sabres need to go after Kovalchuk

freester

Any worse than the Sabres? Just because a certain situation doesn't work out doesn't mean the same result for every other scenario. Maybe you and TW should get together and figure this out.

Just cause I blasted you in your stats analysis doesn't mean you should start referring to me in other posts I have nothing to do with. But I'll take it as a compliment.

Just cause I blasted you in your stats analysis doesn't mean you should start referring to me in other posts I have nothing to do with. But I'll take it as a compliment.

"Blasted?" I need a new dictionary because my doesn't have a definition of "blasted" as completely ineffective. Maybe you can send me a copy of the one you have.

OK. Wait for it........ Ladies and gents I present nfreeman ....

Didn't hear about that, but if it's true: what a ###### (vag). Makes me want to re-consider cheering for Philly to win the cup, because I really don't care that much to begin with. Whether he has no loyalty to his roots, or is scared of the pressure that comes with playing in Montreal, you have to be willing to that chance. He doesn't deserve to be a champion if he isn't willing to face adversity.

Saying that the Montreal offer was for more money was a bit misleading. It may have had a higher annual rate, but his Philly deal was heavily front loaded, then falls off towards the end. He'll be bought out of the end of that deal (last two years), which actually bumps up the average salary quite a bit.

"Blasted?" I need a new dictionary because my doesn't have a definition of "blasted" as completely ineffective. Maybe you can send me a copy of the one you have.

OK. Wait for it........ Ladies and gents I present nfreeman ....

First tell me who the freaky kid is in the avatar is. Is he the one who saw dead people?

Also, in case you didn't notice, I'm supporting your crusade to bring Kovy to Buffalo as a UFA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that applies to just about every team out there.

Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk.................. how did those teams do in the playoffs? Seems to me there is no go-to guy in the finals right now. If one of either teams' key players went down, I don't think it would affect them as much as it would a team with a designated superstar.

Wouldn't adding Kovi make the Sabres a four man team? Kovi, Miller, Vanek and Myers?

How would they be able to afford Kovalchuk without getting rid of an entire line? I'm not talking about goaltenders, I'm talking more along the lines of the rest of the team. I just don't think it's possible to have a bonafide superstar and still be able to afford enough players to keep an actual 'team'.

It's comments like this that make believe that Darcy and Lindy have completely brainwashed the entire fan base. Everyone complains about how all we have one our team is mid level talent and we don't have any true "top six" players. Yet whenever one is available all we hear is how they wouldn't play nice with everyone else. I guess we're stuck then with average players because appearantly those are the only types of players that can conform to Lindy's precious system.

I would think that an elite coach, one that gets the absolute most out of his players (as we've been told), would be able to take a talent like Kovy and use him in a way that would maximize that talent. I guess not. I guess the system is more important than the players.

There is nothing anyone can say that is going to make me believe that a 50 goal scorer would be a bad thing for the Sabres.

Sorry, no brainwashing here. I just believe in a team concept. I think teams that rely on one or two major players are putting way too many eggs in one basket. If your go-to guy gets into a slump, so does the rest of the team. Even worse, if he gets injured. Who is going to pick up the slack if you have to get rid of half your team to afford him? Now, I'm not saying the Sabres are a perfect 'team' they need some work. But I sure as ###### don't want to see them get rid of half of our best scorers in order to afford a Kovalchuk then watch him blow out his knee first week of the season. If Lindy would let our top scorers play more offensive hockey and Vanek can play the way he did at the end of the season, he would be our 50 goal scorer. And if he's not, there are others who are capable of scoring as well. We have the best goaltender in the league, they don't need to be playing conservative hockey. They need to be playing the style of hockey they played in 2005-2007. The Sabres finished in the top 10 in scoring, while playing one of the most conservative boring styles in the league. That's an average team? Imagine if they would just open it up from time to time.

Sorry, no brainwashing here. I just believe in a team concept. I think teams that rely on one or two major players are putting way too many eggs in one basket. If your go-to guy gets into a slump, so does the rest of the team. Even worse, if he gets injured. Who is going to pick up the slack if you have to get rid of half your team to afford him? Now, I'm not saying the Sabres are a perfect 'team' they need some work. But I sure as ###### don't want to see them get rid of half of our best scorers in order to afford a Kovalchuk then watch him blow out his knee first week of the season. If Lindy would let our top scorers play more offensive hockey and Vanek can play the way he did at the end of the season, he would be our 50 goal scorer. And if he's not, there are others who are capable of scoring as well. We have the best goaltender in the league, they don't need to be playing conservative hockey. They need to be playing the style of hockey they played in 2005-2007. The Sabres finished in the top 10 in scoring, while playing one of the most conservative boring styles in the league. That's an average team? Imagine if they would just open it up from time to time.

You're first sentence says you're not brainwashed, then the rest of your post explains why you are.

this team is way too Xenophobic for another eastern European. He'd get run out of town by Ruff, just like Hasek, Satan, Afinogenov, Zhitnik, etc...

I think most will agree that Hasek was the only real "loss" in having those players run out of town.

It's comments like this that make believe that Darcy and Lindy have completely brainwashed the entire fan base. Everyone complains about how all we have one our team is mid level talent and we don't have any true "top six" players. Yet whenever one is available all we hear is how they wouldn't play nice with everyone else. I guess we're stuck then with average players because appearantly those are the only types of players that can conform to Lindy's precious system.

I would think that an elite coach, one that gets the absolute most out of his players (as we've been told), would be able to take a talent like Kovy and use him in a way that would maximize that talent. I guess not. I guess the system is more important than the players.

There is nothing anyone can say that is going to make me believe that a 50 goal scorer would be a bad thing for the Sabres.

It's the contract that makes me hope they don't sign him. He turned down 102M/12 years from Atlanta. IMO, too much risk for a guy who has played in all of 5 career playoff games.

I totally see what you're saying, and I don't entirely disagree, I just want to point out that the Sabres could probably afford signing a superstar and still keep most of the team in tact. Maybe not Kovalchuk for $10 mil a year, but maybe 8? Or Marleau could be had for around 6/7 I'm guessing. Either one would be great. Chances are Connolly or Pommer (so Connolly) would have to be moved to clear a little extra safety space, but ultimately they could make it work without losing too much of our team.

No thanks for Kovy. He's a fun player to watch but i just don't know if he's a player that will do what it takes to win. He doesn't play the complete game as Ruff likes so i don't think they would be a good fit together also to add a guy who only scores and does very little of everything else, that would be a lot of money to give. Kovy i think will either go to the KHL for a massive deal or go somewhere where he can be a shining star like a rock star.... Los Angeles comes to mind.

not from anywhere in particual but ive heard people say hes prissy primadonna divaish. i could be wrong though.

A friend of mine owns a lake house, next door to a certain former team mate of Kovy. This now former team mate dirts kovy to no end, hates him, says he is a locker room cancer, will sit and speak with the other russians in russian in the locker room. Ignores the coaches and gets away with it. It got so bad before the trade last year that he got decked in practice by one of his team mates. No one stood up for him. He is even rude to the usually off limits training staff.

Prissy primadonna diva. describes it pretty well. So does A$$hole.

The guy is supremely talented, but from what I know of his effect on a locker room, no thanks.

No thanks for Kovy. He's a fun player to watch but i just don't know if he's a player that will do what it takes to win. He doesn't play the complete game as Ruff likes so i don't think they would be a good fit together also to add a guy who only scores and does very little of everything else, that would be a lot of money to give. Kovy i think will either go to the KHL for a massive deal or go somewhere where he can be a shining star like a rock star.... Los Angeles comes to mind.

I do see your points but I think we are very short of the bolded part. Nothing wrong with someone who only scores. Sounds like the complaints years ago about Andreychuk only scoring PP goals. I think the Flyers are happy with Briere this post-season. Nothing wrong with scoring goals.

I do see your points but I think we are very short of the bolded part. Nothing wrong with someone who only scores. Sounds like the complaints years ago about Andreychuk only scoring PP goals. I think the Flyers are happy with Briere this post-season. Nothing wrong with scoring goals.

Briere does a lot more then just score. He is a leader. He creates and runs their offense and also scores. Kovy is not a leader. And he doesn't make his linemates better.

Briere does a lot more then just score. He is a leader. He creates and runs their offense and also scores. Kovy is not a leader. And he doesn't make his linemates better.

The only part of this post I take exception to is the bolded section. Kovalchuk does indeed, make his linemates inherintly better, by his very presence on the ice. Not to mention the numbers increase on the assist side as well as goal scoring side his caliber of skill set is sure to imprint on his linemates.

There is not a GM in the league who wouldn't take Kovy over Briere.

A friend of mine owns a lake house, next door to a certain former team mate of Kovy. This now former team mate dirts kovy to no end, hates him, says he is a locker room cancer, will sit and speak with the other russians in russian in the locker room. Ignores the coaches and gets away with it. It got so bad before the trade last year that he got decked in practice by one of his team mates. No one stood up for him. He is even rude to the usually off limits training staff.

Prissy primadonna diva. describes it pretty well. So does A$$hole.

The guy is supremely talented, but from what I know of his effect on a locker room, no thanks.

It's a real shame that the KHL is having serious money troubles.

Archived