(OT) Plasma or LCD for watching hockey?

PASabreFan

You mean you haven't had HD ever before, or you're just upgrading or getting it back or something?? If it's your first time you are gonna LOVE tonight's game haha. I can't watch hockey in standard def anymore.

Tonight will be my first HD hockey game. There's no going back, is there?

The TV in my living room, which uses conventional RGB cables, has MUCH better HD than the upstairs TV, which is hooked up w/ an HDMI cable. That one is really jumpy/spotty. (And it's a nicer television, too.) My conclusion: the cable box upstairs is crappy, and needs to be returned to TWC. Also, I can't watch any conventional channels on that TV, because the only hookup is the HDMI hookup. I'm going to get RGB cables for it pronto (or just use a couple of stereo component cables, if I can find them lying around).

Right. Its almost always the components and not the cables. yes there are bad cables but you will almost never notice a difference.

I would return the box pronto and see if that makes a difference.

You mean you haven't had HD ever before, or you're just upgrading or getting it back or something?? If it's your first time you are gonna LOVE tonight's game haha. I can't watch hockey in standard def anymore.

Have you ever read a PA post? He won't be loving the game.

Does ice count? :)

It's so shiny. :thumbsup:

Even at your age, you should be able to now clearly read the name plates on the back of the jerseys.

Have you ever read a PA post? He won't be loving the game.

It's so shiny. :thumbsup:

Even at your age, you should be able to now clearly read the name plates on the back of the jerseys.

U should b able to read the brand of stick they're using now.

lol too funny. Well now that you've seen both, what do you think? Was it worth it?

Definitely worth it. A million times better.

It's a real shock to the sensory system actually. It'll take some getting used to. The beauty of it hit me when I noticed the reflections of the players in the glass.

Some channels look fantastic. I can't say the MSG channel looked quite as good, but I know I have to fiddle with the settings.

Definitely worth it. A million times better.

It's a real shock to the sensory system actually. It'll take some getting used to. The beauty of it hit me when I noticed the reflections of the players in the glass.

Some channels look fantastic. I can't say the MSG channel looked quite as good, but I know I have to fiddle with the settings.

Versus is by far the best HD picture for hockey. Watch the Flyers/Canadiens game tonight, you'll see. One of the big things is the widescreen view. You can see so much more ice surface. Same for football.

I like the "Sunrise in..." show I think on Discovery. Nice HD.

Versus is by far the best HD picture for hockey. Watch the Flyers/Canadiens game tonight, you'll see. One of the big things is the widescreen view. You can see so much more ice surface. Same for football.

Maybe that's what's going to be hard to get used to. With my old TV, everything looked pretty good, one channel to the next -- but crappy compared to HD. The new TV, every channel strikes me differently, even one HD to the next.

My five year old loves that show. It's a nice break from Yo Gabba Gabba.

Whose your provider?

I only ask because no one who has DirecTV would say that. On DirecTV MSG and NESN (the Bruins station) take the cake - followed closely behind by the Comcast Sports Net family. The FSN's tend to look terrible.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to consider myself tech savvy, now I am an old fart and feeling pretty dumb. I just got my first HD set(50" plasma) and I am pretty sure what I am seeing is the norm, but all non-HD channels have the bars on each side of the picture, and even on some of the HD channels, I see the side borders on some programs/channels, and borders all the way around on others. I see the side bars, to bars on all sides, to no bars, flip from commercial to commercial. I have T-W.

Other than using the stupid stretch function which distorts the picture, what I am seeing is normal, correct?

PS The HD programs are freakin' unbelievable...especially once I figured out to switch the cable box from 480p to 1080i. :doh:

I used to consider myself tech savvy, now I am an old fart and feeling pretty dumb. I just got my first HD set(50" plasma) and I am pretty sure what I am seeing is the norm, but all non-HD channels have the bars on each side of the picture, and even on some of the HD channels, I see the side borders on some programs/channels, and borders all the way around on others. I see the side bars, to bars on all sides, to no bars, flip from commercial to commercial. I have T-W.

Other than using the stupid stretch function which distorts the picture, what I am seeing is normal, correct?

PS The HD programs are freakin' unbelievable...especially once I figured out to switch the cable box from 480p to 1080i. :doh:

Yes, that's normal.

Unless you stretch (distort) the picture on SD channels, there will be bars on the left and right.

If there are bars on all four sides, then I believe that's an HD signal shrunk down to fit inside that space. I see that mostly with some commercials. I guess the idea is that people watching in SD will see bars on the top and bottom instead of getting portions cut off on the left and right.

I'm kind of curious about what you'll end up doing with this issue with the bars. Personally, I absolutely hate them and would rather deal with the stretched image. I really don't watch too much that isn't HD now other than the Sabre games (stupid Center Ice only having one HD broadcast on Comcast). It can get a little pixely (yeah, it's a word now), but the stretched imagine really isn't all that tough to watch for hockey thanks to the already rectangular dimensions of the rink.

Just have to say, I was up in Canada at a friends a few weeks ago. He's got an HD dish. We were watching Toronto in Toronto. That picture was amazing. His TV is no better than mine but it seemed so much brighter and clearer than a Sabres game.

Is it more that the lighting in our arena is not as bright as Toronto? (we did get all technical and checked the brightness level on his TV)

Or is more the cameras they use there vs. here?

Just have to say, I was up in Canada at a friends a few weeks ago. He's got an HD dish. We were watching Toronto in Toronto. That picture was amazing. His TV is no better than mine but it seemed so much brighter and clearer than a Sabres game.

Is it more that the lighting in our arena is not as bright as Toronto? (we did get all technical and checked the brightness level on his TV)

Or is more the cameras they use there vs. here?

Was it CBC? I'm always amazed by the brightness and clarity of the CBC picture.

Archived