Can we now, in any way, give the Sabres a freaking break?

eball

I know folks are still upset with what they believe is a failure of the organization to "properly" equip this team for the postseason, and I'm in full agreement that the Connolly experiment should be deemed over...but with the "mighty" Capitals falling in the first round, and the putrid performance by New Jersey, I dare suggest that Buffalo is truly "not that far away" from being a legit Cup contender. One or two freaking PP goals against Boston and we'd all be crowing right now about home ice advantage through the rest of the EC playoffs. Buffalo played much better against the Bruins than can be said for the Caps and Devils in their respective series.

Just some food for thought...this team isn't the joke many make it out to be, and I'm excited about next season.

I know folks are still upset with what they believe is a failure of the organization to "properly" equip this team for the postseason, and I'm in full agreement that the Connolly experiment should be deemed over...but with the "mighty" Capitals falling in the first round, and the putrid performance by New Jersey, I dare suggest that Buffalo is truly "not that far away" from being a legit Cup contender. One or two freaking PP goals against Boston and we'd all be crowing right now about home ice advantage through the rest of the EC playoffs. Buffalo played much better against the Bruins than can be said for the Caps and Devils in their respective series.

Just some food for thought...this team isn't the joke many make it out to be, and I'm excited about next season.

So, in other words, because other teams got bounced, we should all of the sudden be happy and upbeat about "the core's" vanishing act for 6 games, leaving the rookies to fight for the season?

Because Washington got beaten by a hungry and beyond tenacious Montreal team, we should be happy with a team that probably can't even spell "hungry" or "tenacious".

Also, Ruff should get a 100% pass for his PP not existing, because - Don't forget - The "Mighty" Capitals got bounced in seven?

I'm really sorry in advance for the sarcastic tone of this post, but how anyone can ask if we can "give this team a break already" as the series we just saw, is beyond me.

And for the record - Yes, any team with a PP% of 0.00 IS a joke. Nashville and Washington didn't fare much better, but at least they both managed ONE PP goal.

We can give certain players a break, but the team is what it is, and that team didn't want it as much as the Bruins. Nobody's fault but their own. I see no reason to let them off the hook because others failed as well.

So, in other words, because other teams got bounced, we should all of the sudden be happy and upbeat about "the core's" vanishing act for 6 games, leaving the rookies to fight for the season?

Because Washington got beaten by a hungry and beyond tenacious Montreal team, we should be happy with a team that probably can't even spell "hungry" or "tenacious".

Also, Ruff should get a 100% pass for his PP not existing, because - Don't forget - The "Mighty" Capitals got bounced in seven?

And for the record - Yes, any team with a PP% of 0.00 IS a joke. Nashville and Washington didn't fare much better, but at least they both managed ONE PP goal.

We can give certain players a break, but the team is what it is, and that team didn't want it as much as the Bruins. Nobody's fault but their own. I see no reason to let them off the hook because others failed as well.

i'll agree that it is not entirely the players fault for losing in the first round.

Ironically speaking how Montreal pulled off their accomplishment with their midgets (Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez) and some big body goons. Spacek sprinkled in there, also Dom Moore with clutch moments. I wasnt watching the entire series close enough to figure out what or who was the straw that was stirring the drink for the Habs besides the goaltending.

Overall, Habs just a hungrier team.

What about the Kings :lol: Were'nt they like 15 for 20 on PP's or something ridiculous? How that work out? Playoffs are bizarre, glad I am not a betting man.

To put it simply - NO. I don't care what happened in the other series, yes the playoffs are always a crap-shoot, but I EXPECTED MORE from this team, and bowing out in the first round does not cut it for me

I'm excited about next season.

as am i, as ever.

:beer:

IMO, this team is closer to tweak mode than rebuilding mode. if they were to use some of the core assets to bring in a top-6 forward (center) and otherwise add a little more beef/sandpaper to the lineup (something they can do without trading anyone, i think), i'd be more than happy.

I don't believe Buffalo is that far off as well. Thats not the problem.

The problem is, fans such as myself have been screaming the following for 3 seasons now.

1. We need a true #1 Center

2. We need a sizable, skilled RWer

3. Stop drafting smurfs

4. We need a PPQB

and the list goes on about size.

I don't believe Buffalo is that far off as well. Thats not the problem.

The problem is, fans such as myself have been screaming the following for 3 seasons now.

1. We need a true #1 Center

2. We need a sizable, skilled RWer

3. Stop drafting smurfs

4. We need a PPQB

and the list goes on about size.

Holy contradiction Batman! You state that the Sabres aren't that far off and then you list 3 pretty sizable acquisitions.

Washington getting knocked out in the first round is supposed to somehow justify the Sabres early exit? :blink: I don't think so. :thumbdown:

The Sabres ended up blowing home ice advantage through the Conference Finals. What is their not to happy about :wallbash:

What is their not to happy about :wallbash:

Strike up the banjo and sing along with me...

So long sad times

Go long bad times

We are rid of you at last

Howdy gay times

Cloudy gray times

You are now a thing of the past

Happy days are here again

The skies above are clear again

So let's sing a song of cheer again

Altogether shout it now

There's no one

Who can doubt it now

So let's tell the world about it now

Your cares and troubles are gone

There'll be no more from now on

From now on ...

The skies above are clear again

So, Let's sing a song of cheer again

Happy times

Happy nights

Happy days

Are here again!

I could give a flying f@#% that Washington got bounced.I want results for this team.This is the team I've poured my soul into for 30 years(gawd help me).If only the people running the hockey department had the same commitment to this team that suckers like me and others have had over the years.

All it shows me is what I knew all along. The east sucks.

What happens if the Pens win the cup again? Ohh that's right, they must suck. :oops:

Have you seen the GAA of the Western Conference goaltenders? It is more of a reflection of their weakness in goal rather than a stronger offenive advantage. I would love to see Pittsburgh or Montreal prove you wrong- San Jose? Detroit? Chicago? Vancouver?? UGH... they are the overrated teams, not the Eastern ones!

Boston is a good team, they had the league's leader in goals against average and some good leadership at forward and defense. I'm not too down on our boys.

Miller reaching his full potential this season was fun to watch. The PP on the other hand... For whatever reason the B's had their number all year and it continued throughout the playoffs. It happens.

Clearly, changes have to be made for the improvement of the club. While I'm not looking for DR's or LR's head, I do agree with those who think that Connely and Roy need a change of scenery. I'd also like to see a more dynamic player wearing number 55 next year. Jochen Hecht seems like a nice guy, and that's part of the problem: There are too many nice guys on the team.

We'll see.

i'll agree that it is not entirely the players fault for losing in the first round.

Ironically speaking how Montreal pulled off their accomplishment with their midgets (Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez) and some big body goons. Spacek sprinkled in there, also Dom Moore with clutch moments. I wasnt watching the entire series close enough to figure out what or who was the straw that was stirring the drink for the Habs besides the goaltending.

Overall, Habs just a hungrier team.

What about the Kings :lol: Weren't they like 15 for 20 on PP's or something ridiculous? How that work out? Playoffs are bizarre, glad I am not a betting man.

That really is quite ironic. We didn't have a power play unit (sarcasm inserted), and we got bounced (no surprise there). We would think that a team like the Kings would have clearly dominated the Canucks with a PP unit that made its presence felt. However, even with the best of PP units, they still managed to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory. I didn't watch the Kings/Canucks series, but it sounds to me like they didn't have a very good even strength core.

What happens if the Pens win the cup again? Ohh that's right, they must suck. :oops:

Have you seen the GAA of the Western Conference goaltenders? It is more of a reflection of their weakness in goal rather than a stronger offenive advantage. I would love to see Pittsburgh or Montreal prove you wrong- San Jose? Detroit? Chicago? Vancouver?? UGH... they are the overrated teams, not the Eastern ones!

From top to bottom, the conference is weak. One team does not make a conference.

We've pretty much had the same team for three years now, and all the Sabres have to show for it is a first round exit, in 6 games, by arguably the weakest team in the playoffs. If the players remain as is, I wouldn't expect a different result next year. :thumbdown:

No, No breaks until they win The Cup. Until then the organization should be ridden and ridden hard!

Let's be fair. From 2003 on the Pens drafted 1-2-1-2 in the first round picking up Fleury, Malkin, Crosby and Staal. The highest we've picked was 5 and we got Vanek. Any team that picks that high that often SHOULD be really good.

I'm a pretty patient and realistic person...but you can't make excuses. The Sabres were the favored team, and should have been the better team. No questions asked, they should be playing Montreal right now. I'm not of the mind to flush the whole thing down the toilet, but complacency and/or semi-satisfaction with where they are right now will lead to more first-round playoff exits.

I'm a pretty patient and realistic person...but you can't make excuses. The Sabres were the favored team, and should have been the better team. No questions asked, they should be playing Montreal right now. I'm not of the mind to flush the whole thing down the toilet, but complacency and/or semi-satisfaction with where they are right now will lead to more first-round playoff exits.

That's the quote of the day and the best way I know to sum things up for this Sabres team and the playoffs.

I think you make some reasonable points. I also think most @ here knew we weren't ready to compete for the Cup. What really gets my blood boiling is the goals that mgmt and ownership set. Do we all remember last season, right near the end and after all I heard Lindy and Darcy saying was that we were 2pts out of the playoffs, we just needed to win one more game....And then they said over and over and over how the goal this year was to make the playoffs! That's when I knew we weren't a great team. Do great teams have a goal of making the playoffs b/c "hey anything can happen in the playoffs" Do you think the Red Wings have ever set a goal of making the playoffs?? @60% of teams make the playoffs! That's no :censored: goal to have!!! When this team, ie mgmt starts talking about what the REAL goal should be, then we'll be making progress.

"Playoffs...playoffs, don't talk about playoffs...are you kidding me?, playoffs..." - Jim Mora

Archived