sabres need to go after Kovalchuk

freester

Yay, let's build a one man team........... that's worked out real well in the playoffs..............:unsure:

It's comments like this that make believe that Darcy and Lindy have completely brainwashed the entire fan base. Everyone complains about how all we have one our team is mid level talent and we don't have any true "top six" players. Yet whenever one is available all we hear is how they wouldn't play nice with everyone else. I guess we're stuck then with average players because appearantly those are the only types of players that can conform to Lindy's precious system.

I would think that an elite coach, one that gets the absolute most out of his players (as we've been told), would be able to take a talent like Kovy and use him in a way that would maximize that talent. I guess not. I guess the system is more important than the players.

There is nothing anyone can say that is going to make me believe that a 50 goal scorer would be a bad thing for the Sabres.

It's comments like this that make believe that Darcy and Lindy have completely brainwashed the entire fan base. Everyone complains about how all we have one our team is mid level talent and we don't have any true "top six" players. Yet whenever one is available all we hear is how they wouldn't play nice with everyone else. I guess we're stuck then with average players because appearantly those are the only types of players that can conform to Lindy's precious system.

I would think that an elite coach, one that gets the absolute most out of his players (as we've been told), would be able to take a talent like Kovy and use him in a way that would maximize that talent. I guess not. I guess the system is more important than the players.

There is nothing anyone can say that is going to make me believe that a 50 goal scorer would be a bad thing for the Sabres.

I don't particularly want Kovalchuk, but I agree with the point.

Is it not amazing that there are fans who believe just that? I remember fighting this battle at the trade deadline. Maybe if the Sabres had a different GM Kovi would have been a Sabre and the Sabres wouldn't have been the only team out of 16 playoff teams not to score a power play goal.

Is it not amazing that there are fans who believe just that? I remember fighting this battle at the trade deadline. Maybe if the Sabres had a different GM Kovi would have been a Sabre and the Sabres wouldn't have been the only team out of 16 playoff teams not to score a power play goal.

It's funny, too, because isn't Kovy the player we all wanted Max to be? If Max had done what Kovy does (turn the puck over less, bury his chances,...) many of us would have had to change out drawers a lot more after games.

It's funny, too, because isn't Kovy the player we all wanted Max to be? If Max had done what Kovy does (turn the puck over less, bury his chances,...) many of us would have had to change out drawers a lot more after games.

I just don't understand fans fear of adding top end talent. Mike Grier is a nice gut but he is in no way a difference maker. You build a team from the top line down not the forth line up. This team needs to replace the third and forth liners they pretend are top six forwards with actual top six forwards.

I just don't understand fans fear of adding top end talent. Mike Grier is a nice gut but he is in no way a difference maker. You build a team from the top line down not the forth line up. This team needs to replace the third and forth liners they pretend are top six forwards with actual top six forwards.

mike grier isnt a difference maker? seriously? you dont have to score 50 goals to be a difference maker.

mike grier isnt a difference maker? seriously? you dont have to score 50 goals to be a difference maker.

At this point in his career Grier is fourth line player. To be a impact player the Sabres need a player with Grier's physical nature but who can also give you way more than 22 points. Grier is a accent piece not a cornerstone.

Well I can't say I "know" he would, but who wouldn't want to play for their home town team, or their favorite team growing up, if given the chance. We all found out how Chris Drury felt about that haha

We did find out about Drury, but there is a massive difference between NYC and Buffalo. I think most people who live in Buffalo have an idea of this but it becomes even more evident when you leave the city: Buffalo is like a small town. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone is stubborn and stuck in their ways. That's actually not a criticism, it's impossible to find an actual city as tightly knit as Buffalo is. That, however, is very intimidating I think to a lot of players, especialy someone like Kane.

For Kaleta and Kennedy it's OK, but they aren't expected to be scoring 50 goals. Kane would instantly be viewed as the answer here. He would be expected to play at the level of Crosby and Ovechkin, and nothing less. Furthermore, here he wouldn't have any place to hide because it's such a tight knit community. Let's face it, if any of you wanted to find out where in Buffalo Ryan Miller is right now, you could with a little digging. In Chicago, NYC, LA, Toronto, etc. a player can easily disappear from everyone and even side step media criticism. In Buffalo, you simply can not get away from a guy like Gleason once he decides he doesn't like you, and that is tough on players.

Just wanted the opposite view is all. If anything I would get this idea out of your head for a few more years dude. Chicago isn't trading a top players in his early 20's... especially now. They have very few needs, and that actually hurts anyone's chances of getting Kane in a trade.

Well I can't say I "know" he would, but who wouldn't want to play for their home town team, or their favorite team growing up, if given the chance. We all found out how Chris Drury felt about that haha

Didn't Briere turn down the Canadians (basically his home town team) and chose to sign in Philly (and I think the rumor also was that the Montreal offer was worth more) because he didn't want the added pressure of playing in his hometown

My biggest problem with signing Kovy is not building your team around some big name forwards, but building it around big name wingers: Vanek and Kovy. If this team is dishing out $9+ million per season, I want it to be for a center. Maybe I overvalue that position a little, but it's always seemed like being strong down the middle is the way to go.

[/b]

As one who argued with you plenty about bringing in Kovy at the deadline, I will say that I would be quite happy if the Sabres went after him as a UFA. There's a big difference between getting him locked up for 5-6 years for zero in trade and getting him for 4 weeks in a trade where you have to give up quite a bit.

If they paid someone a #2 draft pick to take Pommer off their hands, that plus Lydman and Tallinder leaving would give them enough room in the annual budget for Kovy.

I don't see the Sabres taking a shot at him, but if they did, they'd need another Russian to keep him company, and my choice would be Volchenkov.

At this point in his career Grier is fourth line player. To be a impact player the Sabres need a player with Grier's physical nature but who can also give you way more than 22 points. Grier is a accent piece not a cornerstone.

Grier isn't a scorer but was still, definitely, a difference-maker for this team.

My biggest problem with signing Kovy is not building your team around some big name forwards, but building it around big name wingers: Vanek and Kovy. If this team is dishing out $9+ million per season, I want it to be for a center. Maybe I overvalue that position a little, but it's always seemed like being strong down the middle is the way to go.

I'd be just as happy with Marleau, a center, as with Kovy. I don't think there are any other FA centers in the ballpark with those 2 this summer though.

I don't particularly want Kovalchuk, but I agree with the point.

How could you not want Kovy? Crosby and Ovechkin are not available. He is a class guy, a hard worker, a family man and a brilliant scorer and leader. He is the best free agent to hit the open market since Hossa. He is exactly what the sabres need, although a center would be ideal. I live in Atlanta and watched him his entire career. He wants to play for a contender and play in a city where hockey matters. He also likes playing with some fellow russians.

Shouldn't Kovalchuk's time in NJ be mentioned? I don't know what it is about him but there is something wrong.

He had 6 points in 5 playoff games for a team he didn't play with until the end of the season. That is not bad production.

Shouldn't Kovalchuk's time in NJ be mentioned? I don't know what it is about him but there is something wrong.

Do you mean the point per game in the regular season or that he led them in scoring in the playoffs?

The guy is a legit 50 goal scorer that can create his own offense. The defensive game isn't there and I can look past that because of how far off the charts his offense is. This isn't a Briere with decent offensive production. This is a elite offensive player.

I don't see the Sabres taking a shot at him, but if they did, they'd need another Russian to keep him company, and my choice would be Volchenkov.

Don't take this the wrong way but as George said "OMG I think it moved!" Myers and Volchenkov on the back end? Volchenkov is the 'Russian Hammer' the Sabres need on the blue-line. How different my outlook would be with a off-season that included the acquisitions of Volchenkov, Kovi and maybe a Matt Cullen or Umberger.

We did find out about Drury, but there is a massive difference between NYC and Buffalo. I think most people who live in Buffalo have an idea of this but it becomes even more evident when you leave the city: Buffalo is like a small town. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone is stubborn and stuck in their ways. That's actually not a criticism, it's impossible to find an actual city as tightly knit as Buffalo is. That, however, is very intimidating I think to a lot of players, especialy someone like Kane.

For Kaleta and Kennedy it's OK, but they aren't expected to be scoring 50 goals. Kane would instantly be viewed as the answer here. He would be expected to play at the level of Crosby and Ovechkin, and nothing less. Furthermore, here he wouldn't have any place to hide because it's such a tight knit community. Let's face it, if any of you wanted to find out where in Buffalo Ryan Miller is right now, you could with a little digging. In Chicago, NYC, LA, Toronto, etc. a player can easily disappear from everyone and even side step media criticism. In Buffalo, you simply can not get away from a guy like Gleason once he decides he doesn't like you, and that is tough on players.

Just wanted the opposite view is all. If anything I would get this idea out of your head for a few more years dude. Chicago isn't trading a top players in his early 20's... especially now. They have very few needs, and that actually hurts anyone's chances of getting Kane in a trade.

Well I guess you're right, it probably depends on the person. I guess we'll never know, because none of us will ever be in his situation, but it just seems that growing up watching the Sabres (and maybe the Bills too?) and feeling the heart break of Buffalo, he'd want to try to help out. I guess people don't believe in loyalty anymore. Sure there's a lot of pressure playing in your home town.. but he's got Miller and Vanek to help shoulder that pressure. In fact I'd believe the opposite: playing in NY or Chicago or Montreal would bring way more pressure than playing for Buffalo. In an environment you're comfortable with.. it's not like he'd come back to where he's played hockey his whole life and forget how to play and suddenly become to the team's whipping boy.

The bottom line is you're right, that Chicago probably won't trade Kane OR Toews for that matter... but is someone gonna take on Hossa's 8 mil? Someone willing to give Huet a fifth chance for 5 mil per? Hmm and they aren't gonna trade young talent, so Keith's 8 mil is the on the books for sure... is Campbell really worth 7.5 to any team out there??

I'm just trying to make conversation.. but in my opinion Kane to Buffalo is 20x more likely than Kovalchuk to Buffalo.. haha.

Didn't Briere turn down the Canadians (basically his home town team) and chose to sign in Philly (and I think the rumor also was that the Montreal offer was worth more) because he didn't want the added pressure of playing in his hometown

Didn't hear about that, but if it's true: what a ###### (vag). Makes me want to re-consider cheering for Philly to win the cup, because I really don't care that much to begin with. Whether he has no loyalty to his roots, or is scared of the pressure that comes with playing in Montreal, you have to be willing to that chance. He doesn't deserve to be a champion if he isn't willing to face adversity.

As far as a player not wanting to play here due to the cosmetic appearance of the city , and lack of nightlife, Kovalchuk having a family , ect... , We must remember that there are a lot of great communities surrounding the city for players. Most players that play here or have played here either live in East Amherst or Clarance... So that argument is pretty much unfounded

Funny how personal stats are the only thing being mentioned. How did his team fare?

Any worse than the Sabres? Just because a certain situation doesn't work out doesn't mean the same result for every other scenario. Maybe you and TW should get together and figure this out.

Archived