I Can't Take Eastern Conference Playoffs Anymore

ntjacks79

This is coming from ME. A person who thinks the current Sabres roster has SERIOUS issues. And yet, EVERY game I watch in the Eastern Conference Semi's... I keep thinking to myself over and over during the game "we're (the Sabres) better than these guys"... except Pittsburgh (who is currently choking big-time). To me, the Bruins, Flyers, and Canadiens are laughable compared to the Canucks, Blackhawks, Sharks, and Red Wings. Heck, "fragile little kids" beat two of three out over an 82 game season. I just can't take it any more. The East s%&$^s, and the Sabres couldn't even get out of the 1st Round. :wallbash:

Embarrassed. :bag:

Disgusted. :censored:

This is what I am every night watching Versus. No wonder Regier could barely get through the season-ending press conference without crying. :cry:

This is coming from ME. A person who thinks the current Sabres roster has SERIOUS issues. And yet, EVERY game I watch in the Eastern Conference Semi's... I keep thinking to myself over and over during the game "we're (the Sabres) better than these guys"... except Pittsburgh (who is currently choking big-time). To me, the Bruins, Flyers, and Canadiens are laughable compared to the Canucks, Blackhawks, Sharks, and Red Wings. Heck, "fragile little kids" beat two of three out over an 82 game season. I just can't take it any more. The East s%&$^s, and the Sabres couldn't even get out of the 1st Round. :wallbash:

Embarrassed. :bag:

Disgusted. :censored:

This is what I am every night watching Versus. No wonder Regier could barely get through the season-ending press conference without crying. :cry:

Not a terrible rant but you could do a lot better.

Not a terrible rant but you could do a lot better.

True, I guess. I'm not really a "Ranter". ;-). But I seriously can't take watching inferior teams compete for the Cup anymore. The 1993 Canadiens are the worst team I've seen win the Cup in my lifetime. It CAN'T happen again.

True, I guess. I'm not really a "Ranter". ;-). But I seriously can't take watching inferior teams compete for the Cup anymore. The 1993 Canadiens are the worst team I've seen win the Cup in my lifetime. It CAN'T happen again.

I hate to tell you this, but the Sabres we're/are not a better team than any of the four still playing in the east right now (probably even with Philly). I'm actually drooling over a Boston/Montreal ECF.

I hate to tell you this, but the Sabres we're/are not a better team than any of the four still playing in the east right now (probably even with Philly). I'm actually drooling over a Boston/Montreal ECF.

I agree with you that Boston-Montreal would have "entertainment value" for sure. But I am SERIOUSLY not impressed with their level of play... hence my Embarrassed and Disgusted comments. If the Sabres really AREN'T better than these two, and the first-round elimination wasn't just a matter of inexperience and a couple guys who need to be off the team, than it's worse than I thought. If Pittsburgh chokes, the East has no right to even win a game in the Finals... not with these three stooges (whom apparently are better than Buffalo).

this is just a dumb statement. buffalo showed throughout an 82 season that they are better than Montreal and Boston. The head-to-head might tell you that but it's not like Buffalo won the Northeast by a point or two over Boston -- it was a solid 5 or 6 win difference. Buffalo's forwards played like ###### and Miller was pretty average, but both teams at their best Buffalo wins the best of 7 against any team alive besides maybe Pittsburgh.

I don't know what you people are thinking but when I was watching Montreal last night, I loved what I saw. That team was flying around and willed themselves to win that game. The more desperate the Pens got, the better Montreal played.

The Sabres did not play like that once and I hate to break it to you but the most talented team does not always win the Cup. The poor, poor Sabres crumbled mentally when Vanek went down and they did not deserve to get out of the first round. Boston (with injuries), Philly (being down 3-0) and Montreal (beating Caps and forcing game 7 in Pitt) ALL deserve to be where they are MUCH more than the Sabres.

As far as watching these playoffs, I am thoroughly enjoying the Habs - Pitt series. One more thing, Game one in Buffalo (which was by far Buffalo's loudest crowd noise)was still nothing compared to any of the Montreal home games....

I don't know what you people are thinking but when I was watching Montreal last night, I loved what I saw. That team was flying around and willed themselves to win that game. The more desperate the Pens got, the better Montreal played.

The Sabres did not play like that once and I hate to break it to you but the most talented team does not always win the Cup. The poor, poor Sabres crumbled mentally when Vanek went down and they did not deserve to get out of the first round. Boston (with injuries), Philly (being down 3-0) and Montreal (beating Caps and forcing game 7 in Pitt) ALL deserve to be where they are MUCH more than the Sabres.

As far as watching these playoffs, I am thoroughly enjoying the Habs - Pitt series. One more thing, Game one in Buffalo (which was by far Buffalo's loudest crowd noise)was still nothing compared to any of the Montreal home games....

That's not surprising. Montreal's crowd is 20-25% larger.

I agree with you that Boston-Montreal would have "entertainment value" for sure. But I am SERIOUSLY not impressed with their level of play... hence my Embarrassed and Disgusted comments. If the Sabres really AREN'T better than these two, and the first-round elimination wasn't just a matter of inexperience and a couple guys who need to be off the team, than it's worse than I thought. If Pittsburgh chokes, the East has no right to even win a game in the Finals... not with these three stooges (whom apparently are better than Buffalo).

But that is the team we had.

this is just a dumb statement. buffalo showed throughout an 82 season that they are better than Montreal and Boston. The head-to-head might tell you that but it's not like Buffalo won the Northeast by a point or two over Boston -- it was a solid 5 or 6 win difference. Buffalo's forwards played like ###### and Miller was pretty average, but both teams at their best Buffalo wins the best of 7 against any team alive besides maybe Pittsburgh.

Sounds like you buy right into what Darcy is selling. When have you ever seen Buffalo play better. I think they should have the words "Potential" and Underacheived" painted in at center ice. This team is exactly who we saw.

(I should have just said,"if my aunt had a ###### she'd be my uncle.")

Couldn't agree more, the Sabres wouldn't stand a chance against any team alive right now except, maybe, Philly.

About the crowd noise, I think it was because all season, the fans really never believed Buffalo was that good and we were always waiting for them to fail.

I hate Montreal, but I respect their ... uh, fanhood? There are few fans in the league that have a passion for the sport of hockey and their team like Montreal's do. There are fans here with the same level of passion - most of the posters on this forum, for example - but it is not nearly as consistent as it is in Montreal. If you took the most active, say, 100 posters here, cloned them each 180+ times and gave them all season tickets, we'd sound like they do. Unfortunately, there are far too many fans that don't fall into that category for us to sound anything like they do. Heck, I remember sitting in Tom Webster's seats (great seats, btw) and hearing people ask questions that made me wonder if they knew which team was the Sabres. I doubt you'd find many fans like that in Montreal.

+1, You saw and see exactly what I am seeing here in the playoffs as well. I also have to say Halak has absolutely shut the door at times and come of age in these playoffs for Montreal.

It also looks to me like Rask may finally have been broken by Philly but they have presented a much bigger physical challenge to Boston they we did. I laugh at that useless statistic and myth coming out of the first round loss that the Sabres outhit Boston. They may have made more contact but they definitely did not outhit them.

+1, You saw and see exactly what I am seeing here in the playoffs as well. I also have to say Halak has absolutely shut the door at times and come of age in these playoffs for Montreal.

It also looks to me like Rask may finally have been broken by Philly but they have presented a much bigger physical challenge to Boston they we did. I laugh at that useless statistic and myth coming out of the first round loss that the Sabres outhit Boston. They may have made more contact but they definitely did not outhit them.

How true.

I saw a ton of Sabres hits come on plays where a Bruin would dish the puck off, and Gaustad or Grier would come in 2 seconds later and make contact with a player 100% heads-up and ready for the "hit", as to where the Sabres would get laid out when handling the puck, or when trying to make passes.

Problem is 80% of this team don't know how to throw a decent bodycheck.

Even a big guy like Goose just looks like he hit the boards instead when he "hits" someone.

Like ######.

First of all, when was the last time two teams ever played at their best in the same game? So much of the game of hockey consists of countering what the other guys are trying to do. A huge part of being the best team is making sure the other team isn't.

Buffalo gets beat in 6 by a 7th seed Boston team without their leading scorer, and suddenly they're the best team alive? :blink:

So flippin' what if Buffalo won the division? Montreal and Boston are still playing, heck Boston knocked out Buffalo! I'd say that's a pretty good indication which is the better team in the 09/10 season.

Northeast Division title be damned, I'll take an 8th seed and some heart in the post-season over this years pitiful display any day.

The sabres would not beat any of the teams in the eastern second round.I think the sabres would have pee-ed a little in their pants had they had to play philly.Montreal would have schooled them with their work ethic.The canucks in the west were obviously over-rated,way over-rated.Boo-ongo is terrible in big games.The canadian olympic team won in spite of him not because of him.How did he get his rep?

The sabres would not beat any of the teams in the eastern second round.I think the sabres would have pee-ed a little in their pants had they had to play philly.Montreal would have schooled them with their work ethic.The canucks in the west were obviously over-rated,way over-rated.Boo-ongo is terrible in big games.The canadian olympic team won in spite of him not because of him.How did he get his rep?

While I can see where you and many others on this board would admire the fans in Montreal (I do too), and I can definitely see what many of you are saying about the Canadiens "will to win", the fact remains that without Halak standing on his head, Montreal is just AWFUL and, as down as I am on the Sabres, I can yet easily see why those "fragile little kids" would beat the "Mighty Habs" by a country-mile over an 82-game season. As for the Flyers, Danny Briere has been immense, and they clearly have played "tougher" than Buffalo, but other than that I don't see much of a threat there either. Boston? I STILL don't know how the Sabres lost to a team that has two forwards that can't make their team on the roster. This is the SABRES... the team that has no top-two lines.

:bag:

So I am STILL embarrassed and disgusted at losing to these bunch-of-losers in the 1st Round. :censored:

I hate Montreal, but I respect their ... uh, fanhood? There are few fans in the league that have a passion for the sport of hockey and their team like Montreal's do. There are fans here with the same level of passion - most of the posters on this forum, for example - but it is not nearly as consistent as it is in Montreal. If you took the most active, say, 100 posters here, cloned them each 180+ times and gave them all season tickets, we'd sound like they do. Unfortunately, there are far too many fans that don't fall into that category for us to sound anything like they do. Heck, I remember sitting in Tom Webster's seats (great seats, btw) and hearing people ask questions that made me wonder if they knew which team was the Sabres. I doubt you'd find many fans like that in Montreal.

Reminds me of this first round conversation with the bank teller:

Teller: Hi, how are u?

chz: I'm good. Hoping the Sabres win tonight.

Teller: Who are they playing?

chz: (with puzzled look) um, Boston.

Teller: again?

chz: silence. holding back on slapping her. resist. resist.

I guess Montreal gets a bit more excited because they've actually won the Cup what, 40 times?

Too soon?post-357-1273713515222_thumb.jpg

I guess so. Gotta say I am loving it in the Burgh a somber night around my neighborhood. If this isn't the best example of schadenfreude I don't know what is. :w00t:

I guess i'm just bitter. All these years, all these failures, all the excited jubilations, and the crushing defeats have left me heartless and cold to other teams losing. :angry:

All I want is one chance to bask in the glory.

I guess so. Gotta say I am loving it in the Burgh a somber night around my neighborhood. If this isn't the best example of schadenfreude I don't know what is. :w00t:

I guess i'm just bitter. All these years, all these failures, all the excited jubilations, and the crushing defeats have left me heartless and cold to other teams losing. :angry:

For tonight, and for tomorrow when you deal with your coworkers (whom you've mentioned before), just enjoy the schadenfreude. If you have ANYTHING that might suggest Montreal--even an Expos mini batting helmet from Ground Round or something--bring it tomorrow.

Ask your neighbors what that glory was like 11 months ago. And 18 years ago. And 19 years ago.

Archived