Younger Jeanneret looking to make his mark

wildcat48

His early days @ 5:00 and @ 6:49 sounds pretty close to his son, but his son still 'whines' on a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6FZ8cy9Rug

Thanks, Chz - I was thinking of some of the clips from the "roll the highlights" CD from the early Sabres years.

RJ then and his son now are eerily similar - whether its feigned or not - what does it matter? If he can't invoke his father's voice, who can?

His early days @ 5:00 and @ 6:49 sounds pretty close to his son, but his son still 'whines' on a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6FZ8cy9Rug

The play by play, sure they don't sound that far apart. It's the goal calls where they are miles apart. There's no better way to put it than That Aud Smell put it. The kid just doesn't have the voice. Plus, ripping off the "scoooooooore" call is just terrible.

The play by play, sure they don't sound that far apart. It's the goal calls where they are miles apart. There's no better way to put it than That Aud Smell put it. The kid just doesn't have the voice. Plus, ripping off the "scoooooooore" call is just terrible.

I have to admit that the 'score' in the fog was a little 'wobbly'. Hopefully the kid has been practicing all summer screaming score all day.

try this clip - a little more Mark in this one.My link

And this one My link

At some point in the late 70's his voice became much more polished and mature - but there is a lot of squeak in the early years.

korab, I'm with you on the nostalgia bit... Rick was just as "squeaky" (to my ear anyway) in the early clips as Mark was when with the Erie Otters. The Otters clip is at least 2 years old... not that that is a huge difference, but he may have polished his act a bit (I haven't found more than a brief clip or two of his work with the Pirates to really compare). Rick Jeanneret's voice to me invokes the Sabres as much as any player or sweater crest, and Mark following in his father's footsteps is in the grand tradition of many great announcers. Nepotism and namesake perpetuating a brand association. Maybe a cheap ploy, maybe not. Of course, if they give him the job it'll be very difficult to take it away.

RJ then and his son now are eerily similar - whether its feigned or not - what does it matter? If he can't invoke his father's voice, who can?
The play by play, sure they don't sound that far apart. It's the goal calls where they are miles apart.

their calls on ordinary play are very similar - and the similarities there sound very natural and, for me, are quite pleasant to hear.

it's where they punctuate their calls that mark's voice sounds affected and things start to unravel.

as i think about it, though, there's no real downside for me if (when) the team brings on mark to succeed his dad. either mark seasons himself, finds his own way, invokes his father without sounding like a hackneyed rip-off, or he continues to trot out his best "roll the highlight reel" impersonations and thereby provides people like me with endless entertainment and grist for the mill.

Archived