A Player Per Day: No 19: Tim Connolly

Eleven

82 members have voted

1. 1. How I feel about this player:

• 5: Must keep under any circumstances.
    • 4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).
    • 3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).
    • 2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).
    • 1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

I was on the fence as to whether the priority should be getting Roy or Connolly off the team, but I have decided Connolly needs to go first. While they both can be maddening players, Roy can be counted on to be in the lineup. He has only missed 6 games in the last 3 years, has averaged 27 goals and 71 points over the last 4 years and is signed to a good contract(4 mil cap hit) for 3 more years.

Roy stays...for now. Connolly get the **** off my team!

My guess is he has a breakout season...on another team.After Darcy gives him away for a 3rd round pick.

If Darcy uses the resulting cap space to pay a legitimate first-line center, I don't care what Conley* does on another team.

*in honor of chz.

If Darcy uses the resulting cap space to pay a legitimate first-line center, I don't care what Conley* does on another team.

*in honor of chz.

That "if" is bigger than ink/chz's left calf.

Darcy said during the presser that everyone's looking for these guys, teams don't give them up readily, you'd have to get one with a top pick and short of that, you develop from within.

The disturbing thing is that Darcy was answering a question about bolstering the center position -- nothing was said about getting a number-one center or anything. It does get so tiring, Darcy edumacating us about how this or that can't be done.

Dont care if he stays or goes. Blue made a good point. Between TC and Roy, Derek has more durability and makes less money. 4 mil for Roy isn't bad. However, TC's pay can be used on a more capabale center.

Get him outta here and spend 5 to 6 mil on a legitiment #1 centerman!

Darcy said during the presser that everyone's looking for these guys, teams don't give them up readily, you'd have to get one with a top pick and short of that, you develop from within.

The disturbing thing is that Darcy was answering a question about bolstering the center position -- nothing was said about getting a number-one center or anything. It does get so tiring, Darcy edumacating us about how this or that can't be done.

Just posted this in chz's thread on centers: http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/

There are available, true no. 1s out there, and the Sabres need to spend the money to get one. Free up cash by shipping Connelly* and someone else out, and get it done. There's no reason it can't be done. If it isn't done, well, Darcy either isn't doing his job or is being prevented from doing it.

*again, in honor of chz

That point streak seems like a long time ago.

Let's see -- the must-go's last offseason were Hecht and Tallinder.

THIS. I would like to see him go away since Hecht and Tallinder really only had one bad year after having already proven themselves, but my guess is either Darcy doesn't even try to make it happen or can't find a taker. Here's hoping for a big contract year from TC so they at least get some of what they paid for... if he becomes a valuable UFA he will probably be allowed to walk next July (or maybe moved at the trade deadline?).

THIS. my guess is either Darcy doesn't even try to make it happen or can't find a taker. Here's hoping for a big contract year from TC so they at least get some of what they paid for... if he becomes a valuable UFA he will probably be allowed to walk next July (or maybe moved at the trade deadline?).

I think you last point might be the reality of the TC situation. It might be worthwhile to see if TC can up up 60 to 70 points by the deadline. Then his value is substantially higher, which may bring in a better return.

Get this guy off my team, even if means letting him walk for a conditional 4th round pick.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

This is just insane given the link eleven posted below. :angry: They must be such freaking tightwad penny pinchers afraid to lose a dime that they buy paper from the grade schools recycling dumpsters. This ridiculous idea they keep hawking has really, really soured me on this management team. I have to admit Deluca has been right on this for a few years here on this board, a lone drum beating in the wilderness, okay so PA also gets some kudo's for being second on that bandwagon just don't know what instrument he's been playing? :unsure:

Just posted this in chz's thread on centers: http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/

There are available, true no. 1s out there, and the Sabres need to spend the money to get one. Free up cash by shipping Connelly* and someone else out, and get it done. There's no reason it can't be done. If it isn't done, well, Darcy either isn't doing his job or is being prevented from doing it.

*again, in honor of chz

Thx, nice link now lets get that angry mob meeting called to order for the next press briefing.

They must be such freaking tightwad penny pinchers afraid to lose a dime that they buy paper from the grade schools recycling dumpsters.

yet they spent right up the cap last year ...? :unsure:

seriously - they spent more than enough money for 09-10 - they just didn't spend it wisely.

There are available, true no. 1s out there, and the Sabres need to spend the money to get one.

UFA #1 centers other than Marleau? I don't see them on this list. While I wouldn't mind seeing Koivu, Lombardi or Cullen as a replacement for Connolly, they are #2 centers and that is about the best we can hope for in the offseason. Jokinen is now just bouncing around the league and Plekanec is either going to re-sign with Montreal or hit the big payday in FA(I'm not sure either of these guys would even be considered #1 centers).

Could DR pry a ready for primetime center prospect out of another teams system? I doubt it.

How are we better by giving away a player who finished second on our team in scoring, especially considering the lack of depth at center in the organization? The same guy who had more points this season than: Bobby Ryan, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Jamie Langenbrunner, Ray Whitney, et al. He also finished +10.

I'm not a huge fan of TC and agree to some extent that he is a microcosm of what ails this team but he has value IMO and I don't think it's an addition by subtraction. If there is a deal to be made then make it but just because another player wears a jersey that doesn't have a slug on it, doesn't necessarily make him better than the ones that do. Get a number one center on this team that will slot our so-called "core" forwards on lines that match their abilities instead of asking players to shoulder the load who don't have the skill to do so.

How are we better by giving away a player who finished second on our team in scoring, especially considering the lack of depth at center in the organization? The same guy who had more points this season than: Bobby Ryan, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Jamie Langenbrunner, Ray Whitney, et al. He also finished +10.

I'm not a huge fan of TC and agree to some extent that he is a microcosm of what ails this team but he has value IMO and I don't think it's an addition by subtraction. If there is a deal to be made then make it but just because another player wears a jersey that doesn't have a slug on it, doesn't necessarily make him better than the ones that do. Get a number one center on this team that will slot our so-called "core" forwards on lines that match their abilities instead of asking players to shoulder the load who don't have the skill to do so.

If people are allowed to use the argument that Drury should be brought back for his intangibles and not his numbers, then we should be able to say Connolly should go for the same reason. Mr. The Skill has got "un"intangibles, you might say. Gray Cloud, ain't no sunshine 'til he's gone.

yet they spent right up the cap last year ...? :unsure:

seriously - they spent more than enough money for 09-10 - they just didn't spend it wisely.

True that and all but it's not just the money spent but maybe some irrational fear that eating a portion of a contract or a buy out is the unwritten vodoo they just cannot do which is the real doo doo.

Archived