(OT) Plasma or LCD for watching hockey?

PASabreFan

I've never had a problem with my LCD (42" Samsung); always looks great to me. However, I never thought my 27" SD TV looked bad until I got the 42" LCD. :thumbsup:

Companies on both sides have spent lots of money on correcting for the weaknesses of the two types, so I'd bet that the difference on the newest TVs would only be noticeable (and probably slight even then) in side-by-side comparisons.

I keep reading that plasma is better than LCD when it comes to smoothly dealing with motion in sports telecasts.

Surely a lot of you have LCD TVs -- is the plasma vs. LCD issue overblown when it comes to sports?

From what I understand, and I don't know much on this, the plasmas are much better at showing blacks and near-blacks. So for movies, especially movies with a lot of black (I guess space movies would be right in there), plasma is better.

A hockey rink is white. Shouldn't matter.

Please, buy a TV with enhanced sound.

From what I understand, and I don't know much on this, the plasmas are much better at showing blacks and near-blacks. So for movies, especially movies with a lot of black (I guess space movies would be right in there), plasma is better.

A hockey rink is white. Shouldn't matter.

Please, buy a TV with enhanced sound.

You had to get a shot in, didn't ya? :w00t:

I have a 26" 720p Sony LCD, a 40" 1080p Sony LCD, and a 50" 720p Samsung plasma. All of them have their good points and bad points, but they all look great compared to a CRT even with FIOS SD for the Sabres games. The HD feeds for Versus and the NHL Network look stunning on all of them.

I would be more concerned with getting a good brand, and, most importantly, getting the correct screen size for the room. There is nothing worse than getting a "Big TV" and a week later you're regretting not getting the next size up.

I don't know a lot about TVs, but my 32" LCD does pixelate a little bit during high-speed sports like hockey and football. I think there's a number called the "response time" associated with LCDs and mine is something like 5ms where as optimal would be 1-3ms. But then again all of this research was done four years ago when I bought my TV. LED's weren't around, and right now I would say a LED (3D or otherwise) would be the best investment. LED backlit screens are awesome.

Just a reminder in case you're thinking about actually purchasing a new TV, I'm guessing you'll be able to find good deals on some LED/3D TVs on Black Friday, and if you're not one for all the rush a LOT of websites do sales online that whole weekend as well. So just saying, you should wait if you were thinking about purchasing one ASAP.

I keep reading that plasma is better than LCD when it comes to smoothly dealing with motion in sports telecasts.

Surely a lot of you have LCD TVs -- is the plasma vs. LCD issue overblown when it comes to sports?

I think 3-4 years ago, it was a no-contest - Plasma blew LCD out of the water in the worst way, simply due to refresh times.

These days it's a lot closer. I have 4 year old plasma and a 6 months old LCD. The LCD by far has the better picture even though it's a cheap 32", which I chalk up to my plasma being an older model.

If the feed is HD, the LCD owns the plasma. On regular feeds, the plasma does a little better than the LCD I think, but that may just be my imagination.

Don't have a plasma, but I do have an LCD. It's about 4 years old. I never noticed any motion-blur when watching sports. I have a 60-inch DLP, too. Different technology than plasma/LCD. No blur there, either. Not as green as the Goose would like, though, due to the very hot projection lamp.

As has been noted, the differences between LCD and Plasma are less now than they used to be, but they are still some important factors to look for.

The first is weight. Plasmas use real glass as opposed to plastic, so they weigh more - in some cases a lot more. If you're thinking of wall-mounting a plasma make sure you have a mount and a wall with two studs. One stud is too risky in my opinion.

Along with real glass, you don't want a plasma sitting in direct sunlight because of glare. They've gotten better using "anti-glare" glass but it's still a problem. If you're going to put a plasma in a room with a lot of windows you could have trouble on sunny days.

The upside of plasma is response time and black levels. Because Plasmas don't use backlighting (like LCD) they can produce a much deeper blacks. While contrast ratios are historically exaggerated plasmas can claim better contrast ratios than LCD. As for response time - there is none. Because Plasma uses gas, not liquid, the response time is basically instantaneous.

LCDs have improved on their "motion blur" problems of the past through better response times and 120/240 Hz displays. They're still behind in black levels but the gap has narrowed considerably.

Above all though - the single most important factor - is on board processing. TVs have to process the signals they receive, and a lousy processor, in particular with de-interlacing makes a huge difference. I have a budget westinghouse 1080p monitor from 2007 that has terrible on-board processing. I can't watch anything that comes in as 1080i - because the blurring looks terrible. I have to force my DirecTV box to feed it a 720p signal and let the box do the processing. Now, I will say that since 2007 the gap between high-end and low-end has narrowed considerably, which is why you're seeing high-end TVs adding in other features - internet streaming, ethernet over hdmi, because purely based on picture, there's just not as much of a difference anymore.

As far as hockey specific goes - I would look at whether you're mounting it and the lighting in the room first. Getting an LCD with a low response time and 120 Hz (or higher) processing couldn't hurt but Plasmas are often cheaper at the same screen size.

Thanks for all the information fellas, and maybe a lady or two sprinkled in, hopefully.

Keep it coming. I'm sure this is helping a few others.

I won't be mounting it.

I've read that if you have a tube TV and glare doesn't currently bother you, it won't bother you with a plasma screen. There's no direct sunlight and just the one bare bulb that swings over my chz shrine.

Screen size is worrying me. sizzle's advice seems good. I usually sprawl in front of my 26" screen (carp has me by an inch, dammit!) on the floor. My shoulder and neck can't take it anymore. Hockey people are usually superstitious, so I really don't want to change, but what has the floor done for me or the Sabres?

So I'd be sitting about six feet away. Other seats are about 10-12 feet away. I was thinking 42" would be plenty, but now I'm not so sure.

I'd be sitting at an angle, and I've read that plasma is better for that too.

Now, there's no way in hell I'm paying DirecTV 200 bucks for an HD DVR. I don't even want to pay 10 bucks a month extra. I already called last season and bitched about not getting Versus and got a free DVR, free installation and free DVR service for a year, and I think they discounted my package. Not sure how much more I can expect them to give me.

Thanks for all the information fellas, and maybe a lady or two sprinkled in, hopefully.

I won't be mounting it.

I've read that if you have a tube TV and glare doesn't currently bother you, it won't bother you with a plasma screen. There's no direct sunlight and just the one bare bulb that swings over my chz shrine.

Screen size is worrying me. sizzle's advice seems good. I usually sprawl in front of my 26" screen (carp has me by an inch, dammit!) on the floor. My shoulder and neck can't take it anymore. Hockey people are usually superstitious, so I really don't want to change, but what has the floor done for me or the Sabres?

So I'd be sitting about six feet away. Other seats are about 10-12 feet away. I was thinking 42" would be plenty, but now I'm not so sure.

Now, there's no way in hell I'm paying DirecTV 200 bucks for an HD DVR. I don't even want to pay 10 bucks a month extra. I already called last season and bitched about not getting Versus and got a free DVR, free installation and free DVR service for a year, and I think they discounted my package. Not sure how much more I can expect them to give me.

Well, PA, it depends on when your contract with DirecTV is up. We tried all summer to get them to deal us an HD DVR to no avail. Our two year contract was up October 20, we called that day and they gave us all the HD upgrades/equipment for FREE, as long as we signed another two year deal. We did.

Well, PA, it depends on when your contract with DirecTV is up. We tried all summer to get them to deal us an HD DVR to no avail. Our two year contract was up October 20, we called that day and they gave us all the HD upgrades/equipment for FREE, as long as we signed another two year deal. We did.

I have over a year left.

On a side note, LCD prices are (were) expected to drop sharply by year's end. Here's an article from September. http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/23/technology/lcd_tv_prices/index.htm?hpt=T2

But I've been waiting for YEARS for prices to drop -- which they have, but I keep holding out for more -- and I have an incredible itch to watch hockey in HD. So now seems like the time to move. Even if the TV I'm looking at drops 100 bucks around Black Friday, if I get the TV now, it'll basically cost me 8 bucks a game for the next month. Seems like a reasonable tradeoff.

I won't be mounting it.

Maybe you need to stop laying on the floor for home games and keep laying on the floor for road games.

I sit about six feet away from a 42 inch and it's a good screen size. 10-12 feet and you might want to go a little bigger. This website has a calculator that you might felt helpful. Frankly, I think it way overstates how large of a TV you need - but it is a home theatre site so I guess that should be expected.

Plasmas are better for off-angle viewing.

If you'd rather not pay for the HD DVR you can try finding an HR21 or another receiver that is "owned". You'll probably pay more up front, but unlike a leased receiver, you own it and can resell it later on instead of just being out the $200 bucks. If you opt to get an HD DVR I'd buy one from Amazon or Solidsignal so you can be sure it's an HR24. You might be able to get free HD for 24 months still - I think officially the promo is over but I know people have asked for it and still gotten it.

But I've been waiting for YEARS for prices to drop -- which they have, but I keep holding out for more -- and I have an incredible itch to watch hockey in HD. So now seems like the time to move. Even if the TV I'm looking at drops 100 bucks around Black Friday, if I get the TV now, it'll basically cost me 8 bucks a game for the next month. Seems like a reasonable tradeoff.

I've had the 42" for over a year now and I still think to myself, "wow, this is incredible." Actually, I think it even more often when watching football, for some reason. Do it; you won't regret it!

Screen size is worrying me. sizzle's advice seems good. I usually sprawl in front of my 26" screen (carp has me by an inch, dammit!) on the floor. My shoulder and neck can't take it anymore. So I'd be sitting about six feet away. Other seats are about 10-12 feet away. I was thinking 42" would be plenty, but now I'm not so sure.

The technology advances so fast, and prices go up and down so much, it's tough to find the "ultimate" deal because, like computer "upgrades", your deal could very well be beat in a month or two no matter what the market looks like now.

I got my 50" plasma only earlier this month, so I was watching prices and what's available out there pretty closely for a while. Compared to the 40" LCD (which is 120mhz 1080) I really think the pros and cons strip each other. Good LCD tvs, like pro graphics monitors, are made (usually) with IPS panels or equivalents - viewing angles are supposed to be something like 178 degrees. This is why brands are important when choosing - you need to find a manufacturer who uses good panels (the LCD or plasma matrix). Otherwise you can spend a lot of time researching each unit and get caught up in minutiae.

So, if viewing angle is a concern, just make sure you get a LCD with 178 degrees of viewing angle from a good manufacturer and you're increasing the odds (greatly) that the panel will be a good panel. Or get a plasma. Doesn't matter.

Weight is a non-factor regardless of the TV type these days, so is heat, as long as you're buying new. My 50" plasma weighs 50lbs. That's nothing for such a huge TV.

At 6-10 feet, I would say anywhere between 40"-50" would be fine, depending on how picky you are. If "too small" would bother you over the long term, I would make the 42" the minimum. If "too large" would bother you, then I'd make the 46" sizes the maximum. If you're not picky, then then 42" would be fine.

Are you looking at one of the Panasonic 42" plasmas that are "well-priced"? Those plasmas get respect from the AV geeks, and the price/quality ratio is favorable.

I would just jump in, frankly, and get what it is you want and be done with it. There are so many details to attend to if you want to get caught up in them that you'll eventually miss another season without watching hockey at home on a HD panel. That would be what would suck, not the decision on which TV to buy. They're all pretty good in a way as that product has matured quite a lot over the past few years. Just stick with a good first-tier manufacturer, not one of the off-brands.

If ya have the room go for 46 inches. Also have ya considered DLP if your setting it someplace its a great sports option. Weight is major issue with DLP I have a Samsung DLP 46 inch that I bought over 4 years ago, really want to replace with a new Sammy LCD/LED 46 inch but the damn thing works too well still. Hockey in HD rocks you will not regret that plus dont worry about karma for the new position the sabres need some change in karma right now.

Are you looking at one of the Panasonic 42" plasmas that are "well-priced"? Those plasmas get respect from the AV geeks, and the price/quality ratio is favorable.

Yep, Panasonic Viera TC-P42U2, only because I think Meredith will come with it. 600 bucks.

It's highly rated and recommended by Consumer Reports.

Since your question is about smooth motion when watching sports, it's not even a question that plasma is better. The only reason I went with a plasma (42" Panny) was for watching hockey. I've watched hockey on my friend's 240Hz LED and it drives me INSANE seeing artifacts from the black puck on the white ice. I can't watch South Park on his TV anymore b/c the artifacts are too drastic.

Since your question is about smooth motion when watching sports, it's not even a question that plasma is better. The only reason I went with a plasma (42" Panny) was for watching hockey. I've watched hockey on my friend's 240Hz LED and it drives me INSANE seeing artifacts from the black puck on the white ice. I can't watch South Park on his TV anymore b/c the artifacts are too drastic.

Thanks. I've been reading about this up and down the Internet and was looking for some validation from trusted folks. And I always trust a fellow Sabre fan.

All good points. Some others:

Some of the cheaper TV's do not have analog inputs. Sure, you love the HDMI cable, but what if you want to hook up the old video camera to your TV? Not happening.

Some don't include internet link. Now, you might say you don't plan on watching You-tube on your tv, but what about software upgrades for the TV? Just like windows, it needs to get the new programs to 'really' play good DVD's etc.

Some don't have memory card slots. It's very convenient to just plug in your card to the tv and play the slide show of pics from your card.

HDMI slots. Some have only two. So your blue ray and cable is hooked up but now your screwed if you want to hook a game system or anything else to it.

Make sure it's 1080, not 780 or 900 resolution. Big difference looking for that 3 inch puck.

I've got a 54" Panasonic, V10 I think, bought it a while back. There was def. a difference between their S models and this one. The S series didn't keep up with the football while I watched it at the store. I sit about 14-17 feet back from the screen. It was huge when I first got it, now it's just right.

Long story short, get the features you want, go Plasma, make sure you can hook all the crap you want into it, and don't fret the extra 300 bucks to get what you want.

I'm thinking that your buddy just has a crappy TV. My Phillips 42" LCD doesn't do that at all.

Last week it did crap out, though. It would get stuck on the boot screen and then just go to black. I went to the Phillips website and found out that there was a firmware update for my model. I had to download the file and have it be the only thing on a DOS formatted thumb drive. Pain in the ### but it did fix the problem.

I really thought these here digimatized com-puters were just a fad.

Archived