All-Star Game

fiftyone

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that wasn't a mistake. The disdain for all things Buffalo is apparent with some of the game day staff at the RBC as well.

I had this theory as well, although Carolina really has nothing to hold against Buffalo -- after all, they're the ones who lucked into walking away with our cup...

But that said, Evgeni Dadonov plays for Florida and also wears #63, so you can see how the mix up could be made, but Dadonov had already been introduced several names earlier. Regardless just another small way to make us Buffalo fans feel small.

I had this theory as well, although Carolina really has nothing to hold against Buffalo -- after all, they're the ones who lucked into walking away with our cup...

But that said, Evgeni Dadonov plays for Florida and also wears #63, so you can see how the mix up could be made, but Dadonov had already been introduced several names earlier. Regardless just another small way to make us Buffalo fans feel small.

The fact that this team really isn't good enough to have a representative at the game other than a raw rookie ( who may be one of our better players ) should make Sabres fans feel small enough as it is. It goes to show how badly this team has been mismanaged and just how badly salaries have been allocated in the salary cap era for this franchise. The selection process for the all star game is also flawed and has been for years.

Would Roy have made it had he been healthy?

Early in the season he had the numbers to justify it but he wasn't maintaining that pace. IMO by selection time he showed he didn't belong. Have the Sabres missed him on the ice?

Early in the season he had the numbers to justify it but he wasn't maintaining that pace. IMO by selection time he showed he didn't belong. Have the Sabres missed him on the ice?

Just the opposite. Not saying his production is not important. It has given the Sabres a chance to look at other players. IMO, that should be the focus for the rest of the season.

All-Star Game? Cold beer and some snacks. Enjoying a Sunday afternoon of the NHL Best.

Just the opposite. Not saying his production is not important. It has given the Sabres a chance to look at other players. IMO, that should be the focus for the rest of the season.

All-Star Game? Cold beer and some snacks. Enjoying a Sunday afternoon of the NHL Best.

That was my point. The team hasn't really missed him. Their W-L record shows it. If the team doesn't really notice he's gone you've either got a really deep team or the player wasn't contributing at a real valuable level. I don't think Buffalo has a deep team. And I don't think Roy was deserving of an all-star nod.

I agree 100% that the rest of the season should be used to evaluate players. I wouldn't mind a shuttle set up between Buffalo and Portland. Lets see what is in the system and where they are in their development.

That was my point. The team hasn't really missed him. Their W-L record shows it. If the team doesn't really notice he's gone you've either got a really deep team or the player wasn't contributing at a real valuable level. I don't think Buffalo has a deep team. And I don't think Roy was deserving of an all-star nod.

I agree 100% that the rest of the season should be used to evaluate players. I wouldn't mind a shuttle set up between Buffalo and Portland. Lets see what is in the system and where they are in their development.

I was agreeing.

What we have ahead of us should be a 32 game preseason for the 2011-20012 season. Time to stop playing around and get this team in the right direction. Build a Stanley Cup Champion and stop trying to catch lighting in a bottle.

I was agreeing.

What we have ahead of us should be a 32 game preseason for the 2011-20012 season. Time to stop playing around and get this team in the right direction. Build a Stanley Cup Champion and stop trying to catch lighting in a bottle.

LOL

I know. I was expanding on my point. :blush:

How did Patrick Sharp get the game MVP over Shea Weber?

Sharp gets 1g and 2a in the game and played well, don't get me wrong. Weber though, actually played some defense, got to give him credit for that. He was a plus 6 in the game and had 4 assists. Who cares if he didn't score? Dude kept feeding guys, didn't even take a shot in the game. IMO Weber was the best player on the ice tonight and it wasn't even close.

Sharp gets 1g and 2a in the game and played well, don't get me wrong. Weber though, actually played some defense, got to give him credit for that. He was a plus 6 in the game and had 4 assists. Who cares if he didn't score? Dude kept feeding guys, didn't even take a shot in the game. IMO Weber was the best player on the ice tonight and it wasn't even close.

Speaking of Shea Weber what did Darcy do with that 2nd round pick in 2003 when was Weber available.

Speaking of Shea Weber what did Darcy do with that 2nd round pick in 2003 when was Weber available.

The Sabres' second-round pick in 2003 was after Weber was selected.

EDIT: Teams who picked in the second round before Weber's selection, and whose picks turned up absolutely nothing of worth, are below--and this includes Nashville, who took Weber with its second second-round pick (their first came from Buffalo). I look forward to your snarky comments about their GMs, which surely are forthcoming, right?

33 Loui Eriksson (Left Wing) Sweden Dallas Stars

(from Columbus Blue Jackets) Frolunda HC (Sweden)

34 Mike Egener (Defence) Germany Tampa Bay Lightning

(from Florida Panthers) Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

35 Konstantin Glazachev (Left Wing) Russia Nashville Predators

(from Buffalo Sabres) Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (Russia)

36 Vojtech Polak (Right Wing) Czech Republic Dallas Stars

(from San Jose Sharks) Energie Karlovy Vary (Czech Republic)

37 Kevin Klein (Defence) Canada Nashville Predators Toronto St. Michael's Majors (OHL)

38 Kamil Kreps (Centre) Czech Republic Florida Panthers

(from Atlanta Thrashers) Brampton Battalion (OHL)

39 Tim Ramholt (Defence) Switzerland Calgary Flames ZSC Lions (Switzerland)

40 Cory Urquhart (Centre) Canada Montreal Canadiens Montreal Rocket (QMJHL)

41 Matt Smaby (Defence) United States Tampa Bay Lightning

(from Phoenix Coyotes) Shattuck-Saint Mary's (USHS)

42 Petr Vrana (Left Wing) Czech Republic New Jersey Devils Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

43 Josh Hennessy (Centre) United States San Jose Sharks

(from New York Rangers) Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)

44 Konstantin Pushkarev (Left Wing) Kazakhstan Los Angeles Kings Ust-Kamenogorsk (Russia)

46 Dan Fritsche (Centre) United States Columbus Blue Jackets

(from Chicago Blackhawks) Sarnia Sting (OHL)

48 Dmitri Chernykh (Right Wing) Russia New York Islanders Khimik Moscow Oblast (Russia)

Teams who picked in the second round before Weber's selection, and whose picks turned up absolutely nothing of worth, are below

33 Loui Eriksson (Left Wing) Sweden Dallas Stars

(from Columbus Blue Jackets) Frolunda HC (Sweden)

Er, Loui Eriksson was in the All Star game, had 2G 2A in the game, and has 17G 32A in 49 games this season.

My wife said the same thing and was surprised by Sharp's selection as well. What I think happened was that Versus and the announce crew screwed up and that tilted the voting towards Sharp. Toward the end of the first (or maybe right before the second started) they talked about Sharp having three assists and how he was one shy of Adam Oates' record for most assists in one period, and how he never had a 3-assist game with the Black Hawks. I assumed that he finished with at least four points (1G, 3A) or more and had to go back and check the box score later when the on-screen graphic showed only three points total.

I think either they were flat-out wrong on their scoring or the official scorer changed a goal or assist later and took a point away, and everyone assumed from the big deal they made about Sharp that he had the best night. That's what happens when you let the fans pick the winner American Idol-style.

Probably got hit by a shot or took a slash while standing in front of the net on the PP.

Biggest waste of talent I've ever seen. Put your most expensive forward in front of the net and blast pucks at him...

41 Matt Smaby (Defence) United States Tampa Bay Lightning

(from Phoenix Coyotes) Shattuck-Saint Mary's (USHS)

Anyone else think "smaby not" after each time a play-by-play announcer mentions his name? One time, he started up the ice with the puck and RJ (or it may have been a Versus announcer) said "Smaby's going to leg it in himself," then the puck was stolen away. I was hoping, so badly, that whoever it was would say "or smaby not."

Archived