Ruff to keep 8 d-men for start

Two or less

Ruff: All 8 'D' will stay, Kassian will get look in exhibitions

Barring a trade, which seems unlikely, coach Lindy Ruff confirmed this afternoon that the Sabres will start the season with eight defensemen on their roster. Mike Weber, Andrej Sekera and Chris Butler would all have to go through waivers and the Sabres aren't likely to take that risk to get one of them back to Portland.

Based on the fact Sekera and Butler struggled to get in the lineup at the end of last season, the road is clear for Weber to be the No. 6 defenseman to join Tyler Myers, Craig Rivet, Steve Montador and newcomers Jordan Leopold and Shoane Morrisonn. Provided, of course, Weber doesn't stub his toe in the exhibition season.

"You always look at it that you can never have enough defensemen," Ruff said. "It's always tough when you have extra around but you get one or two hurt and that makes it tough on the team."

Team Seymour, backstopped by Ryan Miller, won today's scrimmage over Team Punch, 4-2, to advance to Tuesday's camp championship game, which will be a rematch of those two teams. Zack Kassian snapped a 2-2 tie in the third period with a brilliant snapshot over the shoulder of Jhonas Enroth and Cody McCormick added an empty-netter.

More- http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2010/09/ruff-all-8-d-will-stay-kassian-will-get-look-in-exhibitions.html

That's a crowded defense. I wonder if the one they dislike most during camp/preseason they will try to ship out for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick? I don't think any of these guys would clear waivers, theres just too many bad teams out there that could use one of these d-men on their back end.

It's also good to see Kassian playing well and Ruff giving him a shot in pre-season.

I highly doubt sekera or butler would fetch a third or fourth rounder but stranger things have happened.

It sounds to me Lindy is more than happy with 8 dmen. Without the roster in front of me, I'm not sure how that will impact the forward rank other than little Gerbe starting the year in Portland.

I highly doubt sekera or butler would fetch a third or fourth rounder but stranger things have happened.

It sounds to me Lindy is more than happy with 8 dmen. Without the roster in front of me, I'm not sure how that will impact the forward rank other than little Gerbe starting the year in Portland.

Not too sure, but i also think Gerbe would need to clear through waivers, i doubt he would pass with all of his AHL success and him being everywhere last year in the playoffs. I could be wrong though.

Not too sure, but i also think Gerbe would need to clear through waivers, i doubt he would pass with all of his AHL success and him being everywhere last year in the playoffs. I could be wrong though.

He's in the 3rd year of his entry deal and hasn't played very many games. He's waiver exempt.

It's almost certainly not going to happen, but how sweet would it be if the Savage Beast pulled a Myers and played his way onto the roster as a 19-year old?

He's more the Savage Twit right now, but it would be good to see him play his way into the team. With Kaleta to pester and Kassian to pound other teams, I see a bright-ish future.

An NHL roster has what, 23 guys? So here's who we have at camp.. I'll put a strike through people who should have no chance of making the pro team.

That leaves it at 25 players. Meaning two more need to get cut. I'll strike italics my choice for the people to get cut (and by getting cut i mean most likely sent to minors

So there, that's 23 players. 20 play in a game. Both goalies, 6 defenseman, 12 forwards. That means three people a night are going to sit. I'll italicise my choices.

So assuming Kassian makes the roster, gets a contract, etc... we have 2 defense a night just rotting away.. I'm just not a fan of this.

Forwards:

Byron

Conboy

Connolly

Ellis

Ennis

Gaustad

Gerbe

Grier

Hecht

Kaleta

McCauly

McCormick

Niedermayer

Pomminstein

Roy

Schutz

Stafford

Stuart

Trop

Turnbull

Vanek

Whitmore

Kassian*

Parrish*

Defense

Biega

Brennan

Butler

Leopold

Montador

Morrisson

Myers

Rivet

Schiestel

Sekera

Gragnani

Goalies

Miller

Lalime

Enroth

*Don't have contracts

Swap Ellis with McCormick. Ellis has a 2 way deal while McCormick has a 1 way deal.

Gerbe can go down so he will. No matter how much anyone hopes for it; Kassian will be back in Jrs.

I only count 24 on your list so that puts the team at 22.

Oh yeah - you were missing Weber. Gragnani goes down or IR or moved to the front or whatever.

I think Vogl answered your question, he writes:

Current pairings on the ice for the 'real' practices.

FORWARDS

Thomas Vanek-Derek Roy-Drew Stafford

Jochen Hecht-Tim Connolly-Jason Pominville

Nathan Gerbe-Paul Gaustad-Mike Grier

Tyler Ennis-Rob Niedermayer-Cody McCormick

Colin Stuart-Matt Ellis-Patrick Kaleta

DEFENSE

Shaone Morrisonn-Tyler Myers

Jordan Leopold-Steve Montador

Chris Butler-Craig Rivet

Mike Weber-Andrej Sekera

I think Vogl answered your question, he writes:

Current pairings on the ice for the 'real' practices.

FORWARDS

Jochen Hecht-Tim Connolly-Jason Pominville

Nathan Gerbe-Paul Gaustad-Mike Grier

Tyler Ennis-Rob Niedermayer-Cody McCormick

Colin Stuart-Matt Ellis-Patrick Kaleta

DEFENSE

Chris Butler-Craig Rivet

Mike Weber-Andrej Sekera

According to this the only moves that make sense are:

Gerbe, Stuart and Weber to Portland

Ennis up to second line

Hecht to the third line

Leaving:

Tyler Ennis-Tim Connolly-Jason Pominville

Jochen Hecht -Paul Gaustad-Mike Grier

Patrick Kaleta-Rob Niedermayer-Cody McCormick

DEFENSE

Chris Butler-Craig Rivet

Matt Ellis, Andrej Sekera in the press box

Not the greatest, but I'm not against it.

Quick edit- I REALLY do not want to see Hecht on the second line. He's perfect in the shutdown role on the third line.

Archived