Lindy Ruff Hockey...

SDS

How about one word to describe a poster: wretched.

Slipping pretty quickly into a personal attack there. Running up the white flag of surrender so soon?

I think what these "define Ruff" threads show pretty clearly is that his fans have very little to hang their hat on. Heck, the best case anyone made for Ruff in last offseason's thread is that he's been around a long time and tends to annoy other coaches.

Ruff Hockey: We're Number 4 30.231% of the time! Someone call the HOF!!!!

Now that, that's a fair point.

And I hasten to add that Rigas did deliver financially, big time, to give Ruff The Dominator in his prime, a tool, yes, but a tool to finish the job. Our highly paid superstar just happened to be the goalie. One of those Rigas years -- might have been 2000-2001 -- the numbers would not suggest Ruff (Regier?) was hamstrung by a budget too much. I think the Sabres sat around 10th in payroll. Remember the floater, Dougie Gilmour, was making 6 million a year.

And I hasten to add that Rigas did deliver financially, big time, to give Ruff The Dominator in his prime, a tool, yes, but a tool to finish the job. Our highly paid superstar just happened to be the goalie. One of those Rigas years -- might have been 2000-2001 -- the numbers would not suggest Ruff (Regier?) was hamstrung by a budget too much. I think the Sabres sat around 10th in payroll. Remember the floater, Dougie Gilmour, was making 6 million a year.

To be fair though, I think Chicago was still on the hook for half of his salary?

Slipping pretty quickly into a personal attack there. Running up the white flag of surrender so soon?

I think what these "define Ruff" threads show pretty clearly is that his fans have very little to hang their hat on. Heck, the best case anyone made for Ruff in last offseason's thread is that he's been around a long time and tends to annoy other coaches.

Ruff Hockey: We're Number 4 30.231% of the time! Someone call the HOF!!!!

Are you kidding? Who started it?

hasek was a tool

is he overappreciated by Sabres fans? This thread doesn't seem that way.

Pretty small sample. I think if you grabbed 100 fans heading into the arena on game night, his approval rating would be 90%.

Former tough guy Sabre, blue collar, remade Buffalo guy through and through. He can do no wrong in the eyes of the vast majority of fans.

familiar.
I like that. And what does familiarity breed, boys and girls?

i sorta knew you'd like that one, PA (not that i'm pandering).

what i had in mind was that puff piece that vogl did earlier this month where he talked about the niedermayer and lalime signings. specifically, vogl interposed this bit of editorial into his report: "The signings aren't earthshaking moves, but they do supply needed experience and welcome familiarity." TBN has overhauled their website and i can no longer find/access the article, but i did find a re-posting of it here.

as then, i question now what it is about our familiarity with this team that should be seen as welcome.

i don't begrudge the view that past is prelude and we know that lindy's system and oversight provide a real chance of setting us up for another cup run. i also don't begrudge the view that, in essence, says "enough is enough. out with the old and in with the new. i'd rather suck for a few seasons and see if we can't re-build like the pens or capitals rather than plod along on the path we are now."

Pretty small sample.

and, i think, unrepresentative of the fan base as a whole.

I think if you grabbed 100 fans heading into the arena on game night, his approval rating would be 90%.

90% is high in my view, but it would be north of 70%, i think (which, if presidential approval rating polls are any guide, is an overwhelming approval rating).

Pretty small sample. I think if you grabbed 100 fans heading into the arena on game night, his approval rating would be 90%.

Former tough guy Sabre, blue collar, remade Buffalo guy through and through. He can do no wrong in the eyes of the vast majority of fans.

Small sample is why the writing on this board does not reflect the thinking of most fans. "Do no wrong" probably does not reflex the thinking of most fans either. Where is that judgment from based on? Do you think they are naiev rubes like Mr. Drane. HSBC fans are pretty smart about hockey. Recently I think they analyze more than cheer. It is true of every bar in Buffalo on gamenights too. Most fans are pointing out player and Ruff mistakes every time and they still like Ruff too. Maybe that is hard to notice in PA but I think it is true being in Buffalo. Do you think 90 from 100 like him only based on emotional things?

Archived