sabres need to go after Kovalchuk

freester

I know it seems like the sabres don't make big moves in the offseason, but this year could be different. I think the team will try to move some big salaries such as Connolly, Vanek and Pominville. Lets hope Darcy makes some changes.

I know it seems like the sabres don't make big moves in the offseason, but this year could be different. I think the team will try to move some big salaries such as Connolly, Vanek and Pominville. Lets hope Darcy makes some changes.

if you were darcy, how exactly would you try to get kovalchuk?

Maybe bring back his fellow russian buddy Afinogenov, offer him a huge contract and a chance to be on a contender.

ALTHOUGH I personally am a fan of Afinogenov and am happy to see him doing well in Atlanta so far, there is no f*cking way he comes back to Buffalo haha.

I do think Buffalo needs to make some sort of splash. I would rather pick up Marleau than Kovalchuk, for all the obvious reasons, but I've always considered Kovalchuk the best player in the league pre-lockout and at least Top 5 or 6 since... so if they pulled that off, I can't say I wouldn't be thrilled.

Also moving Connolly and Pominville is definitely possible, but if Regier managed to move Vanek's $7 mil-per-year-to-camp-the-crease contract, ######, I'd owe the man some respect.

Even for the league maximum a player like Kovalchuk won't sign with the Sabres. The Sabres had a chance to trade for him and Regier shrunk in cowardice at the idea.

The basic concept of this thread is correct. This team needs to go big time. This franchise needs instant impact to change the direction. This thread will probably be treated like a joke. It's not a funny joke. For the Sabres franchise with such prideful fans any player in the NHL should a possibility. Here we are and we all know that about 80% of the leagues most talented players are basically pipe dreams. No quality free agent is going to sign with the Sabres. Any quality player they trade for will be gone as soon as their contract is up.

Even for the league maximum a player like Kovalchuk won't sign with the Sabres. The Sabres had a chance to trade for him and Regier shrunk in cowardice at the idea.

The basic concept of this thread is correct. This team needs to go big time. This franchise needs instant impact to change the direction. This thread will probably be treated like a joke. It's not a funny joke. For the Sabres franchise with such prideful fans any player in the NHL should a possibility. Here we are and we all know that about 80% of the leagues most talented players are basically pipe dreams. No quality free agent is going to sign with the Sabres. Any quality player they trade for will be gone as soon as their contract is up.

yeah your right but players also dont want to come to buffalo because look at downtown its basically a scum hole. not to knock buffalo because buffalo rules but there is too many economic problems here and players arent ever gonna want to come here until the actual city gets better.

yeah your right but players also dont want to come to buffalo because look at downtown its basically a scum hole. not to knock buffalo because buffalo rules but there is too many economic problems here and players arent ever gonna want to come here until the actual city gets better.

That is just incorrect. This area has many former NHL players that live in the area. A guy I work with lives next to Scotty Bowman. I've seen Bill Hajt at Old Country Buffet and I stood behind Andreychuk at BJ's Wholesale. It's not the area it's the franchise. As a American city we rank pretty low. As a hockey city we are amongst the best this country has to offer.

[/b]

That is just incorrect. This area has many former NHL players that live in the area. A guy I work with lives next to Scotty Bowman. I've seen Bill Hajt at Old Country Buffet and I stood behind Andreychuk at BJ's Wholesale. It's not the area it's the franchise. As a American city we rank pretty low. As a hockey city we are amongst the best this country has to offer.

i dont know man you could be right but you also mentioned hockey players that are long since retired. i really think younger palyers or players in general dont want to come here because buffalo has nothing to offer.

I really think Buffalo needs to put together the best package possible without losing Miller, Myers, or Ennis (Ennis might be negotiable) and try to land Patrick Kane. I'm not his biggest fan and I know a lot of Buffalo fans aren't either, but he is a superstar player that WOULD play here.

I was looking through NHL Numbers and Chicago has GOT to be in trouble after this season. They have $55 mil invested in 14 players for next season. That gives them, what, $10 mil to sign 10 players?

Kane and Toews will make 6.5, Keith: 8, Campbell: 7+, Huet makes 5, Sharp: 4... Bolland, Versteeg, and Byfuglien all make over 3 a piece, and I assume they're going to want to extend Byf ASAP as he is an RFA after next season. Seabrook is also a RFA after next year, and currently makes 3.5, while their savior in net Antti Niemi is an RFA in about two weeks.

I just don't understand how they can expect to afford all these huge contracts, and I don't see all too many teams taking on Campbell at 7.5 mil, or Huet at 5. They could clear a little room by trading Versteeg, but they'd also be losing a promising young player. So they certainly have some decisions make...

I'm not sure if Kane has a NTC, but it's a pretty safe bet that he would waive it for Buffalo if the organization really ends up needing to move him. Don't get me wrong, Kane is a huge part of Chicago's team and it would be a tough loss for them -- but Toews is their Captain for a reason.

I'm not sure if it'd be enough, but something like two first-rounders, stafford, gerbe or Ennis, and one of sekera/butler/weber.

Stafford is an RFA next season and has a cheap contract, but to some teams might still have some value. He hasn't shown much lately in Buffalo but a fresh start could help him. And unless he has an incredible season, he'd be cheap to extend once he is an RFA.

Whether it would be Gerbe or Ennis in the deal, you're getting another young prospect, probably NHL-ready by next year, and on entry level contracts. Once again, unless they do incredible things, they shouldn't demand THAT big of a raise via extension.

Ditto that for Sekera/Butler/Weber, who all make less than 2 mil and could fill holes on their currently depleted defense for next year. Also learning from Keith and Campbell couldn't hurt their development.

If we upped the ante a bit and threw in BOTH gerbe and ennis, or two of Sekera/Butler/Weber, maybe they'd be okay with parting ways with Versteeg AND Kane. That would clear over $10 mil of cap space while only taking on roughly 5 or 6 mil (most of which not until next season), and at least give them some time to figure out how to deal with their situation. It also would add 4 bodies to their roster while only losing 2.

Obviously this would help Buffalo in a number of ways. First, having a proven superstar forward on our team besides Miller would help us win games. Second, a player looking for a cup might say, "hey. Buffalo has the best goalie in the league, a franchise d-man in Myers, AND two star forwards in Vanek and Kane. I think i'll sign there"

I really think Buffalo needs to put together the best package possible without losing Miller, Myers, or Ennis (Ennis might be negotiable) and try to land Patrick Kane. I'm not his biggest fan and I know a lot of Buffalo fans aren't either, but he is a superstar player that WOULD play here.

I was looking through NHL Numbers and Chicago has GOT to be in trouble after this season. They have $55 mil invested in 14 players for next season. That gives them, what, $10 mil to sign 10 players?

Kane and Toews will make 6.5, Keith: 8, Campbell: 7+, Huet makes 5, Sharp: 4... Bolland, Versteeg, and Byfuglien all make over 3 a piece, and I assume they're going to want to extend Byf ASAP as he is an RFA after next season. Seabrook is also a RFA after next year, and currently makes 3.5, while their savior in net Antti Niemi is an RFA in about two weeks.

I just don't understand how they can expect to afford all these huge contracts, and I don't see all too many teams taking on Campbell at 7.5 mil, or Huet at 5. They could clear a little room by trading Versteeg, but they'd also be losing a promising young player. So they certainly have some decisions make...

I'm not sure if Kane has a NTC, but it's a pretty safe bet that he would waive it for Buffalo if the organization really ends up needing to move him. Don't get me wrong, Kane is a huge part of Chicago's team and it would be a tough loss for them -- but Toews is their Captain for a reason.

I'm not sure if it'd be enough, but something like two first-rounders, stafford, gerbe or Ennis, and one of sekera/butler/weber.

Stafford is an RFA next season and has a cheap contract, but to some teams might still have some value. He hasn't shown much lately in Buffalo but a fresh start could help him. And unless he has an incredible season, he'd be cheap to extend once he is an RFA.

Whether it would be Gerbe or Ennis in the deal, you're getting another young prospect, probably NHL-ready by next year, and on entry level contracts. Once again, unless they do incredible things, they shouldn't demand THAT big of a raise via extension.

Ditto that for Sekera/Butler/Weber, who all make less than 2 mil and could fill holes on their currently depleted defense for next year. Also learning from Keith and Campbell couldn't hurt their development.

If we upped the ante a bit and threw in BOTH gerbe and ennis, or two of Sekera/Butler/Weber, maybe they'd be okay with parting ways with Versteeg AND Kane. That would clear over $10 mil of cap space while only taking on roughly 5 or 6 mil (most of which not until next season), and at least give them some time to figure out how to deal with their situation. It also would add 4 bodies to their roster while only losing 2.

Obviously this would help Buffalo in a number of ways. First, having a proven superstar forward on our team besides Miller would help us win games. Second, a player looking for a cup might say, "hey. Buffalo has the best goalie in the league, a franchise d-man in Myers, AND two star forwards in Vanek and Kane. I think i'll sign there"

how do you know kane would want to play here?

how do you know kane would want to play here?

Well I can't say I "know" he would, but who wouldn't want to play for their home town team, or their favorite team growing up, if given the chance. We all found out how Chris Drury felt about that haha

im sure it does dude, im tellin ya for the most part people who dont live in buffalo hate it here.

I don't disagree that a lot of people dislike Buffalo, but I imagine it's a much bigger issue with professional football players than it is with other athletes and other civilians. Not only do football players seem to all have humongous egos, but also only playing one game a week gives you a lot more free time (not to mention the off-season is twice as long) -- and yeah, outside of an alright night life, Buffalo doesn't really have that much to offer to a multi-million dollar athlete.

And with Kovalchuk, I could see the city being a little bit of an issue. He has a family (i think three kids?) and will want what is best for them, and if that means choosing LA over Buffalo, well, there's not much competition there.

But I do believe the circumstances are different for home-grown players. Frankly, I don't care if I'm from New York City or a small somewhat poor town in the middle of no where, there's always going to be that sense of feeling at home and that sense of pride playing in front of your friends and family.

edit: not that it's realistic, but just to wrap up my thoughts here, I know that if I had played hockey and made the NHL, Buffalo would be ON TOP of my list of places to play. And I'm 90 minutes away! Kane grew up in the heart of Buffalo and is only a few years older than me-- he's seen Buffalo at it's highs and lows, I bet he would be happy to play here.

Sorry for the double post but also keep in mind that Kovalchuk is gonna be the premier UFA this season, he's going to have offers from just about every team that could possibly afford him, and it might come down purely to who can pay him the most money. Kane is under contract for several years at 6.5 ish a year, so money wouldn't really have to factor in his decision (if its his to make, still no confirmation on his NTC).

what it really comes down to is whether or not Chicago would trade Kane, and that's doubtful. But seriously, take a look: http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CHI&season=0910

I just don't see how they can escape their salary situation without moving someone, and Kane to Buffalo might be the easiest solution.

I don't disagree that a lot of people dislike Buffalo, but I imagine it's a much bigger issue with professional football players than it is with other athletes and other civilians. Not only do football players seem to all have humongous egos, but also only playing one game a week gives you a lot more free time (not to mention the off-season is twice as long) -- and yeah, outside of an alright night life, Buffalo doesn't really have that much to offer to a multi-million dollar athlete.

And with Kovalchuk, I could see the city being a little bit of an issue. He has a family (i think three kids?) and will want what is best for them, and if that means choosing LA over Buffalo, well, there's not much competition there.

But I do believe the circumstances are different for home-grown players. Frankly, I don't care if I'm from New York City or a small somewhat poor town in the middle of no where, there's always going to be that sense of feeling at home and that sense of pride playing in front of your friends and family.

edit: not that it's realistic, but just to wrap up my thoughts here, I know that if I had played hockey and made the NHL, Buffalo would be ON TOP of my list of places to play. And I'm 90 minutes away! Kane grew up in the heart of Buffalo and is only a few years older than me-- he's seen Buffalo at it's highs and lows, I bet he would be happy to play here.

i agree but i still dont know if kane would want to play here, i figure he should want to but who knows.

[/b]

I'm not disputing anything you're saying. However, here is a bit of good news for Buffalo. It may not be much, but it is a start.

Maybe bring back his fellow russian buddy Afinogenov, offer him a huge contract and a chance to be on a contender.

I think Ruff would have to be gone before Max comes back. But, I do like the idea and think it would bare some fruit

Yay, let's build a one man team........... that's worked out real well in the playoffs..............:unsure:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that applies to just about every team out there.

Archived