What happened to Jerry Sullivan?

PASabreFan

He was at the presser, but didn't ask a question. He then said in his chat that he was holding his questions until a News editorial board meeting with 'Gul at 3.

"There was some strategic evasion. I'll go at him in the editorial board," said Jerry.

It doesn't sound like Jerry to not ask any questions.

And did something happen in the board meeting?

No column by Jerry today, which seems odd to me.

What a shame if the suits at the News muzzled Jerry because he wouldn't play along with Pegula love. Jerry has said recently he would be very disappointed if Regier was retained.

And Bucky -- he's been arguing for Regier's dismissal and a "fresh set of eyes" for months. In his column today, he tried the old bait and switch, saying that Black and Sawyer are actually the "fresh set of eyes" he was talking about.

How are Black and Sawyer not a fresh set of eyes? I have no problem seeing what Darcy can do with no financial restraints and those two overseeing him. I really don't understand what people wanted to see happen. Do people think it would be a wise thing to fire the GM a week before the trade deadline? I also wouldn't be surprised to see Darcy moved to head of scouting or something and a new GM hired this off-season.

It’s quite doubtful that Jerry was muzzled. More likely he didn’t have enough time to write a column after the meeting or he’s saving the material for later in the week. Editorial boards are usually cluster-fracks involving a number of reporters/editors at a publication. Topics can be targeted to a specific issue or a wide-ranging Q&A.

He said the meeting started at 3 p.m., but who knows how long it lasted. Maybe an hour, maybe two. If that’s the case, he wouldn’t have had time to craft his masterpiece.

Columnists tend to write about the news, rather than report the news. Their columns tend to run on specific days – and he’s already written two columns this week. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s writing something for Sunday’s newspaper. That tends to be the day of the week with the largest circulation, therefore the biggest audience.

It’s quite doubtful that Jerry was muzzled. More likely he didn’t have enough time to write a column after the meeting or he’s saving the material for later in the week. Editorial boards are usually cluster-fracks involving a number of reporters/editors at a publication. Topics can be targeted to a specific issue or a wide-ranging Q&A.

He said the meeting started at 3 p.m., but who knows how long it lasted. Maybe an hour, maybe two. If that’s the case, he wouldn’t have had time to craft his masterpiece.

Columnists tend to write about the news, rather than report the news. Their columns tend to run on specific days – and he’s already written two columns this week. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s writing something for Sunday’s newspaper. That tends to be the day of the week with the largest circulation, therefore the biggest audience.

Quite honestly, I could care less about where Sullivan is but I just have to add one thing to this post. Typically with an event like yesterday, a paper's schedule gets thrown out the window. If he had anything of value to add, it would have run yesterday.

Quite honestly, I could care less about where Sullivan is but I just have to add one thing to this post. Typically with an event like yesterday, a paper's schedule gets thrown out the window. If he had anything of value to add, it would have run yesterday.

To me, that's the eternal question when it comes to Sullivan. And, to me, the answer is always no. :rolleyes:

But yesterday's event was planned and the News had more than enough bodies covering it. Everyone knew when and where the press conference was going to be held. Consequently, every news organization that wanted to cover it was able to plan for it, staff it accordingly, and, in the case of newspapers, reserve as much space in the paper as they felt was needed.

This was not like covering a natural disaster: That's when the stuff hits the fan and schedules and assignments are turned upside down.

The "easy" angle prior to Pegula's announcement was to insist on a change at GM and/or HC. Plenty on this board were sure hoping for that as well.

What we've learned, folks, is that believe it or not, just because we watch the games and read the articles doesn't mean we know Jack Schitt about what's really happening behind the scenes.

How many of you have personally spoken with other NHL executives about Regier and Ruff? How many of you know exactly what financial restraints were placed upon the personnel people and scouting department?

Jerry Sullivan doesn't know much about hockey, but he was smart enough not make an ass of himself after a home run like yesterday's PC.

To me, that's the eternal question when it comes to Sullivan. And, to me, the answer is always no. :rolleyes:

But yesterday's event was planned and the News had more than enough bodies covering it. Everyone knew when and where the press conference was going to be held. Consequently, every news organization that wanted to cover it was able to plan for it, staff it accordingly, and, in the case of newspapers, reserve as much space in the paper as they felt was needed.

This was not like covering a natural disaster: That's when the stuff hits the fan and schedules and assignments are turned upside down.

Yeah, it was like covering a presidential inauguration. They brought out all of their most valuable pieces to cover it. Like you're suggesting, Sullivan's not one of them.

The "easy" angle prior to Pegula's announcement was to insist on a change at GM and/or HC. Plenty on this board were sure hoping for that as well.

What we've learned, folks, is that believe it or not, just because we watch the games and read the articles doesn't mean we know Jack Schitt about what's really happening behind the scenes.

How many of you have personally spoken with other NHL executives about Regier and Ruff? How many of you know exactly what financial restraints were placed upon the personnel people and scouting department?

Jerry Sullivan doesn't know much about hockey, but he was smart enough not make an ass of himself after a home run like yesterday's PC.

So... why would current NHL executives want to help Pegula by telling them the truth? For all I know, they lied to ensure that Regier would stick around for a few more years, making one less team they'd have to worry about.

So... why would current NHL executives want to help Pegula by telling them the truth? For all I know, they lied to ensure that Regier would stick around for a few more years, making one less team they'd have to worry about.

I'd like Regier gone as much as the next guy, but I do believe that Pegula said he also asked respected hockey men currently outside the game that had nothing to gain or lose by speaking their mind about Regier.

I'd like Regier gone as much as the next guy, but I do believe that Pegula said he also asked respected hockey men currently outside the game that had nothing to gain or lose by speaking their mind about Regier.

Sounded like BS to me. He didn't talk to anyone who said signing TC to that extension was a mistake.

Pegula has made a career of doing due diligence. The books, personnel, etc., he's has a bit of Warren Buffet when it comes to buying business. Word I've heard is that he's never been quick to change people with a takeover, his first option is always win them over.

Tom G.'s background was accounting. And that showed too.

Yeah, it was like covering a presidential inauguration. They brought out all of their most valuable pieces to cover it. Like you're suggesting, Sullivan's not one of them.

Personally, I think Sullivan is OK but I don't see where he brings that much to the table. But since I don't run the News my opinion means squat.

Looks like the News had Gleason, Vogl and Harrington covering the press conference. They covered the event and seemed to do a pretty thorough job. Sullivan's value -- as perceived by the braintrust at the News -- is in his analysis and thoughtful appraisal of sports news and not necessarily his ability to quickly turn a story around.

He sits back, thinks deep thoughts and then graces us with his pearls of wisdom.

News organizations also like to have "second day" stories -- and that's where a columnist like Sullivan comes into play. Having an "analysis" of what it all means to the reader means that the newspaper can stretch the story out another day.

When you look at it from the perspective of "Sullivan doesn't write the news, he writes "about" the news," it's very logical that he wouldn't have a column for a day or two.

Having said that, I can't wait for 7 p.m. so I can park my fat butt in the La-Z-Boy, pop open a beer or three and watch the Sabres.

Personally, I think Sullivan is OK but I don't see where he brings that much to the table. But since I don't run the News my opinion means squat.

Looks like the News had Gleason, Vogl and Harrington covering the press conference. They covered the event and seemed to do a pretty thorough job. Sullivan's value -- as perceived by the braintrust at the News -- is in his analysis and thoughtful appraisal of sports news and not necessarily his ability to quickly turn a story around.

He sits back, thinks deep thoughts and then graces us with his pearls of wisdom.

News organizations also like to have "second day" stories -- and that's where a columnist like Sullivan comes into play. Having an "analysis" of what it all means to the reader means that the newspaper can stretch the story out another day.

When you look at it from the perspective of "Sullivan doesn't write the news, he writes "about" the news," it's very logical that he wouldn't have a column for a day or two.

Having said that, I can't wait for 7 p.m. so I can park my fat butt in the La-Z-Boy, pop open a beer or three and watch the Sabres.

And having Sullivan and Gleason there is pretty much redundant, as they both write opinion pieces. Since Gleason is actually the hockey guy and Sullivan's the "a little bit of everything" guy, there wasn't going to be anything of value that he could add. He'll throw in a couple paragraphs later this week, but it won't be anything we haven't heard already.

Sounded like BS to me. He didn't talk to anyone who said signing TC to that extension was a mistake.

This is more like it. That Pegula buzz must have worn off because you're starting to sound like your old self again. B-)

At the risk of sounding like a SAT question, I wonder how truthful and above-board these hockey execs are when talking to each other.

I mean, it's possible they all said that Regier is smart, asks the right questions, has integrity, telephones his mother every Sunday, and is a man of his word -- while forgetting to add opinions like: but he can't evaluate talent to save his life.

I'd like to think that there is some basic code of honor among these guys. I'd like to see world peace, too, but ain't holding my breath.

sully is an ass. he appeals to the typical mass of people that are never satisfied and absolutely love to bitch about anything they can get their lips around

I can't decide if it's the smirk on his face, or the snotty tone of his complaining, but he reminds me of that jerky kid in 5th grade who'd blow the whistle on anyone reading Mad magazine in class.

Come on guys. It's more fun to believe on his first day in Buffalo, Pegs got on the blower and told The News to muzzle Jerry, or they could kiss their press passes goodbye. While putting out a cigarette on a kitten's face.

:clapping:

I hear that's exactly the story Sullivan is chasing down.

Come on guys. It's more fun to believe on his first day in Buffalo, Pegs got on the blower and told The News to muzzle Jerry, or they could kiss their press passes goodbye. While putting out a cigarette on a kitten's face.

I'm offering a cash reward for an authenticated picture of Pegs kicking a puppy.

Archived