Music to Wake up HSBC

BuffaloFansR_Crazy

It's pretty apparent that HSBC is quieter than your neighborhood LIBRARY most nights. Forget about the team's play or rich folk with their kids in the 100s for a second, I blame those in charge of the music. What would you play and when if you had the chance? For example on PKs I would play:

I think there is too much production that goes into a professional hockey game. I'm not saying that we need to take away all other forms of entertainment there, but for God's sake, they don't give the fan a chance to get involved.

Last spring I was at the Prudential Center in New Jersey to watch the Sabres play and the sound system went down during the second period.

There was no music, no public address announcer, and no other garbage to clutter up the hockey game. It was a great 15 to 20 minutes.

What there was though was fan participation. There was more reaction to the events of the game (oohs and ahhhs, clapping after good shots and good shifts) and there was more chanting (Buffalo and New Jersey fans).

People were into it and when the intercom came back up during the intermission, it all went away.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any music at the game, but there needs to be some authentic opportunity to get the fans involved without playing "everybody clap your hands."

I would like to see the music return to what it was during the height of the Aud... Sabre Dance at the beginning of each period as the team takes the ice, and pipe organ music leading the fans. And some appropriate music to match penalties and scrums (mocking the opposing team of course).

I can see playing canned music between periods and during commercial time outs if the Jumbotron isn't playing a replay but that's about it for canned music IMO. And keep the stupid distracting Jumbotron stuff to between the periods as well.

In game presentation is awful at the Arena... I've thought it for years and to be honest, I can't come up with a concrete answer to what to play and when to play it. But, some things that irk me are...

1) The announcer. This "lets play some hockey" ###### has to go. "THHHHHHHHHOOOOOMASSS VAAAAAAAANNNEEEK" is also embarrassing. Just announce the goal...I don't need pageantry. Whats next? Announcements for end of penalties and offsides?. When the opposition scores, we don't have to whisper the goal announcement either like its a slight against the Sabres. The other team will score. Make it loud enough so we can hear who did it. He doesn't mention how many goals the opposition player has and you can barely hear the name. This guy is a big downgrade over the guy who took over for Milt Ellis who mysteriously has been missing since the lockout. My feeling is, PASabrefan abducted him, and his remains are somewhere in Allegany State Park.

2) The organ. My oh my, i can't stand the organ. I love saying "Lets Go Buffalo" as much as the next guy, but the organist must try to incite the crowd by playing that riff 200 times a night. Also, the organ itself just sounds bad... I really loved the Aud's organ (prior to closing...although it had an 80's synthesizer sound) Some arenas have killer organs. MSG, United Center, even (gag) Yankee Stadium. We can do better.

3) We have this big high tech HD scoreboard. I wish it was used for more than ads...but thats how it is. How about before the game playing a vignette on a former player or have some sort of pregame show for the in arena crowd. I was at a Boston/Sabres playoff game last April and they had segment after segment on the Bruins. The Sabres just show closeups of the warmups.

4.) Most importantly just freaking win...it'll all change and that building will be hopping again.

Rent marching bands from local high schools and have a pep band. Done right, they provide a lot of atmosphere to a game while still being bodies rather than a recording. Plus it would be fun to see at the NHL level.

This is an absolutely fantastic idea.

In game presentation is awful at the Arena... I've thought it for years and to be honest, I can't come up with a concrete answer to what to play and when to play it. But, some things that irk me are...

2) The organ. My oh my, i can't stand the organ. I love saying "Lets Go Buffalo" as much as the next guy, but the organist must try to incite the crowd by playing that riff 200 times a night. Also, the organ itself just sounds bad... I really loved the Aud's organ (prior to closing...although it had an 80's synthesizer sound) Some arenas have killer organs. MSG, United Center, even (gag) Yankee Stadium. We can do better.

Amen to the Aud organ and organist. They should resurrect tapes of organist Norm Wullen revving up the Aud crowd all his own. The Aud organ had a full theatre organ sound rather than a tinny synthesizer (which is more adept for bands, but not solo). You're right about Chicago's United Center Organ. However, probably the best and loudest arena organ was the Barton Pipe Organ at old Chicago Stadium. It was a Chicago icon, but the United Center builders didn't want to take on the cost of re-installing and maintaining it (though volunteer help was at hand) and opted for a sophisticated electronic version. Unfortunately, the Chicago stadium organ pipes burned in a warehouse file in Arizona prior to re-installation at a new benue. For those who never heard this, the Chicago stadium organ is essentially 2 times the size of the Wurlitzer organ at Shea's Buffalo (I do hope you've had a chance to hear this).

Sabre Dance when the team comes out. Nothing else.

^^^^^ THIS.

I was there last night. It'd be 1000x easier to get the crowd to make its own noise if we weren't bombarded with techno music every time there's any stoppage in play. My dad and I couldn't even talk to each other after the whistles because they're so obnoxious with music, jumbotron video, etc.

And the crowd does suck. Weber put a guy on his ass at the blue line with a great clean hit right at the start of the game and there was almost no reaction.

^^^^^ THIS.

I was there last night. It'd be 1000x easier to get the crowd to make its own noise if we weren't bombarded with techno music every time there's any stoppage in play. My dad and I couldn't even talk to each other after the whistles because they're so obnoxious with music, jumbotron video, etc.

And the crowd does suck. Weber put a guy on his ass at the blue line with a great clean hit right at the start of the game and there was almost no reaction.

Did u react? Did u jump up and scream? If so, good.

Rent marching bands from local high schools and have a pep band. Done right, they provide a lot of atmosphere to a game while still being bodies rather than a recording. Plus it would be fun to see at the NHL level.

Considering how good some of the bands are at hockey games for college games, I would love to see this happen. I've gone to probably 10x as many college games as I have sabres games but still can't help but get into the cheers that go along with the band songs.

I always thought it would be cool to have a garage band down near ice level that would play cover tunes as well as classic hockey arena staples in punk style.

Didn't they have a band at the 100 level at one time? Gilbert sang some Elvis tunes with them (played after home win)? That would b cool.

Did u react? Did u jump up and scream? If so, good.

I did. I yelled and was clapping my hands when I realized no one else was excited by the hit. It was like I was breaking some sort of etiquette by responding to the hit. I just sat back down.

Were people still finding their seats? Was everyone there with little kids who needed to be supervised and didn't see the hit? Was everyone else confused and thought we were at the movies? Really weird.

Considering how good some of the bands are at hockey games for college games, I would love to see this happen. I've gone to probably 10x as many college games as I have sabres games but still can't help but get into the cheers that go along with the band songs.

Years ago I used to watch RPI (Renselaer Polytech, Darren Puppa, Joe Juneau, Adam Oares as alums) at UVM (Univ of Vermont, John LeClair, Martin St Louis as alums) in Gutterson Fieldhouse in Burlington VT. RPI would bring up this huge band that took up a whole section and really got the place rocking no matter who you were rooting for. UVM had a 5 piece band that still energized the arena. The key thing is they were LIVE and played pep tunes, HSBC just rehashes what used to be on the radio. Like I said in an earlier post, Norm Wallun got the Aud crowd going all by himself and better than the piped in junk.

1) The announcer. This guy is a big downgrade over the guy who took over for Milt Ellis who mysteriously has been missing since the lockout. My feeling is, PASabrefan abducted him, and his remains are somewhere in Allegany State Park.

Milt is retired, but he did put in an appearance at the Sabres 40th Anniversary game and even made a few announcements. His voice, alas, is not what it once was. Otherwise, I agree about the hyperbole during announcements.

Milt is retired, but he did put in an appearance at the Sabres 40th Anniversary game and even made a few announcements. His voice, alas, is not what it once was. Otherwise, I agree about the hyperbole during announcements.

Maybe I'll put in an application to be the PA guy. I sound great amplified. I could definitely rock the old school style.

Pantera, metallica, ac\dc, AiC, foo fighters, sevendust, megadeth, black sabbath, avenged sevenfold, korn...

I think you get my point, I don't think this is very hard.

It might be when it comes to paying copyrights. The Sabres likely need some kind of license regarding what music they play.

Archived