Younger Jeanneret looking to make his mark

wildcat48

Younger Jeanneret looking to make his mark

Published on: 21st September, 2010 by Chris Roy

It’s just not players who strive to get the call into the coaches’ office, letting them know they are heading to the NHL. It happens in all facets of the game including the radio booth.

The Buffalo Sabres announced this morning that Portland Pirates play-by-play Mark Jeanneret will fill in for his father, Rick Jeanneret, long-time current play-by-play of the Sabres for a pair of games in Calgary and Edmonton on Dec. 27th and 28th, respectively.

Link>>>>

“It’s obliviously (sic) an honor to be considered for the opportunity,” said Mark Jeanneret. “I’ve got a couple games to do what I can do. We’ll see how the chips fall after that.”

The bolded part makes me wonder if Mark tipped his hand as to the situation. Maybe he knows this is his dad's last season.

“It’s obliviously (sic) an honor to be considered for the opportunity,” said Mark Jeanneret. “I’ve got a couple games to do what I can do. We’ll see how the chips fall after that.”

The bolded part makes me wonder if Mark tipped his hand as to the situation. Maybe he knows this is his dad's last season.

I don't think it implies anything to that effect.

This has been posted here before -- forward to ~3:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfzamnu7guA

Oooof.

I really don't like the idea of the inimitable RJ being replaced by anyone (his son, nephew, gardener, whomever) who sounds like a practiced caricature of (rather than an homage to) that legendary voice.

Speaking of which, this kid managed to evoke his father's voice (but not his genius, obviously) in a way that was far more natural and convincing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJ0AkzvdN8

Oooof.

I really don't like the idea of the inimitable RJ being replaced by anyone (his son, nephew, gardener, whomever) who sounds like a practiced caricature of (rather than an homage to) that legendary voice.

Double Oooof.

Thing is, even Rick didn't start making that goal call until much later in his career, I'm guessing around the time of the horn being put in place at the Aud. The kid doesn't even have the sense to copy his dad's good goal calls.

Thing is, even Rick didn't start making that goal call until much later in his career, I'm guessing around the time of the horn being put in place at the Aud. The kid doesn't even have the sense to copy his dad's good goal calls.

agreed. and i know we've kicked this can around quite a bit, but i'll say this by way of review and summary of my take: rj's style has arguably become a caricature of itself. the fact that his son patterns his style after that caricature makes the mimicking not just totally transparent, but also annoying.

I didn't listen to everything, but what I did hear wasn't too bad. If I were to call a game, I imagine I'd have some RJ-erisms too. Before Center Ice and the internet, I went without. But I've probably heard RJ call over 30 seasons all together between 20 or so years up there and 20 or so down here. So I wasn't entirely surprised to here his kid doing it.

But that goal call was where I stopped it. Way too much.

'I saw his skate move forward' was all I could handle.OMG.

good call. the tremulato (is that a word? no it isn't - but you get the idea) thing he goes for there is so clearly (and poorly) lifted straight from his old man.

He just needs a good dose of puberty.

as another member noted, he sounds fine when he's just using his natural voice -- fine to listen to, calls the game pretty well, good pace, good cadence. he just doesn't have the pipes, or as my old theater professors called it "the instrument", to hit the notes that his dad does.

as another member noted, he sounds fine when he's just using his natural voice -- fine to listen to, calls the game pretty well, good pace, good cadence. he just doesn't have the pipes, or as my old theater professors called it "the instrument", to hit the notes that his dad does.

I will preface this by saying that it made my hair stand on end, too, but consider this - When was the last time you went back and listened to RJ's calls from the early years? Do it some time. He didn't have "the pipes" or "the instrument" back then that he does now. In fact, he sounded an awful lot like his kid does now. It seems that 40 years of whiskey and plane rides and little sleep have seasoned RJ into what he is today - he certainly didn't start off sounding anything like he does now.

As far as the family resemblance in their voices - they are father and son - haven't you ever heard a father and son who sound exactly alike? The same intonation, the same emphasis? I can think of 3 or four father/son pairs like that. I don't know if its conscious or unconscious, but it happens sometimes. Don't automatically assume the kid is trying to rip off his father's style - maybe that's just the way they talk around the dinner table at the Jeanneret household.

If so, I want to have dinner with them! :thumbsup:

When was the last time you went back and listened to RJ's calls from the early years? Do it some time. He didn't have "the pipes" or "the instrument" back then that he does now.

i have listened to old calls, and, as acknowledged above, his style was different, more under-stated. but that style was a function of the era (back when being a "homer" was sort of an insult), the medium (radio), his employment (he worked for an independent broadcaster, not the team), and the arena experience (no goal horn). rj had the chops to make the calls then in the way that he makes them now -- he just didn't do so. i would argue that the toll of his career and his advancing age would inhibit rj from hitting his full range, not give rise to a fuller range.

As far as the family resemblance in their voices - they are father and son - haven't you ever heard a father and son who sound exactly alike?

i understand what you're saying. but this father-son pairing involves a father who is a legendary play-by-play broadcaster. sort of a unique situation. as i listen to mark's calls, there are times when i hear how he just naturally sounds like his dad, but there are others where he clearly sounds like he's doing a bad impersonation of him.

i have listened to old calls, and, as acknowledged above, his style was different, more under-stated. but that style was a function of the era (back when being a "homer" was sort of an insult), the medium (radio), his employment (he worked for an independent broadcaster, not the team), and the arena experience (no goal horn). rj had the chops to make the calls then in the way that he makes them now -- he just didn't do so. i would argue that the toll of his career and his advancing age would inhibit rj from hitting his full range, not give rise to a fuller range.

You hear a different style and restraint, I hear an immature voice.

All I know is it sounded pretty good coming out of the little speaker on my AM radio that I snuck under the covers with me at bed time! I just can't imagine listening to a sabres game and not hearing RJ's voice. The reality that it is coming sooner rather than later makes me nostalgic. Nostalgia makes RJ's kid sound better.

You hear a different style and restraint, I hear an immature voice.

All I know is it sounded pretty good coming out of the little speaker on my AM radio that I snuck under the covers with me at bed time! I just can't imagine listening to a sabres game and not hearing RJ's voice. The reality that it is coming sooner rather than later makes me nostalgic. Nostalgia makes RJ's kid sound better.

fair points, all.

i will say, though, that your nostalgia must be a pretty powerful influence if it makes mark's "scoooorree" call in the linked video sound like something you'd want to hear.

and, btw, i relied on my faux wood paneled alarm clock (i can still picture it) to listen to those same calls. the deal that i brokered with my mom was that i had to set the mechanical "snooze" switch that would cause the radio to turn itself off after an hour's time. most nights i was asleep before the tell-tale "thwack" of the timed switch moving from on to off.

fair points, all.

i will say, though, that your nostalgia must be a pretty powerful influence if it makes mark's "scoooorree" call in the linked video sound like something you'd want to hear.

and, btw, i relied on my faux wood paneled alarm clock (i can still picture it) to listen to those same calls. the deal that i brokered with my mom was that i had to set the mechanical "snooze" switch that would cause the radio to turn itself off after an hour's time. most nights i was asleep before the tell-tale "thwack" of the timed switch moving from on to off.

Mine was the little handheld AM radio's of the day (transistor radios) that ran on nine volt batteries - it was a '76 bicentennial model.

Looked just like this:

post-1934-092574900 1285348119_thumb.gif

Archived