What happened to Jerry Sullivan?

PASabreFan

Sullivan is a columnist and already had a column in yesterday's paper. No way they were taking space away from the

"reporters" after the big news day yesterday. You can count on the fact that Sully will have a reaction column to the first game of the Pegula era tonight in tomorrow morning's paper.

So... why would current NHL executives want to help Pegula by telling them the truth? For all I know, they lied to ensure that Regier would stick around for a few more years, making one less team they'd have to worry about.

Others have already answered this, but, I guess I'll just hope our new owner isn't that much of a rube.

He was born without talent. Then he grew up. Then he got a job as a sports columnist at The Buffalo News.

I think that's everything.

I wouldn't say he is without talent. He is a good writer (but so are people who write jingles for radio ads). It's just that what he has to say is little more than drivel. In many ways, he's little more than the drunk at the bar who can only contradict anything you say.

I'm offering a cash reward for an authenticated picture of Pegs kicking a puppy.

It's hard to kick a puppy when getting you ballz washed by so many people.

There hasn't been this much excitement around since the last ownership change. Or, let's not forget the excitement when the Rigas Mob took over.

So far all that is changed is that there is a possibility that Pegula is willing to throw money around to cover the mistakes of Status Quo. You can give Regier a $100 million a year and he will still f**k it up.

I also thought it was hilarious that he wants to bring in coaches to develop the players? It's that Lindy Ruff's job? Is Pegula also going to keep Regier and bring in roster development coaches. One to coach trades and one to coach free agent signings.

It's hard to kick a puppy when getting you ballz washed by so many people.

There hasn't been this much excitement around since the last ownership change. Or, let's not forget the excitement when the Rigas Mob took over.

So far all that is changed is that there is a possibility that Pegula is willing to throw money around to cover the mistakes of Status Quo. You can give Regier a $100 million a year and he will still f**k it up.

I also thought it was hilarious that he wants to bring in coaches to develop the players? It's that Lindy Ruff's job? Is Pegula also going to keep Regier and bring in roster development coaches. One to coach trades and one to coach free agent signings.

I'm excited. Why not enjoy this?

I've been here before.

It's great that Pegula is a big fan. It's great he cried when he saw Gilbert. It's not great that he acts like a giddy school girl when talking about Lindy Ruff. Was not one of the biggest complaints about Status Quo is how they were married to each other?

An owner being fan is great but it needs to have limits.

I've been here before.

It's great that Pegula is a big fan. It's great he cried when he saw Gilbert. It's not great that he acts like a giddy school girl when talking about Lindy Ruff. Was not one of the biggest complaints about Status Quo is how they were married to each other?

An owner being fan is great but it needs to have limits.

And so the campaign begins......sorry your honeymoon was short.

And so the campaign begins......sorry your honeymoon was short.

Until actual changes are made there is nothing to be excited about. I hope Byron Brown is holding off ordering a key to the city. So far the only thing Pegula has done is sign a check. Tom Golisano did that job well.

Funny! Considering that your avatar looks likes one of the previous white knights to come and save the Sabres and bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo.

2 BIG differences between current ownership and the past 2 owners.

1. This owner is a hockey fan and WANTED to own the Sabres.

Rigas bought into the Sabres to keep Empire as an asset for Adelphia. No Sabres to take up 80+ days of programming and all the other talk shows that they'd support from October - April/May/June and Empire isn't nearly as valuable as it was.

Golisano bought the team to keep it in WNY and to make a buck (or $100MM of them). He never had been a hockey fan prior to owning the team.

2. This owner isn't remotely constrained financially.

Based on some shady dealings (heck, our stock can never go down, so lets borrow a ton off the record to buy more stock and we'll all become kajillionaires) the criminals were extremely cash constrained. They had serious cash flow issues which eventually triggered their downfall. I'd contend that it went a long way towards them trying to lowball every single player (not named Hasek) that came up for a new contract.

TG had serious bucks, but set very constraining terms on how he'd operate. His philosophy pretty much directly lead to Drury backing out of the deal in October '06.

Will TP bring a SC to Buffalo? I don't know. Hopefully he does. While his goal is 3 years and that could be doable; past history indicates it will probably take longer than that. It took Illitch ~10 years to finally get it right; but he was starting from a FAR greater depth (the Wings were about 3 years away from improving to bad when he took them over) in an era when free agency more or less didn't exist. My gut feel is that it's probably 6 years out, but considering I've been waiting for 40 years; 6 more isn't much worse than a winter away.

I don't recall Rigas doing anything other than extending Dom when he took over (not even remotely implying that that was not significant in and of itself). TG and LQ did make some changes initially, but almost all of those (other than bringing in Drury) were aimed at improving the bottom line, many of them (improved video board, ribbon boards, sound system, video scouting, tiered ticket pricing, slug unis, etc.) were not necessarily aimed at improving the on-ice product.

Everything Pegula has talked about so far ALL effects the on-ice product. Better scouting finds better players. Better developmental coaching makes young players better. Better amenities for the players improves the desireability of playing in Buffalo, so theoretically, better players will WANT to be here and may even take a slight hit on salary to bring MORE top tier players onto the roster. Treating players better (letting Rivet out of the nightmare that this season had become for him probably counts for something in the dressing room, throwing a party to meet the players' (and staffs' (?)) families should count for something in the dressing room, likely better travel conditions, etc.) will also help make the Sabres a team that good players want to come to.

2 BIG differences between current ownership and the past 2 owners.

1. This owner is a hockey fan and WANTED to own the Sabres.

Rigas bought into the Sabres to keep Empire as an asset for Adelphia. No Sabres to take up 80+ days of programming and all the other talk shows that they'd support from October - April/May/June and Empire isn't nearly as valuable as it was.

Golisano bought the team to keep it in WNY and to make a buck (or $100MM of them). He never had been a hockey fan prior to owning the team.

2. This owner isn't remotely constrained financially.

Based on some shady dealings (heck, our stock can never go down, so lets borrow a ton off the record to buy more stock and we'll all become kajillionaires) the criminals were extremely cash constrained. They had serious cash flow issues which eventually triggered their downfall. I'd contend that it went a long way towards them trying to lowball every single player (not named Hasek) that came up for a new contract.

TG had serious bucks, but set very constraining terms on how he'd operate. His philosophy pretty much directly lead to Drury backing out of the deal in October '06.

Will TP bring a SC to Buffalo? I don't know. Hopefully he does. While his goal is 3 years and that could be doable; past history indicates it will probably take longer than that. It took Illitch ~10 years to finally get it right; but he was starting from a FAR greater depth (the Wings were about 3 years away from improving to bad when he took them over) in an era when free agency more or less didn't exist. My gut feel is that it's probably 6 years out, but considering I've been waiting for 40 years; 6 more isn't much worse than a winter away.

I don't recall Rigas doing anything other than extending Dom when he took over (not even remotely implying that that was not significant in and of itself). TG and LQ did make some changes initially, but almost all of those (other than bringing in Drury) were aimed at improving the bottom line, many of them (improved video board, ribbon boards, sound system, video scouting, tiered ticket pricing, slug unis, etc.) were not necessarily aimed at improving the on-ice product.

Everything Pegula has talked about so far ALL effects the on-ice product. Better scouting finds better players. Better developmental coaching makes young players better. Better amenities for the players improves the desireability of playing in Buffalo, so theoretically, better players will WANT to be here and may even take a slight hit on salary to bring MORE top tier players onto the roster. Treating players better (letting Rivet out of the nightmare that this season had become for him probably counts for something in the dressing room, throwing a party to meet the players' (and staffs' (?)) families should count for something in the dressing room, likely better travel conditions, etc.) will also help make the Sabres a team that good players want to come to.

That is all well and good. Until changes start to happen than nothing has changed. There is no difference between fan excitement now and fan excitement over the past two ownership changes. Until I see some accountability and Status Quo is removed I am not going to get overexcited. Until Pegula proves otherwise he is just another guy with a big bank account.

Old habits die hard? :unsure:

You two realize that it was only 18 months ago when he was berating the same posters here for not loving Regier and his steady hand...

The real question to ask Sybil here is was he full of ###### then or full of ###### now?

Until actual changes are made there is nothing to be excited about. I hope Byron Brown is holding off ordering a key to the city. So far the only thing Pegula has done is sign a check. Tom Golisano did that job well.

If you can't have fun on a day like today, how much fun can you ever have following this?

Nothing to be excited about? Holy Smokes. A win, new owner, the French connection. There is some energy going on here.

I was choked up. I felt like a little kid today and yesterday. It felt good.

Nothing to be excited about? Geeez why the heck not. Fun is fun.

Joy. Try it.

That is all well and good. Until changes start to happen than nothing has changed. There is no difference between fan excitement now and fan excitement over the past two ownership changes. Until I see some accountability and Status Quo is removed I am not going to get overexcited. Until Pegula proves otherwise he is just another guy with a big bank account.

Changes have already 'started' to happen. I've given a very brief accounting of why there is a difference between this ownership change and the last 2. Will it pan out and will we get to see the Stanley Cup hoisted by the good guys in the Mmarena? No clue. But the odds of it happening just got a hell of a lot better.

No one is suggesting you should get 'overexcited.' But taking no pleasure from this at all is just sad.

It's not just the final destination, the journey should count for something as well. I feel like I just got a bump up from coach. Pity that you aren't happy that you've just moved up to 1st class, but rather seem to be pissed that you really wanted the 1st aisle seat on the right and were given the 2nd window on the left. Me, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy watching the hot stewardess (are we allowed to use that term anymore?) lean over the seat next to mine to give me my next ice pick.

Changes have already 'started' to happen. I've given a very brief accounting of why there is a difference between this ownership change and the last 2. Will it pan out and will we get to see the Stanley Cup hoisted by the good guys in the Mmarena? No clue. But the odds of it happening just got a hell of a lot better.

No one is suggesting you should get 'overexcited.' But taking no pleasure from this at all is just sad.

It's not just the final destination, the journey should count for something as well. I feel like I just got a bump up from coach. Pity that you aren't happy that you've just moved up to 1st class, but rather seem to be pissed that you really wanted the 1st aisle seat on the right and were given the 2nd window on the left. Me, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy watching the hot stewardess (are we allowed to use that term anymore?) lean over the seat next to mine to give me my next ice pick.

:lol:

I guess he missed Ted Black. I could hug the guy. I've spent more time in the 300's in the past years than I have with my own family.

Ted Black. Ted Black.

He wants to have players hand deliver season tickets.

Ted Black.

I going to stop before I sound, well you know.... :wub:

If you can't have fun on a day like today, how much fun can you ever have following this?

Nothing to be excited about? Holy Smokes. A win, new owner, the French connection. There is some energy going on here.

I was choked up. I felt like a little kid today and yesterday. It felt good.

Nothing to be excited about? Geeez why the heck not. Fun is fun.

Joy. Try it.

This actually IS his idea of fun. As far as I can tell, DeLuca's posting MO is to identify whatever sentiment is most prevalent among the rest of the posters, and either post the opposite or just post something to rile people up.

And then we play along like "Really? How can you say that?" And then he posts the equivalent of "I guess I'm just different" like a cool teenager shrugging his shoulders.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Archived