sabres need to go after Kovalchuk

freester

I totally see what you're saying, and I don't entirely disagree, I just want to point out that the Sabres could probably afford signing a superstar and still keep most of the team in tact. Maybe not Kovalchuk for $10 mil a year, but maybe 8? Or Marleau could be had for around 6/7 I'm guessing. Either one would be great. Chances are Connolly or Pommer (so Connolly) would have to be moved to clear a little extra safety space, but ultimately they could make it work without losing too much of our team.

If they can swing it financially, I'm all for it. Perhaps not Kovalchuk, but a big name player. But one thing people need to keep in mind with cap space, Myers will need to be signed in 2 years which will most likely be a substantial contract. In 2 years, they'll need the funds for Vanek, Miller, Myers and whichever big name player they pick up. It's getting tougher and tougher to unload high priced players nowadays and those 4 players would take up a large % of salary all by themselves. I don't have the exact details of each players' contracts readily available so I don't know what position that would put them in so I'm just estimating at this point.

However, I really would like to see how this same team right now would perform with a more offensive oriented game plan........ I think they would be more successful than people think.

If they can swing it financially, I'm all for it. Perhaps not Kovalchuk, but a big name player. But one thing people need to keep in mind with cap space, Myers will need to be signed in 2 years which will most likely be a substantial contract. In 2 years, they'll need the funds for Vanek, Miller, Myers and whichever big name player they pick up. It's getting tougher and tougher to unload high priced players nowadays and those 4 players would take up a large % of salary all by themselves. I don't have the exact details of each players' contracts readily available so I don't know what position that would put them in so I'm just estimating at this point.

However, I really would like to see how this same team right now would perform with a more offensive oriented game plan........ I think they would be more successful than people think.

A heck of a lot of other teams are signing big $$$ players left and right. I'm all for it, just not ###### Kovalchuk. I don't care how much he scores, he's not the type of player I want on the team.

Maybe he's thinking of one of the scandinavian defensemen? :unsure:

Lydman is from the furthest east on this entire team, so yeah, I'm confused too.

As a sidebar, I always find it interesting that we assume other posters are male.

It's a part of my other interesting assumption, that we scare most of the women off.

There may be some raunchy talk here and there, but I think most women just aren't as interested in hockey talk as most of the posters here are.

There may be some raunchy talk here and there, but I think most women just aren't as interested in hockey talk as most of the posters here are.

It's far more fun thinking they're scared of us. Just go read an old man PA post and tell me they're not scared.

I know a few Slovakians and they wouldn't be happy being referred to as Eastern European. Slovakia is part of Central Europe.

ok...the Sabres have mostly Canadians and Americans. Thomas Vanek is Austrian, but has lived in Minnesota most of his life. Jochen Hecht is German, and Lydman and Tallinder are Scandanavian. Its more about the type of Hockey, not Geography.

ok...the Sabres have mostly Canadians and Americans. Thomas Vanek is Austrian, but has lived in Minnesota most of his life. Jochen Hecht is German, and Lydman and Tallinder are Scandanavian. Its more about the type of Hockey, not Geography.

Just a couple minor corrections about Vanek. He's been in the states for a little under half his life. I'm not sure on where exactly he lived, but he only played at Minnesota for two years and spent three years of junior hockey in North Dakota. Saying that he lived in Minnesota most of his life isn't completely accurate.

Just a couple minor corrections about Vanek. He's been in the states for a little under half his life. I'm not sure on where exactly he lived, but he only played at Minnesota for two years and spent three years of junior hockey in North Dakota. Saying that he lived in Minnesota most of his life isn't completely accurate.

Can we just say Lindy doesn't like Russians/Czechs/Slovaks? Kovalchuk is Russian and will not fit on a Lindy Ruff team. That was the point I was trying to make! Anyone disagree? This wasn't meant to be a geography debate, its a style of hockey debate.

Vanek played Juniors in Sioux Falls and later for the University of Minnesota before he was drafted by the Sabres. He has played all of his professional Hockey in the United States. I'm sorry I didn't wikipedia the life story of Thomas Vanek before I posted. I'll do my homework next time.

Can we just say Lindy doesn't like Russians/Czechs/Slovaks? Kovalchuk is Russian and will not fit on a Lindy Ruff team. That was the point I was trying to make! Anyone disagree? This wasn't meant to be a geography debate, its a style of hockey debate.

Vanek played Juniors in Sioux Falls and later for the University of Minnesota before he was drafted by the Sabres. He has played all of his professional Hockey in the United States. I'm sorry I didn't wikipedia the life story of Thomas Vanek before I posted. I'll do my homework next time.

It's not about geography, it's about ego. Lindy can't have someone on the team who outshines him.

(Actually, I know this is an exaggeration, but the point is similar. I'm sure that when Darcy comes to him and says,"do we really need this guy to win?[should I pay him?]" Lindy's self-confidence makes him say,"No, I'll get 'em into the playoffs." It's his greatest asset and his biggest flaw at the same time. Someday he'll realize that he needs these stars as much as he thinks they need him. That's the day I'll be flipping cars in downtown Buffalo in celebration)

It's not about geography, it's about ego. Lindy can't have someone on the team who outshines him.

(Actually, I know this is an exaggeration, but the point is similar. I'm sure that when Darcy comes to him and says,"do we really need this guy to win?[should I pay him?]" Lindy's self-confidence makes him say,"No, I'll get 'em into the playoffs." It's his greatest asset and his biggest flaw at the same time. Someday he'll realize that he needs these stars as much as he thinks they need him. That's the day I'll be flipping cars in downtown Buffalo in celebration)

Turning them over like the Hulk? Flipping them the bird? Buying them for pennies on the dollar and reselling for a huge profit?

Except that Ruff loved Kotalik and for some reason said he was among the most difficult players to let go of. Exactly what player other then Max has Ruff had a problem with?

Archived