing in the future -- after all, winning is not a goal, but a belief.

The guy has a wife. ;)

cripes - the minute i stop thinking about the former kim kerr, someone brings up her name again.

Archived