A Player Per Day: No 19: Tim Connolly

Eleven

82 members have voted

1. 1. How I feel about this player:

• 5: Must keep under any circumstances.
    • 4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).
    • 3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).
    • 2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).
    • 1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

How are we better by giving away a player who finished second on our team in scoring, especially considering the lack of depth at center in the organization? The same guy who had more points this season than: Bobby Ryan, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Jamie Langenbrunner, Ray Whitney, et al. He also finished +10.

I'm not a huge fan of TC and agree to some extent that he is a microcosm of what ails this team but he has value IMO and I don't think it's an addition by subtraction. If there is a deal to be made then make it but just because another player wears a jersey that doesn't have a slug on it, doesn't necessarily make him better than the ones that do. Get a number one center on this team that will slot our so-called "core" forwards on lines that match their abilities instead of asking players to shoulder the load who don't have the skill to do so.

His production has nothing to do with it.

I personally want him gone because he plays when he feels like it, skates when he feels like it, floats when he feels like it, takes weeks off when he feels like it, and what does management do? Reward him with a two year deal.

No wonder "the core" is allergic to hard work, Regier's handling of Tim Connolly has shown them it doesn't matter one damn thing if you play hard. Just show up against Tampa Bay to pad your stats, and pay-day's coming your way eventually. ######, it doesn't even matter if you play at all.

Tim's attitude disgusts me in so many ways. He has talents most players would kill for, yet has absolutely no drive or desire to become a better player. On the contrary - Tim's 100% happy being the player he is.

Until Connolly is sent packing, nothing's ever going to change around these parts.

I would consider Regier dumping Connolly to be the only signal he could possibly send to show the city that he really hates losing as much as he claims to.

But why would he? After all, isn't Darcy just the GM version of Tim Connolly, just happy cashing a handsome paycheck doing virtually nothing when called upon?

I personally want him gone because he plays when he feels like it, skates when he feels like it, floats when he feels like it, takes weeks off when he feels like it, and what does management do? Reward him with a two year deal.

No wonder "the core" is allergic to hard work, Regier's handling of Tim Connolly has shown them it doesn't matter one damn thing if you play hard. Just show up against Tampa Bay to pad your stats, and pay-day's coming your way eventually. ######, it doesn't even matter if you play at all.

Tim's attitude disgusts me in so many ways. He has talents most players would kill for, yet has absolutely no drive or desire to become a better player. On the contrary - Tim's 100% happy being the player he is.

Until Connolly is sent packing, nothing's ever going to change around these parts.

I would consider Regier dumping Connolly to be the only signal he could possibly send to show the city that he really hates losing as much as he claims to.

But why would he? After all, isn't Darcy just the GM version of Tim Connolly, just happy cashing a handsome paycheck doing virtually nothing when called upon?

Sorry you're so cynical man. Must be a sh**ty way to follow your favorite hockey team.

I voted 3.

I'd trade him for a #1 center, but that's not likely to happen due to availability, money, etc. And there's no way DR is going to trade him for a pick, which would essentially be cutting him. This guy was the second leading scorer on a team that won the division and was on the verge of finishing second in the conference. I'm sure management, rightly so, views him as having been a big part of their success in the regular season.

He sucked in the playoffs, no question about it. But they're not dumping him just because of that. It hasn't been discussed much, but they no doubt remember the way he performed in the playoffs in '05-'06 before he got crushed. He almost single-handedly turned game one of the Ottawa series around in the third with the pass to Roy for the SH tying goal, and then scrambling in front of the net to tie the game again as time was winding down. That was a few years ago now, but it's not like they don't have any reason to believe the guy can play. The two years out due to injury and the Bruins performance certainly is a drawback. But I'm guessing they look at at the fact that he was able to play most of this season, and are gambling that he'll carry that over next year and will hopefully be better in the playoffs. When you look at what's going on out in San Jose this year, after the last couple disasterous playoff seasons, it might not be the end of the world to keep him.

I voted 3.

I'd trade him for a #1 center, but that's not likely to happen due to availability, money, etc. And there's no way DR is going to trade him for a pick, which would essentially be cutting him. This guy was the second leading scorer on a team that won the division and was on the verge of finishing second in the conference. I'm sure management, rightly so, views him as having been a big part of their success in the regular season.

He sucked in the playoffs, no question about it. But they're not dumping him just because of that. It hasn't been discussed much, but they no doubt remember the way he performed in the playoffs in '05-'06 before he got crushed. He almost single-handedly turned game one of the Ottawa series around in the third with the pass to Roy for the SH tying goal, and then scrambling in front of the net to tie the game again as time was winding down. That was a few years ago now, but it's not like they don't have any reason to believe the guy can play. The two years out due to injury and the Bruins performance certainly is a drawback. But I'm guessing they look at at the fact that he was able to play most of this season, and are gambling that he'll carry that over next year and will hopefully be better in the playoffs. When you look at what's going on out in San Jose this year, after the last couple disasterous playoff seasons, it might not be the end of the world to keep him.

Agreed.

DR doesn't trade him unless he has something coming back to pick up the production. There is no one in the organization that can fill his role at the moment, which is why he got the 2 year extension in the first place.

UFA #1 centers other than Marleau? I don't see them on this list. While I wouldn't mind seeing Koivu, Lombardi or Cullen as a replacement for Connolly, they are #2 centers and that is about the best we can hope for in the offseason. Jokinen is now just bouncing around the league and Plekanec is either going to re-sign with Montreal or hit the big payday in FA(I'm not sure either of these guys would even be considered #1 centers).

Could DR pry a ready for primetime center prospect out of another teams system? I doubt it.

I'm ok with Marleau, Cullen, and Plekanec off of this list. But if there's no one on the list that would make you happy, well, guess who you're stuck with? Because I agree with you on the prospect of picking one up via a trade.

If he could ever play like he did in the 7 games he played in the 2006 playoff run, I think he would be a huge part of this team. Because he can't/won't play like he did in the 2006 playoffs, I don't see him ever being better than a 3rd line center on a team with a lot of other talent to compensate. I don't know how he could break a team record for consecutive games with a point and then pretty much disappear the rest of the season. 2 at best.

I'm ok with Marleau, Cullen, and Plekanec off of this list. But if there's no one on the list that would make you happy, well, guess who you're stuck with? Because I agree with you on the prospect of picking one up via a trade.

Like I said, I'd be okay with Koivu, Cullen or Lombardi with the disclaimer being none of them are #1 centermen. If Darcy was smart, he'd start loading up on scoring centers in the next couple of drafts.

Like I said, I'd be okay with Koivu, Cullen or Lombardi with the disclaimer being none of them are #1 centermen. If Darcy was smart, he'd start loading up on scoring centers in the next couple of drafts.

Yeah, I gotcha, but the three I mentioned either could be no 1s or could do enough damage to make other teams wonder who was the no 1. (Roy being the other option.) Draft? No. I think we want someone who can come in now. This team had a window recently, and it has another one now.

Co-sign this.

I slightly disagree. Coming out of the lockout, he did have that drive or desire to become a better player. He worked very hard leading up to that season and I thought we were finally starting to see his potential. Since he went down in the Ottawa series in 2006, he has been a shell of that player. I don't know if his string of injuries has made him hesitant, or if he just lost it when he was out for so long, but he is a shell of the player we saw that year. Maybe with the right motivation he can get back to that level of dedication...but he's not worth taking a chance on anymore. I hope he is not here next year.

I slightly disagree. Coming out of the lockout, he did have that drive or desire to become a better player. He worked very hard leading up to that season and I thought we were finally starting to see his potential. Since he went down in the Ottawa series in 2006, he has been a shell of that player. I don't know if his string of injuries has made him hesitant, or if he just lost it when he was out for so long, but he is a shell of the player we saw that year. Maybe with the right motivation he can get back to that level of dedication...but he's not worth taking a chance on anymore. I hope he is not here next year.

I agree.

But I also attribute that success to the no-touch rules, under which he really thrived.

Perhaps he should go to Spain this offseason... worked for Hecht!

I voted for #3.

Timmy C is a good player but too up and down. He shows signs of being really good for stretches but then dissappears. If he gets traded then fine. I havent read through the posts so I apologize if this was mentioned. Buffalo got absolutely no return on the Peca trade. Pyatt and Timmy never lived up to their potential.

I voted for #3.

Timmy C is a good player but too up and down. He shows signs of being really good for stretches but then dissappears. If he gets traded then fine. I havent read through the posts so I apologize if this was mentioned. Buffalo got absolutely no return on the Peca trade. Pyatt and Timmy never lived up to their potential.

Peca never lived up to his potential after that trade either...

I was on the fence as to whether the priority should be getting Roy or Connolly off the team, but I have decided Connolly needs to go first. While they both can be maddening players, Roy can be counted on to be in the lineup. He has only missed 6 games in the last 3 years, has averaged 27 goals and 71 points over the last 4 years and is signed to a good contract(4 mil cap hit) for 3 more years.

Roy stays...for now. Connolly get the **** off my team!

Tyler Ennis pretty much makes Connolly expendable. There isn't room on the team for both players that are pretty similar. But do we trade Connolly now or wait till the trade deadline and get a good player in return because a team is desperate at playoff time? I think Ennis is a better player and having both makes us too small on the top 6. Still, holding your cards till the right moment might work

Tyler Ennis pretty much makes Connolly expendable. There isn't room on the team for both players that are pretty similar. But do we trade Connolly now or wait till the trade deadline and get a good player in return because a team is desperate at playoff time? I think Ennis is a better player and having both makes us too small on the top 6. Still, holding your cards till the right moment might work

I don't see them as similar players. Both more or less "playmakers," but Ennis has a noticeable edge in speed, and definitely plays more of a 2006 Afingenov style of game (though he appears to be more responsible). Connolly can do the fancier things with the puck and is USUALLY a more accurate passer, though you wouldn't know it by his play in the post-season. Also I think Connolly is a better pure shooter than Ennis at this point in his career.

If I had to choose between the two of them, I would keep Ennis, no question. However, I think they can both help the team in different ways, and even though Connolly had a disappointing post-season, his regular season was pretty productive. And to be honest, nobody really had a great post-season aside from a handful of 3rd/4th liners, so I don't think he can be held totally responsible. If he's traded for a good return I won't be angry, but I'd like to see him around next season.

Archived