OT: Pizza in Tonawanda?

deluca67

Milano's on Englewood is decent too. Very Bocce-like.

I grew up right around the corner from there on Parker ... very good stuff and very Bocce-like ... I think I remember hearing when they opened (in the early '80s) that the guy that owned it used to work at Bocce's ... not sure how reliable my endorsement can be as it has been a long time since I stopped in, but it was always great.

Duude, dominos is night and day better than it used to be. I first tried it last year when I was living in Amherst and loved it. But to be honest, I'm not a big pizza guy, even when I go to dominos I usually get a sandwich instead. But right now dominos (and yes, Renna's) are atop my list. I don't really like Napoli.. it's not bad, it's just not that good either. To me it tastes like dominos used to.

I haven't had Renna's in probably two years. Mangia's in Allegany is pretty dank good though.

Not only does the term "dank" not make me want to rush to Domino's, I gotta say that while their new recipe is better that's not saying much. It's still a putrid excuse for pizza. Just awful.

I haven't been there in quite some time, but Pizza Junction used to be the place for pizza in NT:

http://thepizzajunction.com/pizza/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=38

Pizza Junction's food is great - we've eaten in their in-house restaurant a few times and had good experiences.

When we lived in NT we also enjoyed Galassi's (we lived approx three doors down from Galassi's) and nowadays my brother and family order from Good Guys and Franco's. I like Franco's pizza and Good Guys wings.

Better crust, better spices on said crust, better tomato sauce. IDK if the cheese is different but it's good.

I would never get it locally in Buff, but you are right, it's gotten a lot better and is perty darn good if you're on the road.

Better crust, better spices on said crust, better tomato sauce. IDK if the cheese is different but it's good.

Sounds like a competitor's tag line.

I have two sons. One thinks Papa Johns is dank (I know, I know, I have failed as a parent) and the other likes a local place. That local place reminds me of my home town favorite, Now Pizzeria in Hamburg. Hmm Now... To keep peace in the family we alternate.

Haven't tried the Dominos thing in a while. Papa Johns wings were just okay before they did the reformulation. Now they aren't worth buying at all.

I haven't had them in forever, but Dominos did a decent wing here in MD.

Wife hails from NT. Glad to hear all the recommendations. Nice to have a few new options for when we're visiting. Up to this point we have been Bocce Alums.

For me, a pizza is ALL in the crust.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, this Buffalo pizza discussion is killing me! Live in NH, where seems all we can get is either salty Greek pizza or inedible stuff from franchises. I don't care how much better Domino's or Pizza Hut is than it used to be, I'm not interested!

Grew up in North Buffalo on La Hacienda, then in Eggertsville on Bocce and Tony's on Harlem, and what I wouldn't pay for pizza like that now! All too often, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..."

And I agree that the crust is key, but the sauce (i.e. Bocce's) is what separates a good pie from an orgasmic experience!

Found a "Just Pizza" here in Central Florida (Sanford,Fl).

Same menu, same ingredients, etc.

My brother and I went there for lunch Saturday afternoon and it tasted exactly the same as I remember them. The owner was even doing a "Buffalo Transplant" night, taking everyone's email addresses who are from Buffalo to organize a get together of sorts, discounts on food, etc. Very nice guy and excellent food!

To anyone who has never been there, take a ride down the 400 to East Aurora - get the Pizza at Pasquale's. Their wings are just good, not great, so get the wings at Bar Bill just a stone's throw further down Main Street. You will not regret this foray into the south towns.

To anyone who has never been there, take a ride down the 400 to East Aurora - get the Pizza at Pasquale's. Their wings are just good, not great, so get the wings at Bar Bill just a stone's throw further down Main Street. You will not regret this foray into the south towns.

Is Bar Bill that place in "dowtown" EA with the great tap list? If it is, I've been there, and their wings are good. The beer list was terrific too.

Pasquale's is solid. They have been a mainstay and have good italian meals as well. There's one on Seneca/Ridge too. I think their wings are just fine, although I haven't had them in over a year.

Is Bar Bill that place in "dowtown" EA with the great tap list? If it is, I've been there, and their wings are good. The beer list was terrific too.

It's just up from the circle on main street. They have a good beer list, which is surprising since it used ro be a rough and tumble honky tonk joint back in the 80's and very early 90's. It's pretty tame now, but you could find a fight pretty easy back in the day. they serve a mean beef on weck, too!

Pasquale's is solid. They have been a mainstay and have good italian meals as well. There's one on Seneca/Ridge too. I think their wings are just fine, although I haven't had them in over a year.

Pasquales has a place in Derby, too, but I think the EA location is their best. Hand made, hand tossed dough cooked in real ovens, not conveyor belts. Home made sauce, fresh cheese grated on site.

Like dough? Ask to have a large dough stretched to a small pan. Just make sure you have lots of toppings or it will burn the cheese before the dough is cooked.

Their wings are good, I would give them B+, but if you are making the trip get the bar bill wings. They are an A.

I haven't been there in quite some time, but Pizza Junction used to be the place for pizza in NT:

http://thepizzajunction.com/pizza/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=38

:thumbsup:

You know where is a GREAT place to try? Gino's Pizza at the corner of Brighton and Fries (right across from Kenmore East). It looks like an absolute dive, but I'll but their pizza up against anywhere else.

It is NOT akin to Bocce's (as other people have posted, Milano's on Englewood is a very good pizza in the same vein as Bocce's...sweeter sauce, little to no crust), Gino's has a delicious sauce, but the crust is where it really shines. Thicker than LaNova or Bob and Johns, very chewy. They use fresh mushrooms, unlike the canned ones almost everyone else goes with, and honestly, their White Pizza (no sauce...tomatoes, couple different kinds of cheeses) is probably one of the best in WNY. Our family has been going there for years, and we all went to Kenmore West. Plus, Gino, the owner, is a huge Sabres fan, so you can't go wrong there!

Gino always seemed to be there when I lived on Brighton Road. Good pizza and wings!

Archived