I never thought I'd say this, but I have more faith in the Bills than the Sabres right now

Tyrannustyrannus

Let's not get crazy here. Until proven otherwise, the Bills are a complete mess from top to bottom.

I believe both Ruff and Regier have outlived their welcome, but does anyone really believe the way the Sabres conduct business would change with a new GM? As long as Quinn/Golisano are in charge this is how you will see the Sabres building their team.

I read this on another board but it rang true. The Sabres leadership is weak and passive and it flows down to the team. I have absolutely no faith in this teams management to improve this team. I used to back Regiers approach 100% but I woke up and realized I put my money on a lame horse.

Not trying to single you out Tryceracok but the hysteria has reached an all time high. I don't know if it's media over exposure, Buffalo fans uber sensativity, or whatever but the insanity over these stupid days is intolerable.

We all know Darcy isn't a big time free agent player. He makes moves through trades and believes in using the draft to build your team. While I don't necessarily agree with everything he does, I do know that philosophy works.

Would I have like a shiny new toy like Volchenkov? Sure but at the end of the day, guys like Weber, Sekera and Butler may turn into good NHL players. I'm certain many a GM would love to have the young defensive talent that Buffalo does.

They signed Leopold, a better puck mover than either Tallinder and Lydman. Mike Weber will be a fan favorite. He will bust some skulls and hold people accountable on the ice. Lest we not forget Rivet and Montador. If Rivet can get healthy and Montador plays like last season I have no doubt this defensive core will be just as good as last season. If there is improvement from Sekera and Butler, very talented young D, it will just be gravy.

Not trying to single you out Tryceracok but the hysteria has reached an all time high. I don't know if it's media over exposure, Buffalo fans uber sensativity, or whatever but the insanity over these stupid days is intolerable.

It's not just insanity, there is pure venom and hatred in a lot of what is being said lately (not this thread though). It's not healthy and I'd imagine that all the local pharmacies are cleaning up on BP med sales lately. None of this is worth driving yourself mad over.

We all know Darcy isn't a big time free agent player. He makes moves through trades and believes in using the draft to build your team. While I don't necessarily agree with everything he does, I do know that philosophy works.

Would I have like a shiny new toy like Volchenkov? Sure but at the end of the day, guys like Weber, Sekera and Butler may turn into good NHL players. I'm certain many a GM would love to have the young defensive talent that Buffalo does.

They signed Leopold, a better puck mover than either Tallinder and Lydman. Mike Weber will be a fan favorite. He will bust some skulls and hold people accountable on the ice. Lest we not forget Rivet and Montador. If Rivet can get healthy and Montador plays like last season I have no doubt this defensive core will be just as good as last season. If there is improvement from Sekera and Butler, very talented young D, it will just be gravy.

I don't think logical reasoning is allowed here.

New Coach, new GM...at least the Bills are trying. Darcy is just plain disappointing.

You have got to be kidding.

good post.

Not to single you out Ink, but this is crap. After the lockout, when people were angry at Darcy's inaction,.. I was calm. It worked out. After our two captains were let go and not replaced,.. I was calm. Last year when only minor moves were made to correct the D/B hangover, I was calm. But this was the year that I and many others said a major move HAD to be made to have faith in this front office. By his own words, Darcy said this was probably not going to happen. His approach doesn't work. It hasn't built a consistent winner year after year like they have been telling us. We have every right to be pi$$ed because we are going to see the same team that we have seen last year, and the year before that, and the.....

I think some people post things that even they don't believe to be true. The fishing line to get the misery loves company bait. It is human nature sometimes but seriously...comparing the Sabres to the Bills (who have been one of the crappiest teams for the past 10 YEARS) is just wrong.

The Sabres are not doing that badly and if ONE of the top 6 guys had showed up (even on the power play)during the Bruins series, it would have been a lot different. This team is a COUPLE guys away from contender talk and the Bills are debating if a practice squad guy, a career journeyman guy or Edwards will lead them....uhhhhh OK

To continue Inkman's logical thinking. The Buffalo Bills / Sabres have a hard enough time trying to find free agents that want to live in Buffalo. Do you think a awesome GM and Coach are going to fall out of the sky? The other side alway looks greener, but seldom is....

Not to single you out Ink, but this is crap. After the lockout, when people were angry at Darcy's inaction,.. I was calm. It worked out. After our two captains were let go and not replaced,.. I was calm. Last year when only minor moves were made to correct the D/B hangover, I was calm. But this was the year that I and many others said a major move HAD to be made to have faith in this front office. By his own words, Darcy said this was probably not going to happen. His approach doesn't work. It hasn't built a consistent winner year after year like they have been telling us. We have every right to be pi$$ed because we are going to see the same team that we have seen last year, and the year before that, and the.....

And what I don't understand is what seems to be the common belief around here that now that the calendar has hit July 2nd, the offseason is over. Take a look at last year and the Heatley trade. That happened in September. Now I don't mention this to suggest that Buffalo will make a deal of that level this offseason, but there is not a single roster in this entire league that is set in stone for opening day.

And what I don't understand is what seems to be the common belief around here that now that the calendar has hit July 2nd, the offseason is over. Take a look at last year and the Heatley trade. That happened in September. Now I don't mention this to suggest that Buffalo will make a deal of that level this offseason, but there is not a single roster in this entire league that is set in stone for opening day.

The only problem is that the only way the Sabres were going to get a valuable player was through FA. We don't have the pieces teams want to get something of worth in a trade (I don't consider overpriced players and D prospects as good trade bait). Sorry, the prospect of a bunch of lateral moves just doesn't get me excited.

The only problem is that the only way the Sabres were going to get a valuable player was through FA. We don't have the pieces teams want to get something of worth in a trade (I don't consider overpriced players and D prospects as good trade bait). Sorry, the prospect of a bunch of lateral moves just doesn't get me excited.

I think trades are still going to happen. There are at least 10 teams that haven't done UFA's yet. There's teams that need to shed salary to get goalies. DR and about 10 other GM's play trades more than FA. I fully expect a trade.

That's not a good thing. The defense needed to be improved to take some pressure of Miller.

After Darcy's presser, everyone can expect the following:

Mike Weber up from Portland

Jhonas Enroth up from Portland

Sekera or Butler traded

Ennis and Gerbe on the roster full time

No significant moves for a center, they'll try and force Kennedy/Ennis/Gerbe into that position.

No significant moves for a right winger, they'll try and force Vanek/Ennis/Gerbe into that position or just keep Staff infection there.

So, in the final analysis, no significant upgrades this off season.

While I too, am very frustrated with the organization, I would never compare the Sabres to the Bills.

The Bills flat out have done a horrible job this past 15 years. The Sabres atleast made a couple of runs at it in that time frame.

I think trades are still going to happen. There are at least 10 teams that haven't done UFA's yet. There's teams that need to shed salary to get goalies. DR and about 10 other GM's play trades more than FA. I fully expect a trade.

Regier hasn't made a significant trade in 7 years. How is this supposed to make anyone feel better?

They've got plenty of pieces. We're talking about a league where Chris Gratton always had trade value, where Nathan Paetsch was actually included in a trade, where Joe Thornton was traded for 3 pieces of garbage. GMs will always make deals that make absolutely no sense to the fans.

That's not a good thing. The defense needed to be improved to take some pressure of Miller.

I agree and maybe they will trade for someone but Butler and Sekera will be better and Weber make people forget about Loods and Hank.

They've got plenty of pieces. We're talking about a league where Chris Gratton always had trade value, where Nathan Paetsch was actually included in a trade, where Joe Thornton was traded for 3 pieces of garbage. GMs will always make deals that make absolutely no sense to the fans.

I know that trades will happen, but like I said, they will be lateral and of no major impact. We deserved more this year.

Fine if that's the case, but what about up front then? That Boston series only made all the more obvious how lacking we are on offense from our so-called top 6.

Does anyone really think this team will be fine going into another season without making serious changes to the forwards?

How come we couldn't offer even a 2nd round pick for Meszaros??? We missed out on the fire sale in Chicago, and Florida trading Horton for a guy who got booed out of Boston and a comparable 1st round pick to ours. I'm not upset that we didn't sign a big free agent, I had no expectations of this... I'm upset because we missed out on some great opportunities to improve this team already through trades.

Maybe we can take advantage of philly unloading a player or two to get under the cap. Although the off season has a long ways to go, I think the chances to make improvements to this team are slim.

That philosophy works just enough to keep us away from the bottom of the pile and away from the top as well. Thus we will be forever drafting between 16 and 24 in the entry level draft each year because we will always be not quite bad enough, but not quite good enough either. It's been going on since Golisano took over.

Being constantly in the middle always offers hope for the future in whatever minor move Regier makes. And hope sells tickets because we'll always be just one or three players away and so he doesn't have to break the bank to get someone like Kovalchuk. And ticket sales are all Golisano really cares about.

Fine if that's the case, but what about up front then? That Boston series only made all the more obvious how lacking we are on offense from our so-called top 6.

Does anyone really think this team will be fine going into another season without making serious changes to the forwards?

And now we arrive at the key question for the rest of the summer.

How come we couldn't offer even a 2nd round pick for Meszaros??? We missed out on the fire sale in Chicago, and Florida trading Horton for a guy who got booed out of Boston and a comparable 1st round pick to ours. I'm not upset that we didn't sign a big free agent, I had no expectations of this... I'm upset because we missed out on some great opportunities to improve this team already through trades.

Leopold is better than Meszaros.

I would have been OK with the Sabres getting Byfuglien or Horton, but both have plenty of question marks attached. I will be very disappointed though if there are no changes to the top 6 other than Ennis and Kennedy taking top 6 spots.

And hope sells tickets because we'll always be just one or three players away and so he doesn't have to break the bank to get someone like Kovalchuk. And ticket sales are all Golisano really cares about.

Nonsense.

Archived