Souray on waivers

tom webster

You beat me to it. He's got 2 years left on his deal, $4.5 million each year, with a $5.4 million cap hit. The cap hit is a bit steep, but this is one worth looking at. That slapshot is exactly what can save this powerplay. His recent injury issues are a major concern though.

Hmmm...this is a weird one. Looking at his career numbers, he's had two eye-popping years, several injury plagued years and a bunch of mediocre years. I'd taking him at that cap hit just for the PP but some pieces will have to be moved and Darcy loves his pieces...

Hmmm...this is a weird one. Looking at his career numbers, he's had two eye-popping years, several injury plagued years and a bunch of mediocre years. I'd taking him at that cap hit just for the PP but some pieces will have to be moved and Darcy loves his pieces...

They could take him at that cap hit without doing anything if they want to. I hope they want to still do something upfront, but they wouldn't have to.

They could take him at that cap hit without doing anything if they want to. I hope they want to still do something upfront, but they wouldn't have to.

I'd like to see Souray here. That cap hit is something, but the power play is the biggest problem, and he might be the fix.

As for the forwards, I just don't know what's out there. Bill Watters said on WGR this morning that he doesn't think there's anyone out there who's better than Connolly and Roy, and while I disagree with his evaluation of Connolly (he said he was still waiting to see what Connolly would do with a full healthy season), I agree that there's not much there. Kovy is not an option, economically, unless the Sabres unload some large contracts, and I'm not sure they can (or should).

So pull in Souray and hope that the power play is helped by his slapshot and ability to distribute, which should keep opposing defenses honest.

I realize that, I was thinking along the lines of bodies.

Myers, Rivet, Montador, Leopold, Butler, Sekera, Weber, Souray?

Someone would have to go and I would hope it wouldn't be Weber back to Portland. The kids earned it.

Someone would have to go and I would hope it wouldn't be Weber back to Portland. The kids earned it.

kid's?, just for old time sake.

...and while I disagree with his evaluation of Connolly (he said he was still waiting to see what Connolly would do with a full healthy season...

While I don't expect every analyst to know everything about every player, stating he's waiting for Connolly to play a full season,right on the heels of Tim playing 73 games. :doh:

...and then Bob's your uncle. :blink:

not to get off topic too much but Rivet is a dinosaur and Butler and Sekera are expendable in my opinion. I would gamble on Souray

I'd rather keep Sekera around. Liked what I saw before last year, and even during parts of last year. Trading Butler for a prospect would work for me, to create room for Souray.

I'd rather keep Sekera around. Liked what I saw before last year, and even during parts of last year. Trading Butler for a prospect would work for me, to create room for Souray.

Butler is the weak link, I agree. But we do have Weber and Gragnani as well, I would like to believe a couple of young talents in their could be packaged for a real nice 3rd line center?

Souray's hand injury was an issue this season. Whats the outlook on that as well? Some questions I have about him is all.

Butler is the weak link, I agree. But we do have Weber and Gragnani as well, I would like to believe a couple of young talents in their could be packaged for a real nice 3rd line center?

Souray's hand injury was an issue this season. Whats the outlook on that as well? Some questions I have about him is all.

Our third line is just fine, we need another top 6 forward. Saying that, I'd take a shot on Souray only because our PP is so atrocious!

If anyone claims souray off waivers now they're on the hook for the full contract, if he passes waivers to the minors and they bring him back to the NHL I think if he gets claimed then the team is on the hook for only half the contract... So it might be better to wait and see if we can get him at half the contract.

Has there been an updated timetable or is Rivet still likely to miss the start of the season? That would give the team slightly longer to address that concern. But more likely, if they actually did go this route, I'd expect to see Sekera or Butler shipped somewhere in a package deal for help up front.

While Souray is probably overpaid, please humor a CBA nimwit - Isn't there something about if a team waives a player and that player is picked up by another team, then the players original team is on the hook for some of his salary?

If so, then pick him up for the PP alone.

If anyone claims souray off waivers now they're on the hook for the full contract, if he passes waivers to the minors and they bring him back to the NHL I think if he gets claimed then the team is on the hook for only half the contract... So it might be better to wait and see if we can get him at half the contract.

There's a couple problem with that approach. First, there's no guarantee that Edmonton will go the re-entry waiver approach on this one. They may just be doing this to see if someone is willing to take on the whole contract, but have no intention of letting him go but still keeping half the contract hit. Second, if he does go to re-entry waivers, there might be a good amount of interest in him. The Sabres are pretty low on the priority order for waiver claims. A good number of teams would have a shot before them, and at that $2.7 million hit, I would think someone else would pick him up first.

There's a couple problem with that approach. First, there's no guarantee that Edmonton will go the re-entry waiver approach on this one. They may just be doing this to see if someone is willing to take on the whole contract, but have no intention of letting him go but still keeping half the contract hit. Second, if he does go to re-entry waivers, there might be a good amount of interest in him. The Sabres are pretty low on the priority order for waiver claims. A good number of teams would have a shot before them, and at that $2.7 million hit, I would think someone else would pick him up first.

Exactly. Buffalo has a better chance of winning the stanley cup with this roster. :thumbdown:

U know Weber didn't play ONE game in the NHL last year and the year before had 0 pts in 7 games, and the year before had 3 pts in 16 games. Yeah he had 21 pts in Portland which amounts to what 10 in the NHL?

Butler, Montador, Leopold, Myers and a healthy Rivet all get over .3 pts per game. Weber's not even cracking that in the AHL.

U know Weber didn't play ONE game in the NHL last year and the year before had 0 pts in 7 games, and the year before had 3 pts in 16 games. Yeah he had 21 pts in Portland which amounts to what 10 in the NHL?

Butler, Montador, Leopold, Myers and a healthy Rivet all get over .3 pts per game. Weber's not even cracking that in the AHL.

And his value to this franchise has absolutely nothing to do with his point production.

I realize you want to complain about everything, but what exactly does this have to do with my post that you quoted?

Just stating that Buffalo has no chance to obtain Souray. Sorry about being bitter. I am trying to be positive. Its hard when all i read is negativity. :(

Just stating that Buffalo has no chance to obtain Souray. Sorry about being bitter. I am trying to be positive. Its hard when all i read is negativity. :(

Ahhh crap, I mixed you up with someone else. That "I realize you want to complain about everything" line was a bit over the top then. Sorry about that. Now I just hope you can also get past the fact that I confused you for someone else (I won't mention the name just in case that would be an even bigger slap in the face).

I was thinking this exact thing seconds before reading your post.

Archived