Did you see this?

wjag

and agreed, these guys act like they are THE premiere team in the league and are almost always favored by the refs and the league, it was nice to see them get a taste of their own medicine and finally have somebody stand up to them. I think the isles had every right to stand up to them like they did especially after johnson put dipietro in on the ir. Just imagine if someone did that to miller?

:thumbsup:

also nice to see them take it all out of the isles, seeing as we will have to play them tommorow... (the more relevant outcome for sabres fans IMHO)

Yeah, I agree that the Pens play on the edge more than any team in the NHL and it was only a matter of time before a young team with nothing to lose (i.e. the Isles) went after them. I didn't like the cheap shot by Martin but otherwise found it entertaining... this is what makes hockey this time of year so fun!

BTW, it is hard to fault Godard for jumping off the bench... when one of the other team's enforcers is about to take on your goaltender with no refs in sight, a good case can be made for that being a very reasonable move.

I love a good fight, but I have to say that was some dirty pool by the Isles. Suckerpunches galore, going after the goalie, etc.

I can understand wanting to get back at Talbot, but there are better ways to address it. And if any of this stuff had anything to do with DiPietro, that's just plain wrong. Johnson broke his face fair and square, and even showed mercy.

and agreed, these guys act like they are THE premiere team in the league and are almost always favored by the refs and the league, it was nice to see them get a taste of their own medicine and finally have somebody stand up to them. I think the isles had every right to stand up to them like they did especially after johnson put dipietro in on the ir. Just imagine if someone did that to miller?

:thumbsup:

also nice to see them take it all out of the isles, seeing as we will have to play them tommorow... (the more relevant outcome for sabres fans IMHO)

I don't think the sabres have the players nor the cajones to do anything if someone did this to miller. Also, that Johnson punch to Dipietro happened in a fair fight between two willing participants. There was nothing wrong with that punch. Clean fight.

Yeah, I agree that the Pens play on the edge more than any team in the NHL and it was only a matter of time before a young team with nothing to lose (i.e. the Isles) went after them. I didn't like the cheap shot by Martin but otherwise found it entertaining... this is what makes hockey this time of year so fun!

BTW, it is hard to fault Godard for jumping off the bench... when one of the other team's enforcers is about to take on your goaltender with no refs in sight, a good case can be made for that being a very reasonable move.

no and i would expect no less if they did that to milsie or patty

The way it looked to me was the Isle's player was heading to the box and looked up and saw Johnson near the blueline. I doubt very much Johnson was standing there silently. When the skater looked toward Johnson, the goalie was clearly giving him the "let's go" wave. I doubt anything would have happened had Johnson stayed in his crease where he belongs. Johnson, imo, got what he wanted and in doing so put Goddard in a tough spot. Johnson could have handled himself all by his lonesome.

I'm betting the same people that have issue with this fight didn't have any issue with Peters pummeling Ray Emery after he'd already fought.

I love a good fight, but I have to say that was some dirty pool by the Isles. Suckerpunches galore, going after the goalie, etc.

I can understand wanting to get back at Talbot, but there are better ways to address it. And if any of this stuff had anything to do with DiPietro, that's just plain wrong. Johnson broke his face fair and square, and even showed mercy.

How?

Also, i don't think they were so angry at Johnson KO'ing DiPietro, but with them laughing at him. On their bench during the game AND after the game in interviews. They turned it into a joke.

(1) Agreed. The only reason anyone is comparing it to the Bertuzzi incident is because the whiny Pens announcer did so. All he did was haul him down.

(2) This was a cage match because the Isles were out for revenge from a few nights ago. If the league/refs had actually done something about the Talbot-Comeau hit, this may not have happened.

Once again the League drops the ball on nipping this stuff in the bud.

Gotta disagree with this, it was very similar to the Bertuzzi sucker punch but the Isle's player missed with the punch.

Exactly.

what Gilles and Martin did was reprehensible. If they pulled this crap in Buffalo on Kaleta, I'm sure RJ would have something similar to say. Watch out if the score gets out of control Sunday.

+1

I agree. The ramifications could have been very different had Talbot not seen it at the last second. The guy had his glove off as well, unlike Bertuzzi. Again, the Bertuzzi incident was the perfect storm. He was very unlucky that his punch knocked Moore out and the result we all know. Talbot was lucky. Anytime a guy come from behind to punch a guy, the suspension should be stiff because of what happened with Bertuzzi.

And yet it won't be. The League does not seem to care about the players or the image it projects.

Like the Bertuzzi-Moore thing - how many times does Talbot have to get his ass kicked before "payback" is achieved? In that clip I see him in at least three tussles, and every time he gets his ass kicked. When is it done? When every player gets a shot in? I just don't understand the protocol in these situations.

I agree. The ramifications could have been very different had Talbot not seen it at the last second. The guy had his glove off as well, unlike Bertuzzi. Again, the Bertuzzi incident was the perfect storm. He was very unlucky that his punch knocked Moore out and the result we all know. Talbot was lucky. Anytime a guy come from behind to punch a guy, the suspension should be stiff because of what happened with Bertuzzi.

As for the announcers, they were classless. They all end up being homers somewhere along the line, but the Pens' announcers were pathetic. You have to draw the line and call a spade a spade.

Rick, I normally agree with a lot of what you write, and I know you're a longtime Canucklehead (and understand the bias), but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point.

Bertuzzi didn't screw up Moore by punching him in the back of the head (although that didn't help matters); he messed him up by driving his head into the ice after the initial punch. For that the SOB should be in jail and out of the NHL. There was no way that was even close to a 'hockey related play.' That was assault, plain and simple.

(1) Agreed. The only reason anyone is comparing it to the Bertuzzi incident is because the whiny Pens announcer did so. All he did was haul him down.

Gotta disagree with this, it was very similar to the Bertuzzi sucker punch but the Isle's player missed with the punch.

I have to agree with the first statement. I laughed when the announcers said this. Actually I was thinking Martin was yapping in Talbot's ear before he swung at him. Besides, the punch itself was nothing like Bertuzzi's and I think Talbot knew it could come.

I also thought Johnson had it coming. After breaking DiPietro's face he tries to engage the Rookie? The Isles said "enough is enough".

I am no Pens fan, but the Isles call up a meathead for a game against a depleted Pens team and they have a player try and sucker Max Talbot (a quality, Stanley Cup winner)from behind ... I'd be a bit biased, too. The Isles are an embarrassment to the sport.

Pens announcers among the most biased I have heard. Talbot getting what he has coming and they talk about him like he's a lady bing candidate. Pens players clearly pushing Isles into their own goalie yet announcers are incredulous as to how their goalie keeps getting "run".

The reason Talbot was targeted 3 times is because he didn't stand his ground for any of them. He turtled and noone really got a shot on him so they tried several times. I know at least one poster here indicated that Talbot got beat on 3 times but I didn't see it that way. I saw them try 3 times but Talbot was real effective in curling up and preventing an incident ending shot form coming in. Not sayin' its right, just sayin' why.

And if the Pens took that much humor in a guy getting his face broke then they had a bad time coming IMO. As far as I am concerned laughing at a guys getting his face broke is asking for retribution. If the Pens stay classy alot of this doesn't happen. Again, not saying the response was right, but the Pens did kind of have some retribution coming back at them.

After Neil damned near took off Drury's head I was hoping for some retribution along the lines of what happened in that Isles-Pens game. I'm betting that alot of you all probably hoped for it too. The difference is, the Isles didn't have anything to loose so they went out and did what an awful lot of us wanted happen to Chris Neil.

To be honest, I can't really condemn what the Isles did out there. I was very interested in seeing the same sort of response handed out to Chris Neil so it would be hypocritical of me to lambast the Isles here. And I'm betting that the Isles skill players aren't targeted any time soon. Just like a couple games ago for Buffalo, Komisarek was making life miserable for the Munchkins until Cody McCormick got a piece of Komi. Komi was damned quiet the rest of the game. I'm thinking that the Pens (and the rest of the league) know that they aren't going to get away with any liberties taken on the Isles any time soon.

And as far as the fines and suapensions go, why no fine for Johnson for leaving the crease, skating all the way across the ice and breaking DiP's face? Are you serious? This is a joke I know the Isle's goon squad was gonna get skull****ed with fines but come on, really? Oh and I love the line from the colin cleanser "the islander's organization has to take responsibility for their player's actions"...ummm am I missing something here? I watched almost the whole game and the pens were just as culpable as the islanders. All the pens got was one player getting suspended for leaving the bench (which was a noble deed and hats off t him I may add). Bylsma didnt even get a slap on the wrist. No fines or other penalties levied on the pens @ all. I have a serious problem with that.

The reason Talbot was targeted 3 times is because he didn't stand his ground for any of them. He turtled and noone really got a shot on him so they tried several times. I know at least one poster here indicated that Talbot got beat on 3 times but I didn't see it that way. I saw them try 3 times but Talbot was real effective in curling up and preventing an incident ending shot form coming in. Not sayin' its right, just sayin' why.

But he didn't turtle three times. The first time he was jumped from the side by Martin. The second time - roll the posted clip to around 6:30, when Gillies steamrolls Tangradi and then jumps him - Talbot goes toe-to-toe with Haley, holds his own for a couple minutes before Haley takes him down, and then Haley goes down the ice to fight Johnson. The third time was with Konopka, when Talbot looked like he was going to reluctantly drop and his teammate (looked like Pual Martine) grabbed Konopka from behind, which caused both Konopka and Talbot to fall.

If the only time Talbot was targeted were the first and third incidents, I'd agree that he never answered the bell. But he definitely did fight toe-to-toe with Haley in the second.

And then Talbot said after the game, "I don't think I'm a guy that would stand down if someone comes to my face and asks me." http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353665 Pure BS. Turtled every time.

And then Talbot said after the game, "I don't think I'm a guy that would stand down if someone comes to my face and asks me." http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353665 Pure BS. Turtled every time.

No, he didn't. He fought Haley straight up in the second. The first time he was jumped from behind by Martin. Third time he tried to go with Konopka and his teammate grabbed Konopka and ended up pulling both down to the ice.

No, he didn't. He fought Haley straight up in the second. The first time he was jumped from behind by Martin. Third time he tried to go with Konopka and his teammate grabbed Konopka and ended up pulling both down to the ice.

You are correct. I missed that.

Lemieux pissed:

Mario speaks

So he was the first to speak when Talbot hit Comeau, right?

Archived