GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

i hate to say it but i was kinda hoping rivet would have been out for a while after that hit to give Weber a chance. Rivet really doesn't do much for me. He's not very offensive, or fast and i thought he was supposed to have a mean streak? I just don't get it.

i hate to say it but i was kinda hoping rivet would have been out for a while after that hit to give Weber a chance. Rivet really doesn't do much for me. He's not very offensive, or fast and i thought he was supposed to have a mean streak? I just don't get it.

Age and injuries. Sabres should have bought out the last year of his contract or worked something out to release him.

Age and injuries. Sabres should have bought out the last year of his contract or worked something out to release him.

It's also where your mind is. The first thing out of Rivet's mouth upon being traded to Buffalo was how disappointed he was to have to leave his just-built dream house in Cali.

A so-so effort isn't going to do it most nights. They weren't playing a ready made opponent like the Thrashers were.

This team doesn't know how to play with any emotion. This is not a high energy team. I heard a lot the last couple of days about tempo. This is not a fast hockey team. They can't play that high tempo game. And they mply don't have the toughness or grit to play knock down drag them out games. It was proven when the Bruins beat them up and wore them down in 6 games.

Where is the Franchise right now? A absentee owner. A front office and coaching staff that few believe are capable of winning a Stanley Cup. A roster of players that is very unlikeable. A roster of players that rarely play hard and don't have the talent to provide a exciting product. Tonight was not entertaining. Tonight Devils fans would be complaining how boring this game was.

Here, also, is where the franchise is:

The arena started emptying out with a couple of minutes to go. There were huge areas of blue seats in the empty bowl with the Sabres "pressing" to tie in the final minute.

Now Swamp and Eleven can tell me I'm seeing things, too. Yeah, Eleven, that joint was really jumpin' in the third. lol

The arena started emptying out with a couple of minutes to go. There were huge areas of blue seats in the empty bowl with the Sabres "pressing" to tie in the final minute.

Now Swamp and Eleven can tell me I'm seeing things, too. Yeah, Eleven, that joint was really jumpin' in the third. lol

No "huge" areas of blue seats (unless you mean the upper corners, which did not sell), but definitely, people started streaming out with about 1:30 left to play. Jackasses, if you ask me. The big exodus came after Ottawa scored the empty net goal, which is normal and acceptable.

There was noise in the third. Towards the end, when everyone was tense and hoping for a goal, it was quieter.

I don't care if the fans are quiet or loud, but you say it like it is their fault the when the Sabres lose. Others have taken this tack before and it bugs the ###### out of me, "Well, if you lemmings would just stop supporting your crappy team maybe they will do something about it. Suckers." It's not the fans' fault when the team sucks! And again, if you don't like it, then go to arena yourself and do something about it.

For the record, after watching last night and really paying close attention to the sound, I am convinced more than ever that the crowd mic placement in HSBC is TERRIBLE. There was one time during the broadcast where you could here the whole arena doing a "Let's go Buffalo" chant in the distance, but all you could here was two guys up close on a mic. It really was terrible.

When where what?

He got nailed cleanly by Neil, then proceeded to label a Sen. A nice hit for Vanek, put the guy on his ass. But then he hit a guy from behind into the boards.

Vanek played intense all night. Very strong in front. I don't blame him one bit, except for not tipping Sekera's wrister at the end.

Sekera can't pass for crap. He seems to just get it up ice without looking. Scared maybe?

Oh yeah, how many games should Vanek be suspended for?

He takes a clean hit and responds with a cheap shot?

I was happy that at least he showed some heart, albeit in a dirty way. I think he's gonna get a game for that, or at least a talking-to. I don't mind that it was Ruutu, though.

I was happy that at least he showed some heart, albeit in a dirty way. I think he's gonna get a game for that, or at least a talking-to. I don't mind that it was Ruutu, though.

Then Ruuttu got nailed for diving -- but he couldn't serve the penalty because he'd been injured on the hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHQ95nUMFM0

Then Ruuttu got nailed for diving -- but he couldn't serve the penalty because he'd been injured on the hit.

Thanks for the video. The area from right in front of the penalty box down to the corner is the blind spot from my seats. So the video showed me two things: (1) a dirty hit, which I hadn't seen, and (2) I know you're not going to believe me, but the boos on the penalty call were a LOT louder, and the cheers when the ref announced the unsportsmanlike on number 23 (the ref said 23 and not 73, so we were wondering why it was served by 26) were also a LOT louder, than what comes through on that broadcast.

Now that I've seen the hit, I've got to question why we were booing so loudly. That's a good call. And while I hope Vanek is not suspended, I would have a tough time arguing with it if he were.

Thanks for the video. The area from right in front of the penalty box down to the corner is the blind spot from my seats. So the video showed me two things: (1) a dirty hit, which I hadn't seen, and (2) I know you're not going to believe me, but the boos on the penalty call were a LOT louder, and the cheers when the ref announced the unsportsmanlike on number 23 (the ref said 23 and not 73, so we were wondering why it was served by 26) were also a LOT louder, than what comes through on that broadcast.

Now that I've seen the hit, I've got to question why we were booing so loudly. That's a good call. And while I hope Vanek is not suspended, I would have a tough time arguing with it if he were.

Take it up with Vogl. :)

"There were oohs and ahhs Friday night in HSBC Arena, and believe it or not there was even a decent amount of cheering by the fans in Sabreland."

What perplexes me about this ongoing debate is why, when the arena has been persistently criticized in the media the last year or so for being so quiet, the Sabres broadcast crew isn't simply instructed to adjust the audio to reflect the truth -- that the building is plenty loud. Why wouldn't the Sabres want to prove the critics wrong, and why wouldn't they want people at home to hear what rip-roaring good time going to a Sabres game is, how entertained the fans in the building are? IMHO, the sound is not there to emphasize.

Take it up with Vogl. :)

"There were oohs and ahhs Friday night in HSBC Arena, and believe it or not there was even a decent amount of cheering by the fans in Sabreland."

What perplexes me about this ongoing debate is why, when the arena has been persistently criticized in the media the last year or so for being so quiet, the Sabres broadcast crew isn't simply instructed to adjust the audio to reflect the truth -- that the building is plenty loud. Why wouldn't the Sabres want to prove the critics wrong, and why wouldn't they want people at home to hear what rip-roaring good time going to a Sabres game is, how entertained the fans in the building are? IMHO, the sound is not there to emphasize.

Unfortunately, the world is filled with people who aren't that good at what they do yet still have egos. They are trying to improve it. They are just going about it the wrong way.

I just watched some of the game again. McCormick played great. During the stoppage when Monty got his penalty there were several things I noticed. Ryan Miller is on the bench looking right at Lindy and he is PISSED. Lindy Ruff, WTF, why is Connolly taking faceoffs at the end of the game. Goose is looking down the bench and the ice trying to figure out why it's not him. Roy then goes out and wins one, the the very next faceoff it's Timmy again and he loses it.

To me it sounds like the crowd mics are on the glass instead of hanging in the rafters. Again, you can hear the entire arena booing in the distance, but up close you can hear one or two individual people booing, just awful.

Apparently Ruff is following through on his threats to only play the guys that show effort. We should remind him that in critical situations you put out players with the ability to get it done. I suppose he's trying to balance giving life lessons to the underachievers and still putting them out there when they are counted on to produce.

I was there last night and the place seemed dead in the first period, but it also had to be the most frustrating hockey I have watched live in a while. Last year the team came out of gates smoking their play was dominating and the fans were making noise at the games I attended. This is a joke so far this year. It was so hard to actually feel entertained and if any of you would have been there, you would have felt deflated like I did. Instead of cheering Let's Go Buffalo, I was yelling Wake Up Buffalo. You can't play 20 minutes of hockey and start in the 3rd period and expect fans to be going crazy. Show some passion on the ice and the passion from the fans will follow. When you play like you are trying to get your coach fired - not showing up and not winning a single game at home in the first month of the season, the place will be dead. There is no take charge attitude on the ice, these guys can't seem to handle the puck at all, there is no cohesion or chemisty between any of these guys - the D is in shambles. There isn't really a single guy that you can depend on at this point. Among the worst are Rivet and Montador. It is just scary bad. I was watching Vanek closely last night and he shows very little hustle. Connolly has no determination, he is so soft. The new kids are playing like they are rookies and their size limitations are showing up. I hope something happens to get this team moving in the right direction (and I thought I saw the right kind of effort in Chicago and Atlanta) but 0 wins at home and the general inconsistency in the first month is reason for major concern (wonder when the last time was when they didn't win a single home game in a month). I have 5 more games to see and I am glad I didn't pony up major cash this year to see the product on the ice - it's terrible. Maybe it's time for a coaching change, maybe some player shakeup needs to happen, maybe the GM has to admit he hasn't been able to get the right players to Buffalo, maybe the management team has to give the hockey dep't more flexibility in their budget. It all looks broken right now.

How crazy (and kinda cool) would it be if the Bills and the Sabres both got the #1 picks in their drafts in the same year?

It would sorta be like the year that both teams got so screwed by the officials that they actually changed the rules in both leagues. (No Goal, "Just give it to 'em.")

Well, yet again, the Sabres return from a road win and come out for a home game like they think all they need to do is show up and someone will award them a win. Outshot 13-4 in the first period. Give me a break already.

a few other points:

- This team isn't good enough to win if Miller and Myers both have off nights.

- Montador giftwrapped another goal for the opponent. Myers did the same, plus took a penalty that led to a PPG for Ottawa.

- Derek Roy: 21 minutes, 0 points, 1 shot on goal.

- Vanek looks like he's going to deliver about 19 goals this year in exchange for that $7MM.

- Awful PP again.

- The entire offense was 2 very saveable slappers from TC. That's it.

- Does the CBA permit bag skates on the day of the 2nd game of a back-to-back?